Who will open the 2024 TBF?

So, we’ve all seen the Planet Bluegrass lineup announcements so far for 2024. As been mentioned by someone else, we haven’t seen Chris Thile in the list yet.
So a question. Chris has opened the Festival now for several years. As much as I love Chris and the Punch Brothers, in my opinion I’d love to see someone else open the 2024 Festival this year. Chris’s opening has been such a low-key experience, while pleasant, just doesn’t feel to me as the best way to open a four-day Festival.
So what do other folks think? Do you think, like me, that another act would make for a stronger opening? An act that hits it hard, makes a strong musical statement, gets people out of their early morning hangovers on the first day? Who would you like to see?

Yea I agree. Chris solo can be great and it can also be awful. Would not mind changing it up

1 Like

Does look like a pretty fresh line up. Am still wishing for my Greensky to appear and how will we close out festival without Punch at the Sheridan??

Opening? Something less acoustic, maybe a band that gets us up and dancing from the get to?

2 Likes

The Punchies have a seemingly permanent residency in NYC with the Energy Curfew Music Hour. Maybe he’s wanting to stay closer to home?

1 Like

Sierra Hull was announced today. That’s my vote.

2 Likes

I really think Crying Uncle’s time has arrived. They have made great strides in the last year - playing IBMA, and releasing The Thing of Dreams. Now they’ve announced shows at the Grand Ole Opry and Station Inn. Miles and Teo are tearing it up right now. Def the hottest new band in the Bay right now. New guitar player, Ian Ly is outstanding. They plan to tour Japan again in March. Go CUBG!

1 Like

Chris Thile announced today

Mighty Poplar would be a great opener, I saw that Billy Strings has a festival in Ohio over that weekend but Thursday and Friday would be free days for fiddler Alex Hargreaves to join.

Yeah Punch Brothers shared this 3 days ago.

IMG_9423

Personally, I really love Thile opening the Fest, and it appears that will continue. It might not be a rocking dancing set, but Chris’s enthusiasm and energy is catchy. Pretty certain we’ve never seen him repeat songs during his opening sets, and he’s one of the few acts I’ve ever seen take requests from the crowd, being one of the few acts that really engages with the audience, like he’s playing an intimate show with friends. And, this for me is the perfect way to start a weekend full of all forms of acoustic wonders with a tip of the hat to some amazing non acoustic performers. Also I do agree that it could be a real hoot to open with a dance party fun band too!

I second the Sierra Hull suggestion - that would be amazing!

1 Like