Who would you like to see at Folks Festival?

I love seeing the small bands not a lot of people know about at folks fest and I just saw an awesome band this weekend at Avo’s in ft. collins- Steppin in it (http://www.steppininit.com/) from Michigan
Kind of bluegrass inspired folk with a cajun twist- tight vocals, energy, great songwriting, dobos, harmonicas, trombone, accordian, guitar, bass… and only 4 guys! Wow!
Also- I love Dar Williams- she should definitely come back.

I also saw Steppin’ in it. They would be a perfect fit. Would also love to see Slipstream and Crooked Still play in that oh so beautiful place. Lyons…

Neko Case, Sufjan Stevens, Okkervil River, Iron and Wine and Mountain Goats. But would take just Neko if everyone else is booked :wink:

Mountain Goats - nice. :thumbsup John Darnielle (Mountain Goats leader) is one of my favorite modern lyricists. Have you see him/them play live?

I, too, would love to see Sufjan Stevens. Apparently he just played at the Kennedy Center and they had like 3,000 camping out for the 1,000 tickets.
Sufjan in D.C.

Sufjan!! :thumbsup

How about Danielson ?

I’ll Second or third, whatever , The Mountain Goats!

No, unfortunately haven’t had the opportunity to see them yet, someday soon hopefully. I agree that Darnielle’s lyrics are great - it’s like musical storytelling.

I hadn’t seen the insanity for the Sufjan show. Apparently it was for free tickets so that was must have been part of the draw. He’ll be in Denver in April for a show at the Fillmore, but I’m probably going to miss that one. Maybe next time :frowning:

Xavier Rudd is playing Bonaroo, that means he’s in the Country :thumbsup

In response to Brian’s post on the other thread about the lineup I’ll throw a few more names into the ring.

Rocky Votolato
Matt Nathanson
Bonnie Prince Billy
Damien Jurado

Ray Lamontagne

Andrew Bird

M. Ward

I’ll second Andrew Bird!!! :thumbsup

Rusted Root!!!

I’ll add my votes for Neko Case, Todd Snider (B double E double R U N), Xavier Rudd, and the Be Good Tanyas. I also saw a vote for Hem, for whom I would stuff the ballot box with votes!

Christine Kane, Uncle Earl, Wendy Colonna (Austin, TX), Stacey Board http://staceyboard.home.att.net/, and Kristen Hall (if she could be persuaded to come!)

If I’m dreaming big: Bonnie Raitt, Indigo Girls, Tracy Chapman, and Dixie Chicks

They played TBF in 04? 05? And did great even though it was sleeting/hailing at the time. They sold out their spot at Swallow Hil lin Denver before Avo’s too. Definitely singer-songwriter with Josh’s new album and some of their other work.

A new Australian, as seems to be the pattern, is always good to hear.

Utah Phillips again, or the latest incarnation of the Kingston Trio…

Second that M. Ward, maybe he’ll bring Jim James and Bright eyes along, sweeeet

For a local flavor, my vote is Boulder Acoustic Society. Wonderfully eclectic and diverse, with a great swing flair. Perfect for a sunny Sunday afternoon.

A few more to add:

Los Lobos Acoustic – This would be a great Saturday night closer, with a mix of traditional Mexican music and standards in the band’s rich catalogue.

Gillian Welch & David Rawlings

Robyn Hitchcock – especially if you pair him with Gillian & David and they play most of the excellent collaboration, Spooked.

If anything, I would like to see a few more upbeat artists, as I felt last year’s Folks Festival missed a few of those types: Such as Taj Mahal and the Mammals in 2005.

I agree! BAS would be perfectly splendid for any of the festivals. I can definitely picture it now. It’s a lovely sunny day in the rocky mountains, with the sounds a peaceful string quartet flowing through the air…

I gotta go with Carol King. That would be pretty amazing from my point of view.

Yes Yes! My wife and I feel the same way. She’s perfect, especially with living room format she been touring with :thumbsup :thumbsup

Carole King as a Sunday night closer would be sweet!! Yes! Yes! Yes!

And unlike Ani DiFranco, there would not be a problem with drunk
& disrespectful people like there was last year.

Also, another vote for Be Good Tanyas.

dave gerard, incredible singer song writer. one of the founders of the early eighties bands called “Savoy Truffle”. They broke in the west in the early 90’s. Dave is now doing a solo gig and is worthy

Someone mentioned Tracy Grammer, pretty sure she is playing Folks this summer. At least she told fellow Festivarian Fred Ellert she is booked for it, back in Nov. when she was at the Ark.

Nice to read the kind words about Steppin In It, maybe the best of a very good crop of younger artists on the underrated Michigan folk/acoustic scene. Would love to see them get a slot on PB stage and guarantee they’d blow the crowd away. They thrive at festivals.