Beginners' update

No worries. I’m slow too. We’re trying out new drummers and it’s taking forever. Spent all day today messing with that. I promise though - I’ll post this soon!

Hi guys,
I have been busy practicing again, I took a month off and man my fingers hurt again. I decided since everyone else was learning Soldiers Joy to start that one also. Only 6 months until jamming in TP, I gotta get busy. Any other song recommendations?
Hopefully if all works out I will see you in Telluride.
Beth :flower

/taps foot impatiently :wink:

Hey, Happy New Year! :wave :cheers

I haven’t checked in awhile, and LandShark has a new tune up! and an original at that! Very cool, i’m waiting for the updated version.

The only critique i have is that we can’t see you! it’s like you’re in the witness protection program. Turn the spotlight on! :lol

Janet’s good. she’s getting better on the mando all the time. we had some people over and she got a chance to play with someone besides me - she loved it. she seems to have a knack - good timing and tone and a good ear. and it’s pushing me to learn too.

(now where’s that new upload - i don’t see it yet?)

Nice Job Miki! :clap :clap :clap

Your vocals are up front more in this version. (That’s something you were working to improve right?)

I can hear the words clearer now - which is something I always listen for in a song.

Is it “pigtails and a tan”? love it!

I have plenty of audio recordings, but no new videos.

Janet has taken a few more, she’s not going every week. I think at this point we can learn plenty by just looking up songs on the world wide web.

Your performance is great! :flower
You just need to find a better place to video.
Although the stained glass is pretty, the bright light in the background hinders the total aspect of the scene with too much and too little light on yourself in varying degrees. :cheers

Sure - send me the words and I’ll toss up a version.

Blue Night
Bluest Man in Town
Can’t You Hear Me Callin
The First Whippoorwill
Tall Pines
Walls of Time
Before I Met You
Rough and Rocky
Darlin, Think Of What You’ve Done
Ida Red
Down the Road
Head Over Heels
High on a Mountain Top - Version #1
High on a Mountain Top - Version #2
Live and Let Live
Last Train from Poor Valley
Long Journey Home
Man In the Middle
Memories of Mom and Dad
Midnight, Moonlight
Old Home Place
On and On
Some Old Day
Stone Walls and Steel Bars
Sweetheart You’ve Done Me Wrong
Down to the River to Pray (Added in 2009)
Blue Moon of Kentucky (Added in 2009)
I’m Working on a Building (Added in 2009)
My Little Georgia Rose (Added in 2009)
Used to Be (Added in 2009)
Dooley (Added in 2009)
Sawin’ on the Strings (Added in 2009)
Angel Band (Added in 2009)
Little Maggie (Added in 2009)
Ginseng Sullivan (Added in 2009)
I Wonder Where You Are Tonight
Beth go to the facebook PBG page for an excellent version of Soldiers Joy. They tear it up!

Hiyas Landy. I would guess that you just need more practice. The instrument, with practice, shouldn’t affect your singing. You may be inclined to sing higher (or lower I suppose) becouse of how your brain is wired and what your head tells you to do - but I would imagine you would improve as you practice. The more comfortable you get on mando, the more you can concentrate on your voice.

Now, that being said, there are some instruments I think couple better with an individual singing and playing. I think that the guitar and piano work better in a solo set (for me). They offer more sustain and fill out the performance.

You have a really pretty voice and I’m certain you can improve. Don’t feel bad. I know accomplished musicians that can’t sing and play a lick at the same time. Many would say I’m one of them! :slight_smile:

Hiyas landy. Sorry I’ve been MIA lately. Our daughter, Sophie, was born a little over 3 weeks ago. My bro-in-law gave me advice prior to her birth which has rung so true. “1 kid is hard. You would assume that 2 kids would be twice as hard. It’s not. 2 kids is INFINATELY harder than 1”. Man was he right.

Everyone is healthy and good - although a bit sleep deprived!

You won’t be able to adjust the placement of the bridge. A good way to test if it’s in the right spot is to take a tuner and check if it’s in tune w/ the open string - then jump up 12 frets and do it again. There’s only one spot the bridge can be in and have this work. Do this with the G strings as well as the E strings. Becouse this can sometimes be time consuming, I usually change strings 2 at a time so the bridge never moves.

I am like you. When I"m picking under control, I like to brace myself against a part of the instrument. Try using the top inside part of your forearm against the top of the mando instead of your hand on the bridge (I happen to do both). Maybe that will help.

Another question, I"m assuming your mando has a floating (movable) bridge - correct? As I think about your issue, I’m wondering why you feel uncomfortable with the bridge placement. Does having your hand that far back feel uncomforable - does it hurt - does it slow your speed or affect your ability?

Good luck - if it was easy - everyone would play mando!

I think I understand now. Don’t worry so much about picking directly over the soundhole. Granted, strings won’t have as much volume if you’re bracing your hand against part of the bridge - but your control will be infinately better. You will find that as you improve, you are better prepared to attack the strings while picking - thus getting more volume. Then, you’ll be better equiped to control the musical dynamics of your song. Pianissimo to Fortissimo - use them all as required. I will practice my scales at different volumes.

Lastly, with volume, it’s not just the your picking that affect sound.
-There’s the actual construction & bracing of a mando.
-Strings. Try different sets of strings until you find ones you like.
-How much of the instrument is in contact with you while playing. If your arm is draped on the instrument and the back of the mando is flush up against your belly/side - it takes away volume. Maybe look at Tone Guards for the mando if you want to increase it’s sound.

Lastly, as you are looking for a good hand position, spend some time on Youtube. There are countless video’s of accomplished mandolin players. It may give you some ideas on ways to adjust our hand position.

Babies good. I feel like I’ve been hit by a bus - but everyone is healthy. :slight_smile:

Can’t wait to see your rendition. Good luck!

That’s a great goal Landy! Best of luck. I don’t know that much about it. I’m assuming you’ll get involved with ASCAP (or a similar organization). I’ve heard it can be hard - but hey - someones got to do it!

I’d agree with you about the guitar. Tends to be easier to strum and sing. Well - for me anyway. If you would like a hand finding a good guitar, let me know. It’s something I know a lot about and I’d be happy to match you up with a good buy based on your budget and style of guitar you might prefer. I check a few messageboards & craigslist daily and see a ton of good buys.

I can’t wait!

Gotta love technology. Too bad our our lives don’t allow face to face interaction. Like you, I so much more enjoy the organic experience. This is better than nothing.

Well done. Really good job with you vocals - and what a view for a video. You continue to improve Landy - keep it up!

That was great Mary! :thumbsup

I agree, beautiful vocals - You really sound in command of that voice.

I would love to have you sing one of my songs some day…

Great Job! :medal :medal

I don’t think it’s overkill, i just don’t think it will do much soundproofing. It will look great though! :wink:

I’ve had friends go through the attempt to soundproof one floor from another, as described in the link below (they spent a good amount of money on all the materials) , and they still were not satisfied with the level of soundproofing. The heating duct work is the big source of sound bleed, so if your studio doesn’t have duct work it will be easier for you to reduce the sound transfer.

Well, that’s going to take quite a bit of wine drinking but if you can afford it, I’m all for cork. It’s so much softer on the feet. I wanted cork in my studio but I ran out of money. It’s all good. I appreciate what I have for now and am buying more lottery tickets.