Vocals

Soul with control. That is what I would love to learn.
James Brown, sweating, screaming and being pulled off the stage :flower :lol
Everyone has their own way of delivery I guess :lol

I was wondering how you sing through your own feeling of emotion and lets say, not cry when you sing a sad song or having a bad day. :huh

I brought my Mandolin to Telluride and I sat to play. I found that I was very uninspired at that moment and wondered , how does Sam Bush get pumped for a set. He always has such fire . I am sure it is a skill to be able to mantain and deliver your song or set and not let your own emotions follow through in your tone or delivery…I find music fascinating and when I die I will come back as a beautiful Cello :lol

Cry freely and shamelessly when you play, then let that emotion come through with a little more focus on notation or other technical aspect so you’re not focused on “not crying” and your voice doesn’t break during singing. I saw a stand up bass player (young lady but it really wouldn’t matter) do this. She cried freely (not sobbing) while playing, and sang clearly and sweetly as the tears ran down her cheeks. One of the most powerful moments and wonderful memories I have of listening to live BGrass. I asked her about it - the above was her answer. Free and shameless is the key, so to speak

RR