traffic warnings from Denver to Telluride and back

Heads-up to anyone driving from Denver to Telluride on Tues 6-14 or Wed 6-15: 1) Hwy 50 between Gunnison and Montrose will have full weekday closures in the month of June with significant delays; and 2) the big bike-ride “Ride the Rockies” will be going from Buena Vista to Salida on Hwy 285 on Tues 6-14 and turning around from Salida to Fairplay on Wed 6-15. It seems that the best advice would be to stay clear of this route for the Fest.

3 Likes

Thanks for lookin out, was planning on going through Gunnison.

Yeah, it’s likely not worth unless you’re traveling on the weekend or know for sure you’ll make one of the windows where it’s open briefly to alternating traffic. I took it this past Sunday on a trip to the Denver area to avoid I70 traffic in the afternoon, but definitely decided on I70 for the way back.

Last summer, the mudslides on I70 made things interesting … at least until the delicate genius of whoever’s in charge relented and opened up hwy 50 until I70 could be opened again.

In case you do find yourself needing to travel that way, there’s always the “long way” via Hotchkiss.

Thank you sooo much the heads up! I usually like to the take 285 and 50 since it’s more scenic for a negligible amount of extra travel time. 70 it is :cheers

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up - I was planning on taking 285 > 50 on the way there, but looks like I-70 it is!

2 Likes

As we approach the great pilgrimage, this thread deserves a bump! Check your route on cotrip.org before leaving!

(this message is brought to you by me almost forgetting about this construction issue)

See ya soon!

1 Like

Thank you! Excellent info my friend!

Great info, thank you!
So just for my clarification does this suggested route seem to be the best option for Wednesday travel?

I70 > Grand Junction > SR50 > Montrose > SR550

1 Like

I should mention that I understand this all could be different in a years time, just didn’t want to start a new thread on the same subject.

1 Like

Hello! Are you possibly interested in carpooling from Denver to telluride on Wednesday or know of anyone who might be?

My sister and I need a ride - we are happy to pay for gas / snacks! Please text 206-552-5851

I am not a Coloradoan but do want to mention that there is still construction on Hwy 50 near Gunnison (although I do not think it is as bad as stated above in 2022) so the posted route above is probably best. Also in case anyone planned to take a scenic route from Glenwood Springs through Paonia to Delta, that road is closed just north of Paonia due to a sinkhole (Hwy 133).

1 Like

Yes. If it suggests on Wednesday to head S to 50, use this rout you posted instead

1 Like

I think our car is full, waiting to hear back from a friend. If we are not, I’ll text you.

Looks like the bike race won’t affect any of these routes this year - totally different route from ft Collins to winter park and then back to fr Collins. Hopefully still ok to go 285 then through gunnison !