Beginners' update

Correct Landy - some models are deeper than others. A few measurements you’ll want to consider (and need to play some to see what you like)

-nut width (how wide apart the strings are).
-body style (previously noted). Dreadnaughts are the larger type. They also make O, OO & OOO (O being the smaller). All of the O’s are smaller body styles than Dread’s.
-neck profile. Some necks are thicker than others. Find a guitar that your hand can easily play.

A first thought might be to get a Taylor Big Baby. They have a solid top and are a bit on the smaller size. They’re fairly popular so you should be able to find one. I often find them used on craigslist for under $300 (saw one last month under $200). Also, they’ll have good resell so when you upgrade, you can likely get your money back out of it. There’s also a Blueridge up on Craigslist right now. Would be a good buy if you can get him down to under $300 IMO.

Pen you are the man!!! I choose a Taylor and it fits me like a glove! Nice tone and the neck is just right for me. I am very excited to dig in. :cheers

Which one did you get? They certainly make some nice guitars. Now - be ready to take some good natured ribbing from hard core bluegrass players. :slight_smile:

The guitar is just for writing and accompanyment. My mandolin is for Bluegrass. As soon as I got home with my Taylor. I picked up my Mandolin and started playing ONLY bluegrass pickin tunes. I really want to stop all that strummin on my mandolin. And I will starting yesterday. Already doin much better pickin.

Now after trying on tons of guitars and strummin em the Big Baby Taylor is my choice… feels so good. I think I’m in love :lol

I had Shawn from Woodsongs play a $4500.00 guitar so I could hear it. Man, the depth of tone was outstanding…really nice.
Thank you Shawn from Woodsongs in Boulder. Really walked away informed and felt like you really helped me pick just the right guitar… :medal

Whats the most you have paid Pen?

Sooo I would love to hear a Martin compared to a Taylor at the same price level. Do you think I will be able to hear a tone delivery difference?
I am soooo curious…

I didn’t get to try a Martin and now I just HAVE to hear one now!!! SOOOOOOOO, sooo curious :medal

Thanks for your help Pen on that, I was so anxious to get at it, that once I started touching and hearing and seeing the real differences, well what can I say :lol

I was just really ready for a guitar. :festivarian2

I’m glad I’m in good hands. You are so informed and share, thanks ,if your not a teacher, you should be :medal

Next a Cello!

Most I’ve paid for a guitar is my 2001 Martin D28. I got a pretty good deal and bought it for $1400 (used of course). I shudder to think what I would have bought (and paid) where I single with no kids. My dream guitar is a 1960’s Martin with Braz. Rosewood. The ones I like I see in the $5k range right now. Someday…

Now - I’ve spent about $2k on mandolins on a couple occasions - and then bought a few others for around $1k. IMO, you can get a lot of instrument for under $2k (but over $1k). That’s my financial “sweet spot”. :slight_smile:

What guitar was Shawn playing? I know how you feel about hearing a really nice sounding instrument. Nothing like feeling the low end right in your chest. That’s why I like Martin’s so much. Their low end is amazing.

Have fun with the Taylor!

That is so cool that you said that, I positioned my guitar over my body so I could feel the low end and play-feel-sing it. Don’t have to hear myself, just feel it. Trying to get the feel of what it would be like if I wanted to jam but could not hear myself play in the circle.

In response to your question about Taylor vs Martin - you should check out any number of guitar message boards. Good gracious - it’s been argued up and down and sideways which is better. Good entertainment.

My 2 cents.

It’s not just the make - more so - it’s the model. A high end Taylor will sound better than a low end Martin any day of the week - and visa versa. When you match up the models - it boils down more to preference. Martins are voiced differently than Taylors. Although an incomplete assesment - Martin’s will sound boomier. There’s much more to it than that - but that gives you a general idea. Also, your ears could very well not hear what I hear. To use a Gilligan’s Island analogy - who’s prettier? Mary Ann or Ginger? You’ll have an opinion, but you will have hit the lottery - even if you get your second choice. :slight_smile:

:sunshine Mow the lawn :dance,
wash the dog :dog
get started on my Fat Baby Taylor :pickin

Pick a new tune on my mandolin  :lovedr

cook somethin delightful (cuban tonight) :hombre

You can feel Saturdays everything is ,

groovey :flower :vibes :vibes :vibes :kiss :hug :dog

Oh my gosh I just have to share I am in total love with this guitar. I have been busy feelin my way around. I think I just composed my first song on it. Slamin fun and really a rich deep tone.
Not sure what the chords are yet but the feel is smooth and easy. I think I can do this. :medal

I want to sing out and play my Fat Baby NOW, RIGHT NOW!!! However it is early and I have no where to go . A private place to sing and play…that would be nice. :medal

Sitting and holding my guitar gets me tweeked out a tad, trying to work that out. Lots of wood between my chest and tummy, not to mention, where does your girl parts go??? Over, under? :flower

Glad you’re enjoying the guitar! I think you’ll appreciate how much better a guitar suits just singing and playing solo. You’ve got a really nice entry level guitar.

You may already know this - but a mando is strung upside down from a guitar. So if you think about the chords you know on mandolin, play them upside down on guitar - you’re getting a good chunk of the chord! Now, since guitar has more strings you may have to add something on the 2 additional strings - but you’ll get the idea. Just like mando - if you learn the G, D & C - you know about half of all the songs ever written. :slight_smile:

:wave Really so much fun and hard to put down. I have a new found respect for my Mandolin as well and have been trying to pick Sitting On Top Of The World, lead, as if I were singing it through the Mandolin. Very fun. Learning more and more. RGA is just a few away :festivarian

okay y’all have any tuning tips? i have an electric tuner on my iphone, but i’m trying not to rely on it. for some reason E seems to give me the most trouble!

Some have a better ear better than others. However, you can train your ear. Even if you aren’t able to bring an instrument to perfect pitch with your ear, getting it to “pretty close” is pretty good. Every player should be able to get their instrument tuned up without a tuner.

After over 20 years of doing this I still can’t get it perfect. However, I keep on trying every time I tune. I will tune the first G string to a tuner - then tune the other 7 strings by ear. Then - go back and check each string with my tuner to get it perfect. Usually I’m pretty close.

After I get the first G in tune - I tune the second G. Then, on the 7th fret, I hit the G string (making an D). This is the note that you want for the next string down (the D string). Do this with the A and E as well (7th fret for the string ABOVE the string you’re tuning).

Hope this helps (and makes sense). :slight_smile:

I use my tuner every time I tune. But it’s good to now how to tune without it. :medal I see your comin right along on your FB posts. You go girl, we need more female mandolin players on this planet!!! :festivarian

Where is the mando smiley when ya need it…? :rock :band

HOTTER THAN BATMANS HELMET!!! I’m gettin in the baby pool now! Dang HOT :woohoo

12 stiches in my left hand index and middle finger. No pickin for a few weeks. very very tragically sad…

but I can always sing :flower Knew I should of been packin for RGA instead… :rolleyes

OHH that sucks, hope it heals up fast. No swimming in the river until that’s completely healed up or you risk getting a nasty infection.
I am scheduled to work this whole weekend so no Rockygrass for me. :frowning: I did just go get my Mando tuned up at the Denver Folklore Center though, Sounds really good.
Have a great time this weekend.
Beth :flower

:wave Yes I know no river…bummer. Glad to hear your doin ok. Will you be at Folks Fest Beth?