“The Best Bluegrass Band of All Time”

Planet Bluegrass just dropped a hint on Instagram and said something about the Best Bluegrass Band of all time and a headliner being announced soon. What band do you think they are referring to as the “best?”

My bet would be the Del McCoury Band. Hard to top that quintet.

Taking a stab in the dark: New Grass Revival?

I think it has to be NGR. What a treat that would be

If they can get Pat Flynn back on the same stage wuth Sam, that would be a miracle.

Yea I think Sam has pretty much said that ship has sailed.

My first thoughts were it might be the Planet being cheeky with us, and maybe it’s not a Bluegrass band at all! I mean how do you choose the greatest of all time, and wouldn’t that have to be Big Mon?

1 Like

:wave I’d place a bet that they’ll announce Bela Fleck’s My Bluegrass Heart. :cheers
Last night in MPLS they played NGR’s ‘When the Storm is Over’.
Great to see the THB on the road. Dreamin’ of the festivaaaal field, fersure! :lovedr

It would appear you’re right: Lack of New Grass Revival reunion rankles John Cowan - Bluegrass Today

PB said on IG that it isn’t the house band. Hm… who could it be?!

Sam put out a video of an old NGR song yesterday on his facebook page. Maybe it is a possibility.

1 Like

He’s also wearing a NGR shirt!

Going out on a limb but could the Planet having some fun here by promoting a set of Bela’s My Bluegrass Heart and having practically every musician who played on the album be part of the set? Most of these artists are regulars anyway and playing together would certainly qualify them as the greatest bluegrass band of all time.

Edit: just saw Swander’s post. You are da man…

My Bluegrass Heart is my guest. I’m assuming most of those artist will be there.

[quote author=BillyBeru link=topic=38984.msg162407#msg162407 date=1638467230]
Going out on a limb but could the Planet having some fun here by promoting a set of Bela’s My Bluegrass Heart and having practically every musician who played on the album be part of the set? Most of these artists are regulars anyway and playing together would certainly qualify them as the greatest bluegrass band of all time.

Edit: just saw Swander’s post. You are da man…

Exactly, BillyB! No, you da damn man! :medal :burn
And just think of the other sets that could be?!? Molly+Billy+Sierra? So many possibilities…mind boggling… :lovedr :abduct

Tenacious D??? Way to get everyone pumped.

Are you guys trying to not sell tickets? Usually you’d wait until after the on-sale to announce something like this.

I guess this could be fun and I’ll take it over another weird Dierks skit set but what a bizarre way to announce this.

Couldn’t agree more. Will be fun I’m sure but extremely odd move to get everyone’s hopes up so much just to announce this.

that was verbatim what I told Cay this morning after seeing the announcement. Looking forward to seeing Sam sit in with them, who knows what this will entail!