2009 Lineup

Saw Bob n Ali on the current tour. Bob was the worst of the 5 great musicians by a long way.

At least Allison can sing…and she purti

As musicians age and reach for change, I love them for their totality… not for that one hot song or segment of fame. As I hope people will love and remember me as I change and age and reach. Totality.
The total sum of…
When I heard Robert sing softly with Alison it took some getting use to. But then after a few listens it was clear that all I needed was to listen with a fresh pair of ears…
everyday we all get just a lil bit slower :flower
Worst yikes :eek

Please, Please, Please book The Felice Brothers! They are fantastic and would be loved by festivarians young and old! Do check them out!

…I didnt even like raising sand that much. I just cant think of a good reason to listen to anymore allison krause then i already have. But if they do play, then I will listen, maybe seeing her live would change my mind…MAYBE!

She has done much much more than Raising Sand, my friend. Try listening to anything she played with AKUS, or head over to tapers.org and download the TRAKUS set from 2007’s festival. That was one of the best sets of music I’ve ever heard anywhere.

Well, somebody had to say it. If she plays, i’ll surely be there but I’ve also never really understood how strongly some folks feel about her music.

She has definitely surrounded herself with top-notch people and is a pretty respectable player herself. I have enjoyed the more than once that i’ve seen her, both AKUS and in other formations but was never blown away. She has a very lovely, sweet, emotive but non-distinctive voice. Sounds like a number of other talented women with great voices but just doesn’t set herself apart in my head and there area number of others out there that have that quality that i just don’t here in her music.

That said, to each their own and like I said, I have enjoyed the times i’ve seen her but i just don’t get the ‘angels’ sentiment.

Oh, and i hate it when bluegrass/county/americana gets sappy.

peace and be well

I’ve heard Alison described as many things, but not having a distinctive voice? Personally, I belive there is no one else on the planet who sounds remotely close to her. Aoife from Crooked Still is the most similar I suppose, but still soooo different. I have an idea: how about she comes to the fest this year and then we’ll discuss her it on the board :slight_smile:

I’m personally not much of a fan of AKUS, but I do certainly know an angelic voice when I hear one… there are only a few people that still give me goosebumps to hear sing, Alison is one of them.

Allison has one of the most gorgeous voices I have ever heard, Raising Sand is one of the best albums of 2007, I still listen to it a lot. I really hope she comes to TBF with Robert Plant> And as an added bonus, when Sam once again breaks into “Whole Lotta Love” on the fiddle (which I’m pretty sure he’ll do…again), Robert Plant can sing it with him.

wow!!! :huh
not appreciating Alison…
unbelievable, but like the old saying “opinions are like a…, we all got em” :lol
wake up, smell the roses, don’t trample them…

yes, she is as close to having an angelic voice as i’ve ever heard,
“as pure as new fallen snow” msr
my daughter’s name is Alyson, inspired by Alison
played in a campfire jam with her at Winfield in '86
I knew then she was special and spatial

Raising Sand w/Robert Plant, beautiful songs from great writers done beautifully
The Townes Van Zandt song “Nothin” is haunting…
The Tom Waits song “Trampled Rose”, equally haunting…
The final cut “Your Long Journey”, brings tears most of the time…
I want to hear it in the valley of the gods, aka, Telluride

I remember walking back to camp in 2007 after the AKUS set and hearing
someone make the comment, “it don’t get any better than that”

nuff said…
peace out :angel

Alison not only has a sweet voice, but a personality to match.
I’ve been lucky to have a brief conversation with her, and she’s a “real” person. :flower

I appreciate all the stuff about getting older etc but Im sorry that on the last tour shorn of the studio tweaking Bob Plant just bellowed at some points. And the Zep covers ? Well plain embarrassing.

The Down to The River and the other tunes sung by Ms Kraus alone was just on a different level.
She commanded dead silence in the venue, not easy in the Manchester Apollo.

Raising Sand in some parts is just a 00’s Principle Of Moments its not new ears you need just a better quality detector.

:wave I guess Robert Plant is just a big part of my coming of age… I can remember like it was yesterday, me in my bedroom billowing out one of his (pretty voulgar) lines and my mother stomping into my room yelling you will never sing that again…
I didn’t even realize what I had just sung…Too obscene to post.

Funny I never did get to see all the people that influenced me, Led Zepplen, Jimmy Hendrix, Fleetwood Mac, Frank Zappa.And list goes on…

All that said I will reserve my opinion of their live performance … :flower
Someone once told me that I look at life through rose colored glasses… to which I replied, my world :flower :peace

I haven’t seen them live so I can’t comment as to their performance. And Robert is getting older so he can’t be as good as hewas in the seventies, but he is still a much better singer then anyone in my family (especially me :lol). I’d love to see him live even if it’s just for the legend of it, so that when I’m older I can tell my kids “I saw Robert Plant and Alison Kraus at Telluride.”

My gut reaction when I first saw the lineup announced was that it was really heavy with pop-country acts. I like the diverse lineup that Telluride brings together and am usually excited about seeing some new artists for the first time, but I’m having a hard time getting excited about Kasey Chambers (I’ve been trying to get into her newest CD with some very modest progress) and am flat out disgusted by everything I’ve heard from the Zac Brown band (I’ll be hiking to a waterfall during that set!) I don’t really like the Dixie Chicks so I don’t feel like losing Martie Maguire was that big of a deal. Hopefully that frees up some money to bring in an artist that I’ve never heard of that will knock my socks off!

As Planet Bluegrass looks to round out the lineup I hope they consider some of the following “non-traditional” artists.
Fleet Foxes, Rilo Kiley / Jenny Lewis, Grace Potter, Blitzen Trapper, Avett Brothers, Jeff Tweedy, Bright Eyes, etc…

I’m really excited about Railroad Earth and the Steeldrivers can certainly rip. I wasn’t able to make it last year, so I’m actually kind of excited to see the Punch Brothers. Sam Bush, The T-Ride House Band, and Yonder should be great as always!

Hopefully a couple more of my bluegrass faves can be added in the next wave.
Leftover Salmon, Trampled by Turtles, Cornmeal, Hot Buttered Rum or Greensky Bluegrass could really help get me pumped again!

Any chance the Flecktones will be playing with Bela or is he doing a solo gig?

Word from Bela is no Flecktones, but what he does have lined up should be pretty awesome.

Hint: he has a new album coming out in March

I agree with Pudboy. Anything that I can unfortunately hear on my local pop, soft “Islands in the Stream”, light beer “country” radio station (i.e. Zach Brown Band) gets immediately shut out of my earshot. Life is too short.

I definitly agree with that. The more newgrass/bluegrass that they can get, the better! All of those bands would be great additions to the lineup!

I agree too with keeping it aligned with Bluegrass music. It is, after all, the Telluride BLUEGRASS Festival.
If it is a matter of just trying to fill up time slots with music all day, I wouldn’t mind a bit if they took an hour or hour and a half and brought back a dinner break/changing from day to night clothes time. Perhaps they could have some of the local campground jambands fill in during that time, or maybe even some young up-and-coming musicians could stand up there on that big 'ol stage and sing and play their hearts out. Singing for their supper if you will, not to mention some great exposure to the world.

With all the great music we get to hear and the musicians we get to see during the weekend, I wouldn’t feel cheated a bit if there was an hour out of each day to let everyone re-group and re-energize for the amazing acts that follow.
Just my 2 cents, or maybe I’m just getting older! HA!
Regardless, PB does a great job, and has for many, many years. We are very lucky to have them. Thank you.

Well according to the sign above the stage it is the “Telluride Bluegrass and Country Music Festival”

Anyways, I think it would be cool to see AK and RP together. I’ve seen AKUS 4 times in the last few years and they definitely have talent but sets need mixing up. They play the same songs at every show and Allison tells the same jokes year after year. They never have any guests up on stage w/ them, they don’t do any improvising and they always seem to play the “safe set”. I don’t mind traditional style Bluegrass but I just like to see some jamming other than JD solos and take a chance once in a while. Live music wasn’t meant to be perfect.