What's your favorite CHAIR to bring to TBF??

Thanks Travelinghiker. I really like the look of that one. So much so that i just ordered one for this year’s TBF!

I have a Helinox and a Kelty low back. Love the Helinox for its lightweight packability. Takes a minute to set up, but worth it sometimes. Love the Kelty for nice sturdy comfort. Armrests with drink holder, etc. I got the mesh because I am usually always too hot. I can throw a blanket under me if it’s cold. Still bulky and kinda heavy if walking a long ways.
Happy TBF!

Thanks for this great question, and helpful answers with links! I was wondering the same thing. TBF is worth a splurge on a comfy chair.

We always bring our Kermit chairs!
https://kermitchair.com/

2 Likes

Wow, nice! Are you able to sit in the low chair section with this one?

If you’re commenting on my Kermit chair post, yes, they are low enough to be perfect in the front section. AND, you can purchase leg extensions to make these taller like typical chairs, when you’re back in camp.

1 Like

Thanks , yes I was commenting on the Kermit chair.

1 Like

Absolute best chair for camp is the NEMO Star Gazer. Still stand by the Helinox as best low seat chair, I’m saying low seat, as we have 1 model that has a full high back, but the seat is only about 6-8 inches off ground.

1 Like

I am the $0 low back sort of person. :grin:
Good review of chairs.

1 Like

Hello fellow gear nerd! I am a 2nd-timer bringing my family and would love any gear rec’s you have for the type of people who like to sit under the sunshade as a home-base. We will have a 9 month old if you have any recommendations that would benefeit her as well. Thanks in advance!

Heya! :nerd_face:

I’ve kind of touched on this subject before here: Town Park virgin? Get your answers here! - #1245 by culasthewiz

Nate had some other helpful insights here: Sunshades and Chairs - #2 by TheLorax27

But to elaborate further:

Personally, I own several of these for around camp and inside of Festival (I don’t use the walls in fest). A bunch of us lash them together inside fest to create “Shade City”. They’ve been much more sturdy and durable than the standard EZ-Up brand. The EZups tend to weigh a little less as well.

Regardless of brand, I prefer the straight leg 10x10 canopy because you won’t block a sightline for folks behind you (protip, a golf bag caddy can be modified to roll your canopy around - back saver!) and they’re sturdier.

If that’s not your cup of tea for whatever reason (weight/space), there are other options like one of the Kelty branded ones such as this or this and these are extremely common and seem to be super popular with families but they do have the propensity to block views and you’ll inevitably see a few which weren’t staked down properly take flight only to land on some poor bloke already struggling to carry 4 full beers.

Speaking of that, regardless of your shelter choice, securing your items is super important. The wind can really pick up at times. There’s a limit to the stake length but I couldn’t find it quickly. @TellurideTom would remember. Anywho because of this limit, I’ve since graduated to screws instead of stakes to secure my canopies. I bought a cheapo battery drill with the appropriate sized bit. Here’s an idea of what I’m talking about :

They grip far better than their smooth cousins and are much easier to install than pounding into the ground.

If you search here for “Sunshade”, “Canopy”, or “EZ-UP” you’re sure to find some differing opinions on the matter as well.

2 Likes

We started using refillable sand bags to weigh the legs down, plus appropriate stakes. Instead of sand we just use gravel or rocks, or whatever is available.

1 Like

I believe the size of the stakes is limited to either six or nine inches due to the sprinkler system on the field. This information should be listed on the Planet Bluegrass page somewhere.

1 Like

Gallon water jugs would work well too, and you can just dump them out at the end of the day to make carrying them back to camp much easier.