Beginners' update

Probably not I am a workaholic, and have myself pretty much scheduled out throughSeptember. In October I still have a couple weekends open, but just because the schedule hasn’t been made out that far. I am trying to pay off bills, have a couple more weddings to go to this summer and then a couple medical conferences. Hopefully one of these years I am going to go to RockyGrass. It sounds like a great time and I really love that venue up at Lyons. I say some shows there a million years ago, before my life became so hectic. Still playing my mando and just friended Amber on Facebook so I can chat with her that way too. Have fun this weekend, bring your sunscreen and a rain poncho. :lol
Beth :flower

Just one more day untill I get these stiches out!!!

Still unable to bend my finger but I’m working on it…shucks…

Spending time just listening. Not even singing. I due notice your voice is like a muscle. If I let it rest to long it takes a while to get all warmed up and goin like only I know I can… :flower

HEY! Where is everyone?

**** bunch o lightweights. :pickin :festivarian

what are y’all working on?

thus far i have down: amazing grace, i’ll fly away, rocky top, some of the strum chords for wagon wheel…still piddling with soldier’s joy. i just can’t get the 2nd part down.

i’m having trouble getting in touch w/ my mando instructor. hate to switch but i’ve left him 2 messages and no return phone call.

My fingers are still healing :thumbsup but I have been just mezmerised by all things Patty Griffin, Bob Dylan and all things Bluegrass are good.

Once you get your F,C,G,D and A chords down you can play just about anything… fun hua.?? I still am growing and am now learning to pick it like I would sing it.

Lead at a snalls pace but really appreciate how my mandolin sounds on a solo … :cheers I think I just might be able to make this baby sing. :flower

On my list to learn this week (don’t laugh).

Word Up - Cameo
Funky Town - Lipps Inc
Billy Jean - MJ
Sedated - Ramones

Man Sarah J. singin Come On Up To The House. She can rock me for sure. Gonna learn this one!!!

OK so Amber, all notes begin on a down stroke for mandolin ,
sooo all half notes are down and whole notes are down - up. Listen to the tune it will guide you. Go to youtube to see an example. Hope that helps… :flower

So are you wearin rubber knee pads just in case you wanna break out :flower let me guess, requests for the next gig…is it hard to deliver a tune your not thrilled about Pen?

lol Landy! Yeah - got to learn them for the band (we took a vote - I don’t always win!). It’s really not so bad. Even songs you’d never play on your home stereo are OK when you’re playing it live - especially dance songs.

Amber, find a new teacher. I did. I wasn’t really thrilled with my first instructor, then I found Jordan and am thrilled. He is really encouraging and even when I know I suck he still says I am doing great. Encouragement is key for me. (go figure I love to be told how great I am, LOL :lol) I just bought the mando book from Oh Brother Where Art Thou. Love that movie. I am currently working on you are my sunshine.
Pen, I love Cameo and Lipps Inc., reminds me of my old roller skating days. You’ll have to let us know when your next gig is so we can all come and see you. I think when medicine stops paying, I’m gonna be a rockstar. :lol

its really tough to find a mando instructor around here that plays mando as their primary instrument and plays well…which is pretty much the only reason i’ve continued to hound this guy bc all of my friends that play music locally insist he is the best. i’m gonna give him one more call and then move on. august is too crazy w/ school stuff so i’ll pick back up in sept.

fun songs pen!

yep, i know what you mean on the downstroke but my instructor gave me wagon wheel to learn w/ more upstrumming like you strum a guitar (if that makes sense).

mik, i know you are going to pagosa. beth, are you going to make it?

Yes Yes I am so excited for Folks! I don’t know about Flatpicking but I can’t wait to see Ani play the guitar. She’s a great, unique player, imo.

I learned a song from each of the headliners, I’m ready to pick/play/party! :cheers

Sedated would be fun to play. How bout a slow acoustic version for Folks! :wink:

I am not going to Folks or Pagosa. I have to work on the 4th, but that night we are going to Red Rocks to see Govt. Mule and the Avett Bros. I am really excited. Then the next day there is an outdoor show in front of Cervantes with some good bands.
I always say next year I’ll see more shows and actually make it up to Lyons, but it never happens. Someday I’m not going to work soooo much. :lol
Still practicing my Mando. Doing a little private concert for my in-laws tonight. They are thrilled. :wink:

nice, you better buy some Red lipstick and a feather boa, maybe a bottle of red hair dye to make it a total look. :lol I have some patients here in Denver with that look. Sweet little old ladies, sharp dressers.
Just one question, Are you gonna play mando or guitar at your lounge show?

Hey guys - been awol laterly. Life can get crazy around here. No college yet landy! He did spart pre-school this year though. Little guy is growing up.

Trying to find time to play for fun is hard lately. It seems like every moment of the day is filled with obligations. By the time my “to do” list is complete - it’s almost time for bed. Oh well - I’m guessing its the same for most parents. The band has it’s yearly hiatus from mid Nov - Feb. Maybe I’ll bet back to my roots then. :slight_smile:

Have a great week all!

If you haven’t done it already - go buy Mandolin Pickers Fakebook. This will be in about any good acoustic music store that sells mando’s. All this tab is available for free online - but it’s SO nice to have it all in one book.

A few of my favorites:

Will the Circle be Unbroken, Rose of Old Kentucky, Blue Moon of Kentucky, Foggy Mt. Breakdown, Spinning Wheel, Wildwood Flower, I Saw the Light, Amazing Grace, Cabin in Caroline, The Old Homeplace, Molly & Tenbrooks, Ballad of Jed Clampett, Rawhide, On My Way Back to the Old Home, Hot Corn Cold Corn, Soldier’s Joy, Old Joe Clark, Red Haired Boy, Whiskey Before Breakfast.

Now - that being said - it depends who you want to play with. These tend to be more in the traditional bluegrass vein. There’s certainly lots of newer stuff that is fun as well.

Have fun!

I’m good landy - thanks for asking. Big news on my end is I think the band is reaching it’s end. Loosing our lead guitarist and I don’t think we are going to go through the hastle of retooling. It’s been a good 6 year run. All good things…

I’m sorta looking forward to it. I’ll be able to go a different direction with my music. I’ll miss the money - but I’ll have more time with the family. So it’s a trade up. :slight_smile:

How’s life on the mountain? Good luck with the fiddle tunes. It’s a great way to improve your playing. If you can find a guitar player to get with a couple times a month and practice what you’ve learned, it will really help. Or - play along to a recording.

Have fun!

hey y’all. well i’m still kinda in the same place with picking. my mando got stolen and finally got it replaced a few wks ago but just haven’t been able to carve out the time to sit down and practice. i’m gonna make it a priority for the new year :slight_smile: although now i am really entranced w/ the dobro and want to check it out!

Good luck library - that’s a wonderful NY’s resolution. I haven’t touched an instrument in over 3 weeks - since my bands last gig. I think I need to fill my cup. I just don’t have any desire. After going gangbusters for 5 years it feels good to take a break.

Landy - I had no idea that song was a traditional one until you posted that - thank you! I was a deadhead for years and that was one of my fav’s. I youtube’d it and liked some of the other versions I heard online.

Oh yes - Happy Thanksgiving to our little subgroup on this forum. Have a wonderful holiday!