2009 Lineup

One thing that has caught my eye about this festival is how diverse the people are that attend it. I agree with pudboy on the Zac Brown Band. From what I heard of them they remind me of everything I dislike about country music, while bands like Flying Burrito Brothers and New Riders of The Purple Sage remind me of everything I love about country music. Anyway, I’m sure there is many people out there who were absolutely estactic about Zac Brown Band attending. I think that’s great, while there enjoying that show it gives me a chance to explore the magnificent paradise of Telluride, Colorado and I’m sure while I’m enjoying some band I love they’ll be out there exploring. The fact is, there is going to be more amazing music to enjoy than the average person can handle, it’ll be nice to have a brake every now and again.

I think that one of the amazing and defining things about TBF is that they don’t stick exclusively to bluegrass. I love bluegrass more then any other style or genre of music but that doesn’t mean I don’t also love the others. I loved The Frames set last year and was ecstatic when I heard that Elvis is playing this year. I also LOVED Darrell Scott and John Cowan and Brett Dennin, and they didn’t play a whole lot of bluegrass. It should be primarily bluegrass but I think we can leave room for guys like the aforementioned. This does not mean I’m looking forward to The Zac Brown Band though.

Just want to throw this out there…I saw Zach in Austin last year and was super impressed.

These guys are the real deal and can play, to boot. I think they are going to have the place rockin’. I’m really excited about this set. :dance

…and I have a feeling we’ll see them out and about after dark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ84EinHL08&feature=related

I agree with that. I dont think we can sit here and bash a band just because they made it onto Country Radio with an insanely catchy song. Yeah, they sure as hell appear to be “Mainstream Country” but did they set out to be that? Im not sure, but I would guess no. I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they are going to rip the shit out of their set.

HOT DIGGITY DOG COWBOY I’M UP FOR SOMETHIN NEW AND ROCKIN… :horsey
Loved how the officer made em turn around and face the car camera… very funny.

I must admit, I don’t really know much about Zach Brown and his band, except for that Chicken Fried song… But a very good friend of mine has decided to finally come out to Telluride this year after hearing they were added to the lineup. ZBB (and of course Railroad Earth) had a huge influence in her decision to make the trek to paradise from Arizona… So for that alone, I will check them out!!
:cheers
Not to mention, that video is AWESOME!!! ~ Thanks for posting it Dustin!!

I was floored when I heard Johnny Cash live at TBF. He kicks derier :lol
! I thought before I saw him, gee I really am not into country. Wham, he kicked my butt and taught me a lesson about pigon holeing.
The same for Dolly Pardon. I just heard her do some hard core bluegrass and Wham, Dolly does bluegrss in a big way!Wham, ya just never know :medal

Bring back Leftover Salmon!!

God bless Leftover Salmon…

:cheers

Comparing Johnny Cash and Dolly Parton to Zach Brown Band is like comparing the Beatles to Backstreet Boys.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2009/jan/22/leftover-salmon-drew-emmitt-bill-mckay/

Sounds like Leftover might have a rough year off stage.

O.K. Folks, let’s not use someone else’s misery as fodder for conversation here on the forum. Can we just leave it as LS, as we know it and if scheduled by PB, is a maybe at this point.

Now, ZBB, I’m just as open to this youngin’ as I was to Ryan last year, but I hear this one minds his manners a bit more. I welcome the chance for ZBB to turn me into a propper, as Glenn Hansard did on Sunday 2008. Isn’t that what new acts at a FESTIVVVAAALLL!!! are all about!

Speaking of Glenn Hansard…
Didn’t he mention from the stage last year that The Frames bombed Saturday night and they wanted a chance to make it up to us? Hummmmm… now that would be a Heyday Baby! :thumbsup

Auntie Hope :pickin :green

All I know is he knows how to rip my soul out. I would like another chance as well. He is intense, pure passion. I can feel his vibe from miles away… :medal

Somebody smithed me, wonder why. Bob? We don’t have to agree to be friends… :peace
There is always a tasty treat saved for the last line up reveal…
Who will it be? Dweezel Zappa, Steve Martin, Fred Flinstone… :dog

Steve Martin’s Album “The Crow” is coming out next week (initially an amazon.com exclisive). So that being said, Steve Martin might not really be out of the question. It would certainly be fun :slight_smile:

that would be excellent

The Banjo Trio! YUM!
Bela, Tony and Steve… OH PLEASE, PB, Oh PLEASE, OH PLEASE, OH PLEASE!!!

Auntie Hope :pickin :green

Steve would tear it up, I have heard him play recently and he would just knock our socks off…

as long as Steve Martin doesn’t try to do his lame Inspector Cluseau accent I’d be down with him. He just better not try to be funny, because he hasn’t been funny since “Three Amigos”

One of my very first thoughts was that Steve did not have to be funny… case he can play well. :flower

It seems like it’s a “singer/songwriter” theme this year. I would absolutely LOVE to see John Prine come back. Mr. Prine is one of the best.

Is all this bitchin about the line up a traditional January thing ?