zac brown band

:flower C’mon now folks, this is taking on a rather Non-festivarian tone. Just lighten up. Different strokes for different folks! :flower

I liked his quote about Charlie Daniels…He said something to the effect “Ihave spent the last 30 something years employing my best friends.” I thought that was an awesome quote and an incredible example of a better way to live than working for and with people that irritate the shit out of you.

I loved their set. I thought their musicianship was excellent. Thanks PBG for mixing it up for us! and bringing in Zac Brown!

I’m sorry, you don’t know what you are talking about. Zac Brown is about as far from “pop country crap” as you can get.

Not only is his country music original and distinct, he is about the music. I witnessed this firsthand Thursday night at the Fly Me to the Moon Saloon. Toward the end of the Oakhurst’s first set, Zac Brown and his band showed up and hung out in the audience. During the set break, I approached him and he was very nice to talk to. But that’s neither here nor there. What made the night special was when he took his band on stage with Oakhurst and proceeded to play “Rollout” by Ludicris. I never thought I’d hear the words, “Can you make that fiddle cry” during a Ludicris refrain before, but man am I glad I did! It was one of the highlights of the week!

Thanks goes out to Planet Bluegrass for inviting the Zac Brown Band. They not only belonged there, they helped make the entire week special for many who came to watch bluegrass and ended up learning about other talented musicians along the way.

I videotaped the song on my Nikon and have it on my MySpace page. Yes, I’m one of the few who hasn’t converted to FaceBook yet. As soon as I figure out how to post it to YouTube, I will. When that happens, I’ll post a link on here for those that want to check it out.

I had actually never heard of 'em before! I thought they were excellent!!!

jealous! I need to a) stay up later and b) stay in town park.

I liked zac brown. There was no one I didnt like. Plus, my 1yr-old danced to zac brown band and thats the ultimate approval.

Interesting how the South always gets tagged as racist. I’ve been all over the US and outside it, too. I’ve noticed that there are rednecks in pretty much every corner of the country, but rednecks don’t have a corner on the racism market. Racism is alive and well everywhere including Colorado and California. But at least it is mostly confined to those people who are ignorant of other cultures and afraid of having their own beliefs challenged. There are several cities in the south that are culturally diverse and proud of it, Houston Texas comes to mind as does New Orleans, Miami, Atlanta, Charlotte, and Nashville.

I live near Nashville and have seen and heard Charlie Daniels on stage and in the news countless times. I’ve never heard Charile Daniels say anything racist and he is well thought of in Nashville, a town full of other musicians. So, BW, you might want to rethink your own stereotypical view of a segment of the US you obviously have little experience with, first hand.

Anyway, Zach Brown and Band cooked and was anything but modern pop country. They were down home, feel good, “Southern” and proud of it country and I thoroughly enjoyed their act. Admittedly, “The Devil…” is well worn and lacks in originality, but the band plays to people who wanna hear it or they wouldn’t play it and they pulled it off well. Had never heard them before but I will make it a point to go see them again. Kudos to the Planet Bluegrass for expanding our musical menu.

Until this thread I never gave any thought to Mr. Daniels’ personal views. His web site has a soap box which gives his opinions. They are very right wing, enough so I’ll try and keep my money out of his pockets, but I’d have to say he doesn’t appear to be racist is any definition of the word that could be agreed on by a majority.

I assumed when Zac called him a hero it was for his music. Agree with Charlie Daniels or not on politics, he clearly his a very talented musician. His band always rocks live, and I’ve seen live a couple times and his politics never got in the way of a good set.

I certainly agree with you Apollo. I would hope that Zac digs Charlie Daniels for his music, not his politics.

BUT for those who think Charlie Daniels isnt a racist, here is a few interesting links…

http://nashville.metblogs.com/2006/06/03/racist-paraphernalia/

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f12/charlie-daniels-next-great-racist-402124/

http://blogcritics.org/music/article/charlie-daniels-will-not-be-on/

I cant begin to tell you how much you guys are killing my Festival buzz with all this political crap! The discusion was about liking/disliking a set of music by a band @ TBF.

Brian,

I know you are a Forum Addict but, brother, this is one of the prices of addiction (i.e. reading every post). Now that you see how your addiction takes away the joy in a buzz hopefully you will learn how to let some posts go and choose to ignore certain posters. It’s for your health, my brother! :wink:

Now as Abraham Lincoln said in Bill&Ted’s Excellent Adventure " Now, party on, dude!" :devil

Best,
Billy

“You can please some of the peopls some of the time but ya can’t please all of the people all of the time.”
well said landshark
and thanks for the greyhounds at the sammy bush show
drank them on into the crooked still nightgrass show
never knew they were called greyhounds till the bartender informed me at fly me to the moon that they were called greyhounds . . . . . it was so packed in there it was hard to yell “i’ll have two vodka and grapefruits!!!” over the awesomeness of crooked still and friends…
and thanks for holding a spot for us too useless joe, yall are awesome!

Thanks HarleyD for setting the record straight about the south. I’m a southerner too and get tired of people thinking everyone’s a racist down there. defending whats good about the south takes a lot of energy… BTW, did you know the KKK’s largest membership ever was in good ol Denver Co.? Yep. So much for that stereotype. But I digress.
Zac Brown had charisma! That chicken song had me laughing hard! I too was extremely tired of ‘Devil went down to Ga.’ when it came out, but hey, I’ve heard Blackberry Blossom and Rockytop a thousand times too but it’s how its done that counts. I enjoyed 'em, and I hope they’re invited back, although I think they should be one of the night bands. They made me wanna drink whiskey and dance around…like a southern redneck!

Brian,

I know you are a Forum Addict but, brother, this is one of the prices of addiction (i.e. reading every post). Now that you see how your addiction takes away the joy in a buzz hopefully you will learn how to let some posts go and choose to ignore certain posters. It’s for your health, my brother! :wink:

Now as Abraham Lincoln said in Bill&Ted’s Excellent Adventure " Now, party on, dude!" :devil

Best,
Billy
[/quote]
Well Billy, once again you have nailed it! I will now commence the partying! Thanks for setting it straight for me. :lol

and thanks for holding a spot for us too useless joe, yall are awesome!

Our pleasure Dayton, too bad we could not have actually talked! :lol Hope you are taking good care of our little Lala. :cheers

shes awesome
im sure she’ll want to tell yall all about it, so i wont say too much
but, the flower festival in sc was great… tony rice and terry baucom with mtn heart was stellar
and lalagay should be in ny sometime this evening to see claire lynch this week…
hope yall made it safely back to st.louis useless joe, yeh, next year we’ll have to find time to talk… the music just grabs hold of ya sometimes ya know :woohoo

last we spoke she was good
she had gotten to her hostile in ny and is going to see claire lynch tonight

Ohhh I’m sorry for not keeping in touch!

I’m doing great and I miss you all sooo much!!

See you next year!!!

Just uploaded this set to http://cotapers.org/torrents.php

Wow a good old fashioned punchup on the forum and Im somehow now involved :lol :lol

Where’s me white pointy hat and burning cross ???

“I’m sorry, you don’t know what you are talking about. Zac Brown is about as far from “pop country crap” as you can get.”

Actually, you don’t know what you are talking about, check this out. Sure seems like pop country crap to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0-VOI1l9H4