Suggestions for Guitar Instruction DVD

Howdy All,

I was given a guitar and have no experience playing, but want to learn at my own pace. Thought a DVD might be the way to go…

Was hopeful someone might be able to make a solid recommendation true beginner instructional DVD. Thought this might be a good way to get started before lessons.

Thanks,

Pete :thumbsup

Hi Pete. Best of luck in your new journey. I’m sure you’ll love it!

There’s definately a ton of DVD’s you can pick from to get you started. I would recommend a less expensive way and go to youtube. Just search “beginner guitar” and you’ll come up with a variety of excercies from scales to learning basic chords.

I can not stress enough to pay full attention to everything and not try and cut corners. Once you start a habit, it can be hard to break. So really concentrate on hand position, posture, strum pattern, etc. Play what you are trying to learn at a speed you can control. Don’t worry about playing things fast. Speed will come. I’ve got a million other recommendations (most becouse I screwed them up learning) - but will leave it at that.

Enjoy!

Thanks Pen - will check it out!

Pete

Another thing I was thinking about - what are your goals? If you want to be a strummer - concentrate on your basic chord shapes (like G, C & D) and you’ll be up and running in no time. If you would like to be able to solo and flatpick, I would recommend learning scales.

Feel free to ask plenty of questions here - it’s a great forum!

Hi Pete,

Are you planning to play acoustic or electric? If you would like to learn the acoustic guitar, another great place to go for some easy guitar songs and beginner lessons is http://rhythmstrummer.com.

We have both song and technique lessons, a music history blog, and a how to practice guitar blog that covers basic theory and practice techniques.

The website’s focus is on practicing together, so both the instructors and the fellow students will be right there with you. I am a beginner on the guitar too, so I will also be there practicing from time to time. I hope to see you there.

Sincerely,

Nick