Beginners' update

I had my lesson yesterday and got the chords and melody down for I’ll fly away. Next week we are going to work on melody and chords for other great songs.
I can’t wait to bust it out in TP.
I’m going to a conference in Atlanta this weekend and am debating taking my Mando with me. My meetings are only during the day so I have evenings to practice.

hey ladies! well i am chuggin along. i had to slow down a bit bc this was the last wk of school and it has been chaotic. i think i have i’ll fly away down pretty well and i am starting to work on amazing grace. i also have soldier’s joy to work on. also practicing chord changes and all that jazz :slight_smile:

landshark i see you fish too! (from the other thread) i lost all my fly fishing gear (long story) but maybe i can bum a rod to bring out w/ me…

ha! i love it. will i have to have waders too?

sweet. i am gonna see if i can scronge up a rod.

no rod yet, but here’s hoping. maybe you can just smuggle me along and i can just take in the fishing.

my instructor gave me 3 finger chords to practice, my ring finger doesn’t like to stretch :stuck_out_tongue:

working on soldier’s joy. i have the 1st part down but the 2nd part is a little tough so far.

hey mik! just think you can destress soon at tride :stuck_out_tongue:

a friend of mine restrung my mando and took out some shims that made the action high (and hard for me to press down the strings)-sounds much better now!! and my strings are bright and shiney :slight_smile: he plays the guitar so he sat around and played with me for a little bit which really did wonders for me. we are gonna try to do it once a week!

can’t wait to tride and to meet y’all!

amber :slight_smile:

A good setup will do wonders. Glad you got your action improved. :slight_smile:

Have fun at the festival all. Pick one for me!

OK Ladies, I got the melody and chords for If I needed you. What a pretty song. Practiced a little in Atlanta, The heat and humidity about killed me. Glad to be home in Colorado. In less then two weeks I will be in TP, hopefully arriving around noon on the 15th so you all then.
Miki, quit stressing. We got Telluride coming up. I know you’re a lot like me. Sit back for a few minutes, Think about going back to Telluride, good friends, great music, great late night jam sessions. Makes your heart swell doesn’t it? When I’ve been getting stressed I take a few moments to think of it all and I get a big smile on my face that lasts for hours. :clap
Beth :flower

OK ladies here is a list of all the songs we have spoken about I have begun to download them to my ipod and save in a file called homegirls jam. I will try to learn as many as I can :
1- I’ll Fly Away
2- Aint No Grave
3- Sittin On Top Of The World
4- White Bird
5- If I needed you
6-Amazing Grace
7-Red Haired Boy
8-St. Anne’s Reel
9- Angeline The Baker
10- Soldiers Joy
11- Will The Circle Be Unbroken
12- She Belongs To Me
13- Up To The Mountain
14- Correna
15- Rollin In My Sweet

My mando instructor had me practicing singing, I really am a horrible singer. But I also used to really suck at the mando, so anything is possible I guess. So I am learning the song by Townes Van Zandt “If I Needed You”

If I needed you, would you come to me
Would you come to me, and ease my pain?
If you needed me, I would come to you
I would swim the seas, for to ease your pain.

I am actually learning the EmmyLou Harris version, in the Key of C

I also am still learning I’ll Fly away by Alison Kraus.

Ok I’m gonna

I am so excited. I have to finish this darn paperwork so I can go home and practice. I am hoping we will be on the point across from Jailhouse. Two years ago I was on the point, then there was AJ and then Courtney. Before you headed up to the wilderness sites.
See ya soon.

beth, my instructor is trying to get me to do the same. i will sing at home when i practice but not in lessons :stuck_out_tongue: i don’t want to hurt anyone’s ears but my own-ha!

that’s a great list mik, i can sure play along w/ a few of those :slight_smile: the others i don’t know i’ll be like a sponge and try to soak’em up.

3 days til i hit the road!!! yeeeeeeeehaw!

i am counting my blessings that my teacher schedule (and second job) allow me to have freedom in the summer to GO. this is the first year i have been able to swing it…i will get to see my sister and friends along the way and hopefully make new ones :slight_smile:

i looked into RGA-maybe something i can check out next year. thanks for encouraging me!

heck, maybe one day i can relocate to co…i love the sweet sunny south but i am a ski bum at heart :slight_smile:

i’ll be the one with the big goofy grin and saying Y’ALL!

:slight_smile:

also, what do y’all do w/ your instruments? (leave’em in you tent/check’em?)

I leave mine in my tent, have never had any problems. I am hoping we will be across from the Jailhouse, main bathrooms area, usually on the point. As you head up to the wilderness outback area, we are on the left first site. Hoping that is where I will be. I will PM you my phone number.

awesome beth! sounds great-thanks for the pm.

had my last lesson before festivaaaaal last night! instructor gave me wagon wheel to work on…

can’t wait to meet/jam with y’all :flower

+1 for leaving your instrument in the tent. I’ve never had a problem either.

thx pen! will you be at the fest?

i am also trying to correct my bad habit of holding the pick incorrectly :rolleyes
my instructor said when i come back he expects me to have fixed it - ha!