Town Park virgin? Get your answers here!

1. I’m sure you could find a decent spot Tuesday night, but I would take Monday and Tuesday off and get there earlier. More time to get to know us! :flower Besides, you’d miss the oysters if you got there Tuesday night!

2. You’d probably want to ask around once you got there so the veterans could point out where all the jamming camps are located. We’d hate to have you inadvertantly set up your tent right next to an all night jam/party camp. :eek

3. There is a different tarp line for Town Park, and some people stay in line all night long, but if you get up at 5:00 AM you should still get a decent spot. There’s no secret ceremony, just a friendly group of runners… get aquainted! :wink:

4. It’s BBQ’d oysters on the half shell, not stew, and anyone is welcome. If you want to bring something to share so much the better, but you don’t have to. The rumballs consist of different fruit soaked for a couple days in Rum and other types of alcohol and are very tasty. :drunk There is a virgin version available for kids too.

5. Whatever you normally bring would probably be fine, but the earplugs might help you sleep better at night. :zzz

6. It’s up to the members what pictures they want in their profile, but I’ll try to add a picture later from our annual festivarian photo shoot in the festival. :wave

7. You can see how long you have to wait on either one of my websites, as I have a countdown on both! :clap

If you have any more questions, I’d be happy to answer them. :rock

:wave You can always view the countdown to rumballs at:
http://llamaman.com/telluride/countdown.html
It now also has a link to weather underground for the Telluride forecast.
I may have some time to actually put the slide show back in place, for now it just has a picture of the listivarians.

Personally i would say. ASaP !!!
look one of us up
and we will help you out !

:cheers

Thanks for all the answers, Friends! Say, here’s one for the girls: What’s the shower situation like? Is it possible to grab a quick shower once a day without too much hassle? Are there wall outlets and such? Where are the showers located? Should I wear my hiking boots or will flip flops be enough for the trek?

showers… two shower houses located in Town Park. flip flops are fine. You get about five minutes of hot water for a pile of quarters. I think it was 2.50 last year. That’s enough if you are real organized before you put the money in the machine. THe lines aren’t too long… but it’s a good thing to ask if there is hot water cuz you can get all the COLD water you want without the quarters.

Yes, there are a couple of outlets… as well as a hand dryer that works well for hair if you point the nozzle up and if you watch out for the door!

LuAnna

Great info, thanks, Luanna. Is there a better or worse time during the day to get a hot water shower? I’ll have to start doing shower drills a few weeks out to make sure I can get everything done in five minutes!

Daniela

I find that about 1:30 in the morning works well! Actually it varies. There seems to be a morning rush right after the tarp run and sometimes a line in the afternoon. You just have to figure out when you want a break from being out on the field during the heat of the day or when you absolutley HAVE to go shower but you can’t go another minute without one… or how early you can manage that in the morning. It always seems to work out… not many showers but the lines move fast. If I see that the line is too long, I just wait for another time. For me, it often depends on the performance schedule.

LuAnna

I hear you there, LuAnna. Last year the line-up was so good that wild horses couldn’t drag me away from that lawn chair!!

You can also go down to the High School to use the gym showers. They have an athletic dept. donations drive (not much). For a few bucks you get a little more room, a longer hot shower, with no time limit. If the line up permits, it’s a good time for a quick ride down, then a nice bike ride back to camp, with one of the greatest views. :slight_smile:

ask around Daniela, there are alternatives to your ritual early morning absolutions right in town park, and they don’t require any quarters. :slight_smile:

Plenty of hot water to go around, just gotta know where to find it without a trip to Orvis. :flower

Thanks, guys. It sounds like I won’t have any trouble not smelling like I’ve been camping for a week. :lol

Jerry, your puppy is so cute. I hope he resembles you somewhat because that’s the face I’ve put with your name and that’s who I’ll be looking for come the festival!! :jester

Since dogs aren’t allowed in Town Park during the festival, you’ll have to look for Jerry himself. :lol
You can see his picture in the DJ Bio page at KWMR.
Just look for “The Hippie from Olema” about half way down. :thumbsup

No, I think he more closely resembles the goat you reffered to earlier? :rollin
actually my first impression of Jerry was his resemblance to David Crosby?

Hi Daniela - the earlier you get to Town Park the better! Arrive friday, the day before Planet Bluegrass officially takes control of Town Park. Saturday morning around eight or nine, the entire campground is made availabe for festivarian camp set-up. Prior to saturday, the campground is managed by the town of Telluride, and is layed-out like most campgrounds with shower-houses and numbered sites that you rent by the night. Some folks arrive two weeks ahead of time in order to get the numbered site they want. Vehicles are only permitted in the numbered site area of the campground. There is another area within the campground known as “The Back Forty”. It is off limits to vehicles and is only available for camping while the festival is on. Saturday morning festivarians line-up behind the gates to The Back Fourty eagerly awaiting the droping of the rope, so they can run and secure their favorite camping spot. If you are attending the festival alone or with one or two other people and arriving after saturday, you can still find a nice place to camp. Day by day the campground will fill. By wednesday night, the night before the music begins, there will be so many tents crammed into Town Park you’ll think you were at a campground for a Grateful Dead concert. When you arrive and before you set-up, find Telluride Tom or any of the other long-time campers of Town Park and we will gladly give you the campground low-down and probably invite you into our own camps. :pipe See you there!

Kaptain Karlos

P.S. I’ll talk about food in another post. It’s a very very important topic and deserves a lot of attention…

The “back forty” is officially called “Bear Creek Preserve”. :cheers

Hoo, boy, there’s the lowdown I was looking for on the camping situation! Thanks, Kaptain Karlos! Unfortunately, I have one of those pesky J-O-B-S and my boss would die on the spot if I tried to take six days off. I was wondering I could come down Friday night before the festival and camp for the weekend. I could get a good spot Saturday morning, then go back to Junction and work Monday and Tueday whilst leaving my tent down there, and then come back after work on Tuesday. Is this allowed? Would that be a possibility? Am I nuts for even asking? Can my goat hold my spot?

I’ll feed the goat. :slight_smile:

Hope Lin :pickin

That wouldn’t be a problem at all! :thumbsup
Some of the people I know set up camp and stay for a few days, then take a day or two and go to the hot springs. :wink:
I think it may have been you as well that asked about the number of tents.
There’s no restriction! You can have three tents if you really want them, but I’d hope that they’ll be used for something other than holding ground. :lol

If I know Daniela (and I think I do), she will need a spare tent just for her adult beverage stash.

I am not sure if I will be able to emotionally handle setting up a tent in Town Park on Saturday and then drive back home and work for 2 days before returning for the festival. It just seems so morally wrong!

So my question is: If there is a “tent run” on Saturday morning does that mean we get our wristbands that day too?

No! They usually aren’t ready for the wristbands on Saturday, but you will have to have them by Tuesday or Wednesday if you’re still around. They usually don’t put too much pressure on the wristbands until then, but you’d better have your Town Park pass around in case they do say something. :cheers