Last-ish chance for '08 TBF Feedback >>>>

And bacon does taste better without the layer of dust. :flower

[quote author=BillyBeru link=topic=5132.msg37239#msg37239 date=1237341435
I don’t if Apollo’s 99% comment is racist but it sure smacks of ignorance to think that the only people to burn are white/caucasian.

Was that really written? :eek
[/quote]
It was a joke :slight_smile: I come from a mix family, very mixed. I don’t recall my rather dark skin grandfather every burning like the Norwegians do at family picnics. My grandmother was a very fair skin Irish/English women that could take the sun for about 15 minutes before having to find shade. Folks have different skin color for a reason (white skin reacts to the sun differently), is there reason not to acknowledge it? We also did, and my Chinese sister-in-law would make comments I am not going to dare repeat/ She thought it was funny how her relatives had to run for cover, but yes she burned if she wasn’t careful. Diversity is wonderful, but no reason to be PC about it.

But that is off topic. Outside of shade I’m really happy with the Festival.

If I remember correctly that “Water Truck” you all are speaking of is really laying down Fish Emulsion. This solution holds down the dust a lot longer than plain water… and doesn’t smell at all! It came around at least once every morning in 2007 and not at all in 2008. I think the Hippie gave me this little tid-bit during my first Land Rush. Jerry, can you confirm?

I’m with JailHouse Rob on this one… no truck? Get the hose out. There was too much road dust to breathe at times last year.

Here’s something else that REALLY helps keep the dust down:

DRIVE SSSLLLOOOWWW IN THE TOWN PARK CAMPING AREA, PLEASE!

Low road dust means we get a nicer visit over at Camp Jail House with Tommy and Rob because they won’t be begging every passing vehicle to slow down at the top of their lungs!

Auntie Hope :festivarian2 :green

Here’s something else that REALLY helps keep the dust down:

DRIVE SSSLLLOOOWWW IN THE TOWN PARK CAMPING AREA, PLEASE!

YES, please… Not only does it keep the dust down, but there are many little festarvarians around this area and a guide dog!

Uh, free beer would make this festival PERFECT! Fat Tire could donate the beer this year right? In celebration of Jerry’s 25th year?

I like the way you think :cheers

I’ll go ahead and address one issue that’s been brought up a couple of times…

Free Beer.

In good faith that the privilege will not be abused by those already sufficiently hydrated, I will speak for Planet Bluegrass and NBB and say that we can accommodate with one style of a special refreshment for free during the festival. It’s a particularly light brew, and consequentially has a very low amount of alcohol (tests show levels from 0 all the way to 0 in ABV).

You may try this special brew we’re calling “water” (name is still in the works) as much as you’d like at our tentatively named “water station” inside the festival grounds.

Look for the banner.

We will not be offering free beer at the regular KOTO beer booth in order to maintain the ability to keep up with the demand for those that wish to purchase a hardier brew. All beer sold at the KOTO booth inside the festival grounds will remain full of a varying degree of alcohol %, color, density, aroma, and taste…as well as reasonably priced. :slight_smile:

…and now back to our regularly scheduled conversation…

Dirty feet stations, where you can rinse off yer feet and free banana stations…

SUR, geeez :lol

But seriously, dust control would be appreciated. It was hard for me to breath last year…everyone loves to dance in place and it really does kick it up…I loved it when the firetrucks came and gave us a huge squirt… What year was that? Water will not be wasted in my opinion on dust control… :flower

:wave Is this what you mean by “feedback”?

Well, it didn’t take long for that to get shot down. Worht a try at least. Water station kicks butt though. Great resource to use when bringing your dehydrated zombie-like friends(or self) back to festival form.

About the only thing I could suggest is that I’d love to see soundboards recordings of all the sets (at least all the sets that allow taping) available for purchase on the website after the festival, similar to what SCI, Gov’t Mule and Widespread Panic all do.

Just to be clear, I’m not talking about disallowing taping, but having the soundboards would be great for those shows that a taper might have missed, or elected not to tape, or where there was a lot of wind distortion etc.

I’m on your side Dustin. :thumbsup The one thing you didn’t mention is that this is KOTO’s major fundraiser every year. I support two stations annually in GJ and Paonia, which are great stations. The times I have had the opportunity to make a few turns in Telluride, listening to KOTO while carving some great turns on the blue’s or the powder in the steeps, is something I always look forward to. Great public station and has great support in the valley. All those belling up to the bar should gladly pay the price for a fine brew, but also thank the volunteers that put up with the hours and sometimes, some rude people. Support you local public radio! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
Enjoy the fest…drink responsibility and be cognizant of you fellow festivarians. That way all will have a great experience!
Thanks again for all the Planet does!

At the Jailhouse…Rob!

EWWWWWWWWWW! you know Tom, all those months i lived with you and you never asked me to cook you dust covered bacon for breakfast . . . and not even for martini hour! hmmmm . . .

Caution :geek a Dirty Martini is not to be taken literally, literally :flower

I like this idea! Telluride Blues n Brews has offered this in the past and it’s a nice way to get the shows you really liked. I love hearing the sets again and many people who aren’t “tech savvy” never get to hear their favorite sets again. Maybe even getting the artists on board and have the proceeds go to a local charity or something supporting youth music programs. I’d totally help out with that.

I also definitly support the idea of providing soundboards of the shows. I was at a smaller type festival in Wisconsin that provided soundboards of every single show that occured. They would record it, duplicate it, and have it ready for a cheap sale price in a couple hours. I think it was maybe 5 dollars a show? That would be a great great thing for Telluride to do. I would purchase a good bunch of the shows. Most acts play their best at Telluride!

lol

I’m with Tom on the picnic tables. They used to be there, but then folks started homesteading on them so that was gone. If they are brought back, then only folks who are actually eating or saving a spot for someone who is in line getting the food should be there, and leave when they are finished if others are waiting.

Last year the dust was really bad. Please bring the trucks around more often.

Please don’t have the portapotties in the festival grounds cleaned during the afternoon sets; can’t hear a damn thing when they are running. Let them do it earlier or later.

As far as umbrellas and other things. If you are coming in for the day and you have to bring all you might need for the day, by all means bring them. The weather can change in a heartbeat, and if you happen to be the unlucky one who forgot their umbrella and no one wants to share, your day can be rather soggy and cold.
My motto is it’s better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

One more thing. Two years ago there was a guy next to me who thought he needed to talk as loud and vulgar as he possibly could to no one in particular throughout an entire set which was later in the day when the crowd starts getting thick up front or I would have moved. There was no way I wanted to hear about his former conquests and who he’d seen before etc. etc. blah blah blah at the top of his voice. Even requests from his companions to shut up fell on deaf ears.
So please, if you feel the need to have a LOUD conversation, take it over to the river. I’m there to hear the music, not some obnoxious loudmouth.
Talk during the breaks, listen during the sets, or at least talk quietly, please.

More picnic tables -GOOD!

Also, smaller tarps!
Thanks, Anthony

Just got back from Jazz Fest in New Orleans. They, too, have the soundboard CDs available, but not for ALL artists. And it’s very easy to get them. You can pre-order them from their tent prior to any and all shows that they show as being recorded, and either pick them up a day later (they do a little mixing to improve the sound) or they will mail them to you a week or so after the fest. OR you can order them right after the show. OR you can order them on line anytime, although some bands (actually their record companies) limit the number available for sale.

Check it out at https://www.munckmusic.com/wms/jazzfest/index.html

By the way, Jazz Fest is a great festival. It’s huge (11 stages/tents, up to 125,000 people a day) but they really have their stuff together. Wonderful food, excellent and cheap transportation, the best VIP seating EVER, top-notch acts and friendly people. They even have a forum that’s second only to this one!