TBF 101 for families

We are coming with our (will be) 13 month old son! We are camping on Warner Field, and also LOVE that idea! If there are any other families on Warner Field, I’d love to camp near one another so that we can be sure of respectful neighbors! As far as babysitting, I’m sure we’ll be around the campsite most nights (since Birdie is so young) so I’d be into watching some kiddos! Please be in touch friends! Looking forward to getting out in the mountains for some beauty and music! :flower
Lauren, Aran, and Birdie :wink:

We’ll be in TP with Zoie who will be 18mos old at that time. We’d love to find some other families with toddlers to camp next to. Anyone here going to be in Town Park?

I am wondering if it might be smarter to camp somewhere else… not sure yet, but i’m sure if we wanted to camp at WP we wouldn’t have too much trouble trading our TP passes.

Any Opinions / Advice appreciated!

-Andy, Erin, & Zoie

You will have a great time in TP. I YOu may want to camp closer to the waterfall and closer to the hillside by the water fall, this is an area that is not so loud and the water fall drowns out the sound from the nearby fun group from Steamboat Springs. There are qutie a few kids in TP so if you have the tickets I would keep them, you will glad that you did. Just my 2 cents.
-T

Dancin-Feet,

We surely appreciate your advice! We’ll be trying to get up there as early as possible in the week to secure some real estate in a quieter area of TP. We sure are excited!

-Andy, Erin, and Zoie

Hi, glad to hear there are so many families with young kids. We are also newbies and will be bringing our 3 year old. We have a site at Mary E, but there are no more vehicle permits at Mary E. What does this mean? We just don’t get to camp near our vehicle? Or do we have to park it somewhere very far away?

Also, I would love to hear suggestions about what gear to bring. I saw several posts about sun shades and low back chairs…

It may depend on when you get there. There is a parking lot very close by, but if it fills up you may end up parking farther away and have to take the shuttle. :wink:

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm319/courtnessj/milk.jpg

Kids, they are everywhere, even in my tent!!!

If Chicken and I set up our sunshade in the back/side area, will we still be able to see the stage? I’ll probably change my mind, but we were thinking it might be easier for us to just stay along the fence the entire time.

Was at the festival last year with our 8 month old daughter and will be back this year. We set up a sunshade right behind the line (which is about 3/4 of the way back from the stage) and we could hear perfectly and see (more or less). In the end it made a perfect base for keeping the little one out of the sun, a good place for playing or naps and when we wanted to see one of the shows up close we were always able to find a tarp to share right up front…

In order to get into the front row of the sunshades I got up early and got in line for the land rush. Not as early as the real players who were vying for a spot up front but earlyish nonetheless (strange but I like the line and the community of the tarp line).

The kids area (in the hockey rink) was also great, and absolutely teaming with kids of all ages, out of the sun and while our 8month old was a little too young for most of the activities there was plenty for her to see and do. As she will be almost two this year we think she will like it even more.

Either way she loved the festival last year and we were psyched we took her. To this day anytime I finish playing a song or a song ends on the radio, she claps.

Hope to see all of you with young kids in Telluride.

Mitch (from SF).

Hi everyone -

I just found out that I get to bring my 6 year old niece to Telluride. We camp in Town Park. I have no kids of my own - anyone have any advice on the “must have” items for kids?

• Kim

:wave Hi Kim…

I’d suggest you start on page one of this thread, and then come back with more questions :thumbsup

Ear Plugs, a stainless water bottle, sunscreen, finger food snacks, and a nice broad brimmed hat are a must.

Wait a minute ! That applies to big kids too… :lol

Can I go Yet?

Thanks for the advice - from what I’ve read - everything is the same as what I bring for me! :slight_smile: In addition, I have a jump rope, bubbles, bike, temp tatoos… ok - wait - I usually bring that stuff for me as well. Hmm - maybe I just need extras of everything that I bring.

• Kim

I agree with Brian, the hockey rink seemed like it would be good shade but we baked. The grass area was good.

We’ll be setting up the Blue Shark in Ilium this year, didn’t move fast enough to get Town Park or Warner. Oh yeah, thanks to everyone who worked so hard to do the kids tent last year, it was great just warm.

Remember that is considerably cooler up by the falls … both during the day and at night when cool turns to cold. You might also look in the primitive area that is across the bridge… it is really quiet there and i know several people with very young ones who have chosen that area in the past.

LuAnna

So, forgive me for being redundant. This is our first time to TBF, and we are coming with our 3 year old boy. So, three-quarters of the way up the hill from the stage is a line? a rope? and behind that you can place shade tents over tarps? Once you set it up, it can stay there all day? all festival? When do you set it up–what is the game and strategies to get a good spot? I am assuming there are tons of kids in this area. Also, is the kid’s tent near this area? Also, is there food and water to buy on-site? Can you bring in coolers, or just backpacks with food?

And, when you want to move closer to the stage, or after we put the kid to bed and come back for the late show, people will let us share the empty space on their tarps up by the stage? Is there a standing/dancing/ga section up by the stage?

Sorry, lots of questions, but I am really looking forward to this and just want to know! Thank you much and see you all there.

it’s not really a hill… it’s a field… but yes, the back section is full of sunshades… tons of those Kelty things and some EZ ups. These are usually taken in AFTER the tarp run… way more casually along with the folks who are carrying chairs to their tarps.

Coolers can be taken in… with no glass or alcohol. Coolers, backpacks and such are inspected at the gate.

once you have your spot, you have it for THAT day only. The same routine occurs every morning.

and yes, it’s the best place for hte little ones, but the sound is still loud enough everywhere that earplugs for the kids are recommended.

there is a dancing area right behind the sound booth where no one sits… and there is standing dancing over to the side of the stage. The area directly in front of the stage is a walkway only and can be used very briefly for picture taking.

did that cover all of your questions?

have a GREAT festival!

LuAnna

LuAnna covered it pretty well spurtis but I wanted to second her comment about volume back there. There’s a speaker line before the sunshades and sometimes it can be louder than closer to the front. Earplugs are a must if only as a just in case.

You definitely don’t want to get involved in the land rush with sunshade gear but I think some of those folks follow in not too long after if they want a spot in the first row of shades.

And anytime you want to adventure up closer, consider it a chance to get to know some other festivarians and make your way on up. There is always unoccupied tarp space and most everyone is happy to share.

Happy festivating and get ready, you’re going to have a hard time doing anything else over solstice weekend after this. :thumbsup

I have another newbie question. Are the playgrounds and swimming pool at TP open during the festival?? My kids sure hope so!! :slight_smile: Thanks. Big Al :wave

from what i remember . . . yes?? hmmm . . . don’t seem too sure of myself there, do I . . . a little help?