What are your best TBF memories?

Sounds very interesting… maybe bring some to the Homebrew Tasting?

Kaptain Karlos :cheers

MMMMM Hooch and homebrew!

Kaptain My Kaptain,

Unfortunately Hooch is not homebrew. I do make something called “Crunchy Toad” which is mostly homemade, but would not really be classified as “homebrew” as much as it would be called “Toxic”.

But, Daniela and I happen to make our own wine and will be bringing some to share!

Hooch, homebrew, Crunchy Toad, music and friends, old and new. I can’t think of a better combination…

Hooch, Homebrew, Crunchy Toad and I hope Doc Mike’s Rum Punch makes a return as well.

Gotta start drinkin in the morning again to get my liver in shape.

If the smell of hooch is in the air, ole Michael will likely sleep in his chair!

I’ve got one. I belive it was the 1999 Festival, only my second one. I had a few hours off from the box office and thought I would catch a workshop in Elks Park. The Tuvan throat singer was there (I apologize for not remembering his name only that he wwas the “groovin’ Tuvan”).

It was a beautiful Telluride afternoon and I was wearing sandals and lovely summery dress. When he began to sing, suddenly the sky darkened and a few cold raindrops began to fall, no big deal. But, progressively, as he was singing in these truly unique and unworldly tones unlike anything I’d heard before or since, it started to get darker and rain a little harder until- BOOM! I saw and immediately heard a bolt of lightning hit the ground on a bare peak above us and shot adrenaline through everyone in the crowd. Of course, pretty soon it was a raging hail storm that I was entirely unprepared for.

I’d like to say that I learned my lesson and that was the last time I was unprepared for the weather in Telluride, but that is another story entirely…

LLL

Congar Ondar… I think. I’ll let you know for sure tomorrow. Victor Wooten, Future Man and Jeff Coffin now do the Tuvan throat singing for the Flecktones. Jeff starts out ‘Chenai’ with a very high pitched tone. :slight_smile:

Hope Lin :pickin

And speaking of Bela and the Flecktones…‘BIG COUNTRY’!!! That’s a great tune that just sounds like driving through the mountains of Colorado. I loved hearing it live again last year after the Flecktones had taken the previous year off.

My second Abgat year errr 1993??..In the showers …and this white bearded gentlemen ask me , “are you here for Bluegrass?” …yes Sir my reply …were is everyone he asked ?
Festival campgrounds dont open till next weekend …he was telling me no its this weekend …
I was like no sir …Later in the day I walked down to his camp …and showed him the tickects …His Reply
Guess Im heading to Orvis for the week …hmmm who was the gentlemen ?
:cheers

More memories: Bringing new people to the festival and seeing their reactions is one of the most satisfying things I’ve experienced. For example: Daniela (whom you probably have seen on this forum) thought I was nuts because when I met her I would talk about Bluegrass quite often (I met her in the month of March). So, being the strong-headed independant woman she is, she bought herself a ticket and a camp pass for Illium that year (my condo was already full) to see if it was really that great or if I was just a freak (answer = both). She showed up, found my group, bought tie dye clothes, festivated, soaked in the music, and has become the best festivarian partner I have ever known. She cried for days after it was over and carried her low-back chair into work with her for a week. I still love to taunt her about the fact that she thought I was a loon and now she’s as much a die-hard festivarian as I am. I think she feels guilty for doubting me.

Ron N Deb…Ha…great story. I wish I would show up to Bluegrass a week early by accident!

Thanks for the great compliment, Brett. I thank you for introducing me to the single greatest music festival in the universe. Every year just keeps getting better and better, and I’m sure this year will be no exception. Can we go right NOW? :flower

Try Big Counrty followed by Sleeper and Last Jam. The three will get you about 50 miles down the road (on flat land). Sleeper just screams ‘Road Trip’ to me and Bela usually plays Big Country in his solo which make the trip worth while! :slight_smile:

By the way, their shows at HoB - Orlando and Langerado Festival were wonderful… as usual!

Thanks for the song tips. I’ll look them up tonight when I get home.

Disc 3 of Little Worlds :slight_smile:

In 1973, the summer before my senior year of high school - I drove the 66 beetle, Radeen drove the 72 van full of beer, Patty K was in the 66 Mustang, and a bunch of us from Durango drove up to Telluride for the 4th of July party. We just cruised into Town Park and camped like we belonged there.
We learned early on to begin festivating upon arrival.
Over the years, various of our numbers brought back insights from Dead Tour
to the Park.
We are Proud to have helped it form.
Personal favorite year?
Any of the 1st 15. Davis Grisman, New Grass Revival, Vassar, Peter Rowan, Hot Rize, Seldom Scene, Beausoliel, Doc and Merle, Willie, What a sound track to come of age to.
Personal favorite memory - Yeah Right - What a mileaux
“If it’s Telluride, this must be BlueGrass.”

I have so many awesome memories from all my years at Telluride, funnier than hell stories, incredible musical performances, good food, good drunks, Johnny and June on stage, discovering new bands and making new friends. All part of the reason I’ve been for so many years (this year is my silver!). But there was a moment in time last year, a single point in time, that was the exact moment I can remember true happiness returning to me. Happiness that I hadn’t felt for so long, happiness that I didn’t really know I was missing until it slapped me upside the head.

I was by myself in a small-ish crowd of people, watching Sharon Jones and The Dap Kings, dancing as hard as I possibly could with tears streaming down my cheeks. Here was this powerful woman on the stage; a woman who had not lived an easy life, a woman who was on, what most people would consider, the quick downhill slide towards the end of her life; a woman who was touched by music (the very same music that had shunned her when she was younger) and HAD to participate despite her age. She quit her job at a prison, jumped in with her “young boys” (as she called them) and did not look back… “You’ve got to feel it!”, she sang out, “Feel it in your bones and in your heart!”

It was at that moment, mid-way through her set, that I fully understood that life, and happiness, is a choice. Suddenly everything was new to me, everything seemed possible again. It was… indescribable.

xoxo Monkeygirl

P.S. Whenever I think back on that moment… the tears start again and it takes a solid hour to wipe the shiite-eatin’ grin off of my face!

Touching personal moments are always great memories!

Touching personal moments are always great memories!

Actually…so are Personal touching moments…I’m just sayin’ :evil

I am lucky enough to live only 2 1/2 hours from Telluride so get to go there regularly. It’s a sad thing to walk into the festival grounds at other times during the year when it’s just a big soccer field (or snow field). No beer tent. No porta pots. No decorations on the bandshell. No tarps. No festivarians. My comment is always “This is NOT what this place is supposed to look like”. So, when June rolls around and I walk through that gate for the first time on Thursday and everthing is set up and the bagpipes are playing, it’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.

Another of my faves… The year, Alex, who was then 6, was the “EXTREME SKIER” in the fashion show… It was hilarious watching him walk down the catwalk , swinging those skis, and trying not to either fall over or knock anyone in the head with them…