Beginners' update

hey y’all! just bought my first mando and i’m not sure what i’ve gotten myself into. looking around for an instructor here-haven’t found one yet. i can kinda-sorta read music. i used to have a fiddle that i could play a little bit but any book/dvd/video recs? landshark-saw your youtube-you rock! :slight_smile:

I would love to be in a girls pickin circle, I am even less experienced then you. I am difinitely bringing my mando, and we are getting there on tuesday. Come find me and we can jam. I think Maine-ah would join us too. I can’t wait to go to Telluride. I wish I could leave work right now and go home and practice.
See ya soon. :flower

count me in ladies! well, i am way down on the beginner totem pole. ha!

i’m not sure when i’m gonna arrive in tride but i’ll be there with my mando. maybe a harmonica too :slight_smile:

thanks for the tips landshark. i’m gonna do a 2-day session in july and practice on my own til then…

i’m on it landshark! :slight_smile:

OK, I will start learning that one also. I am currently learning Red Haired Boy and St. Anne’s Reel. I have Angeline the Baker and Soldier Joy down pat. I also am working on memorizing ?Old Joe…, and Will the circle be unbroken. I have a few others I can play if I have the sheet music in front of me.
Also, I can’t read music so I have everything in tab.
Can’t wait to see you in June.
Beth :flower

hey beth-you have links handy to the tab for those? :slight_smile:
this is gonna be great!

I bought a couple books, Beginner mando can’t remember by who right now and then the Mandolin Fake Book, Which has a ton of songs in it. I also look on Mandolin Cafe and in the Tablature section they have ton of songs and all styles. They also have great info on tuning your mando, and what tab actually is and how to figure it out. I found a great instructor who has been really encouraging. Even when I screw up he tells me that I’m doing great. :slight_smile: I will try and post the names of those other books I bought later when I get home.
Have fun practicing.
Mik, where do I find those songs you are learning.

can’t wait for tride!

beth, do you like the fakebook? i thought about getting that one.

i picked around last night, just practicing some basic cords. like landshark said, we can be the queens of F, C, & A :stuck_out_tongue:

y’all i’m so stoked! i’m going for my first lesson on thurs :slight_smile: someone i teach w/'s hubby is in a bg band and their old mando player gives lessons. i’m gonna try and squeeze in at least 3 before tride. started practicing some chords last night. so i’m hoping to learn: sitting on top of the world (already trying) and a few others w/o the tab in front of me before tride gets here!!! festivaaaaaaal!!!

where are y’all camping?

I like the fake book, the print is a little small. I take it to work and enlarge the songs I want to learn. Must be the age thing, my eyes are not as good as they used to be. I will be staying in Town Park, I camp in what Dustin calls “Watermelon Junction” If you ask most people where my friends Kenny and DeAnne camp they can point you in the right direction. We should be arriving on the 15th around beer tasting time.
See ya soon.

y’all i’m not gonna be disappointed! i am just figuring out chords and trying to get some callouses…so i will be on the fringes and hopefully learning some new things.

i’ll be in tp in all my newbie glory. hope to make some new friends (well, i already have!) and set up my little southern rambler tent and have a great time :slight_smile: i’m not sure when i’m going to arrive. i’d like to get there a few days before the fest, maybe by the 14th if i can work it out! beth, i’ll be sure to look for y’all since i’ll be in tp too (although not sure where).

ls-check on the ret’d tix site around starting around 1:30 est on tuesdays-i scored my tp tix there last wk :flower

workin on I’ll fly away-sloopwly :slight_smile: had a great 1st lesson & really like my instructor :slight_smile: I’ll fly away & chord changes were my homework…

I’m learning it in G. I can’t carry a tune in a bucket - I think I better hum along or y’all will kick me out-haha!! :slight_smile:

Sarah has mad mando skills, hopefully she will join us. I’ll look that song up and start praticing my chords and chord changes. I can hardly wait. Hmmm, schedule for next four weeks: work, practice mando, see a couple Rockies games, practice some more…Then leave for T-ride :cheers

landshark-you rock. i think i must be a slow learner…lol!

getting so excited for tride. (and my big ass road trip in general)!!!

i am a perfectionist so it is probably good for me to mix in some new. i am looking forward to my lesson on thurs. i’m slow slow slow at i’ll fly away but i’m just gonna keep practicing :slight_smile: med voice although i sang w/ the sopranos in church choir…(i think they were just filling in the robes HA)

thanks lady. i try to keep it fun and don’t be too hard on myself. 2nd lesson tonight! yay! :slight_smile:

Is the “I’ll Fly Away” the Alison Krauss song? I looked it up and found the chords listed on some site with the lyrics. I also am going to try and learn “if I Needed You” sung by Emmylou written by Townes Van Zant (sp) I wanna go now, except I’m still in the process of packing and have a ton to do before I leave. Crap

okay i am practicing away! leaving for my trip on the 7th :slight_smile:

Tear it up girls! You are all going to have a blast.

You’ve all inspired me. I’m going to head down to Swallow Hill for a jam in the next few weeks. I haven’t done that in ages!