Town Park Home-Brew & Tasting Event

porter…quite delicious I agree. make room in the freezer chest!!!

I think even Amy Grant enjoys that one actually…

Amy Grant likes beer??!!??!! wow, learn something new every day . . .

Not only that! She drank some moonshine in my camp! :drunk
And then dedicated a song to me during her performance. :flower

P.S. That song is on my website!

now THAT is something to be proud of . . . .

Yea I still have the taste of Rumplesmitz (sp) in my mouth!!! :pirate I’ll be ther earlier this year with a couple bottles of Gran Centenario :cheers

Tom, when will you be posting this “pre-fest schedule” you speak of? I’m hungry, tired, thirsty and crabby, sitting here in my jail cube, and need something to look forward to. I can look out my window and see the sunshine and the open road. I just want to jump in my truck and head south till I see the majestic San Juan mountains on the horizon and hear the bluegrass music in the air and smell springtime coming. I want to go check out my secret planned camping spot in Town Park, walk through the festival grounds, go have a cocktail at the Buck, and dream of the magic that will occur in this great place in 98 days. Who’s with me??? :flower

Hey guys. I just started homebrewing this year. I am gonna start keggin’ because I already have a kegerator. My question is: How do you bring your brew to the festival? I’m sure there is a way to keep a couple of Cornies cold and carbonated for the weekend. Do you bring your CO2 setup along or use a picnic tap? I’m gonna be in Town Park so shade and ice won’t be a problem. I have also noticed the portable ball-lock taps that you attach a CO2 cartridge to. Do those work alright?

Daniela, sounds like heaven! However, my drive from Maine may take a bit longer . . . . hehe

I really find that a proper jockey box with ice, co2 tank, and small kegs is the best way to go. The manuever well in the pack, are easy to carry, and can be stashed in the shade when full or empty.

I simply carbonated in the keg and brought a hand pump my first few festivals and observaed what the other folks did for set up. Town park is the best spot to catch on to how to do it.

Good luck
:cheers :cheers

just 99 days to rumballs

Thanks Rick - I’m switchin’ back to the Kaptain in the Crown picture.

Brewers Notes: 5 gallons Toasted Coconut Porter

Friday nite @ 8:45pm - 6.5 gal H2O on the fire to boil-off chlorine.
Cut fire at 10:30pm after 15 min. boiling.
Saturday morning @ 8:00am - 2 glass fermenters filled with TDC and hot H2O for cleaning.
10:30am - Lit fire under brew-kettle with chlorine-free H2O in it.
10:50am - Grains mashed-in and H2O brought to temp. @ 165 deg. F - held for 45 min.
(During the 45 min. mashing period both fermenters broke while cleaning - no bloddy hands. Luckily had 2 additional double-batch glass fermenters to subsitute.) Big lesson learned! Don’t roll glass jugs filled with hot H2O on hard surfaces. Ouch!
11:30am - mash temp. @ 153 deg. F - removed grain-bag and added malt extracts.
Partial clean-up of broken fermenters.
12:15pm - Fire lit under brew-kettle.
12:25pm - Wort is boiling - bittering hops added.
1:10pm - irish moss added to help clairify wort.
1:20pm - airomatic hops added - immursed copper wort-chiller - added yeast nutrient.
1:25pm - cut heat. Covered kettle and began cooling wort.
2:00pm - Yeast pitched. Fermenter filled with cooled wort.
Original gravity = 1.058
Original % alc. = 7.3
Wort Temp. = 75 deg. F
Tosted coconut will be added to the secondary fermenter for 2-3 weeks and then strained-off prior to kegging.

2:25pm second 5-gallon batch started. Run-A-Muck Red. Pretty much same procedure as above with different ingredients and less the broken fermenter incident. Details spared… and 9 beers later…
7:45pm - pitched yeast - filled primary fermenter with cooled wort.
Original gravity = 1.074
Original % alc. = 10.0
Wort temp. = 72 deg. F

General overall feeling about the brewing and sanitization process - Mighty Fine!
So… that’s it for now. :cheers

Kaptain Karlos

So what do I have to do to get in on that Porter! :cheers Which happens to be my fav beer . . . you sure are working hard . . . .

Ouch :eek sounds like you had QUITE the brew session. Guess I’ll have to commit to another one so we can keep you in line :wink: Let’s make time for one really soon.

:cheers :mad :cheers

A girl who likes dark beer… YES! I’ll have it on tap in the Town Park camping area next to Teluride Tom’s set-up. Also where Hippie Jerry hosts the Oyster Feed. And, I might serve it at the Homebrew Tasting. If this first batch turns-out, I may brew an extra batch to avoid running out.

Kaptain Karlos :cheers your hard-working homebrewer…

Karlos!
We need to get together and brew a batch of LlamaLlager. I just can’t stand all this talk about homebrew. :thumbsup :thumbsup

:cheers

Hey Jerry! You know where my home-brewery is. Pick a date and come on up the mountain! Bring all your kegs. I’ll fill the ones you don’t.

Karlos :wave

"Get a life you guys. " Karlos said as he dragged the large buckets near the rear stairs of the house. Karlos stood looking at the big mountains to the north. ‘I am on top of the world’ and ‘I have a life’ he thought as the instant home brew mix slowly disolved with the steady stir.

“I wonder if they’ll fall for it again this year, Buckley?” Karlos asked his rusty colored companion and then rubbed the dog’s back. “Yuck Buckley, what did ya roll in this time?” The hair and mess smelled terrible. Whatever it was, it sure was dead. Knowing he only had 15 minutes before picking up his new Lotus Karlos eased the mess off his hand with the wooden spoon from the large bucket and dropped the spoon back into the bucket. After rinsing his hands in the hose Karlos returned for one final stir of the home brew mix and found that the color had changed. It had become the color of Buckley’s fir.

“Well, look at that! I’ll just have to call this ‘Buckley’s Brew’!” Karlos laughed as he dragged the bucket into the sun where it would sit and firment for the next two months before he added the three cases of Old Milwaukee and give it a good stir for luck.

Three months later…
“Wow, this Home Brew is great! Tastes… almost… roasted!.. with just a little bite this time. What did you do different Kaptain Karlos?”

“Ceder and Redwood barrel” Karlos toasted as he chuckled to himself… with a little dead squirel and dirty dog!

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Good one Hope :clap

I’ve been wonderin what was going on with the lack of squirrels around Karlo’s new cabin :wink:

Truth be known, when it comes to brewing, I call the Kapt Mr Clean.

I can’t really testify to his bathing habits though. :evil

:cheers

Bathing habbits??? From one who prides himself on going ten days without showering? :festivarian

I keep myself as clean as a fermentor :angel

The Kaptain

Does that mean you are sterile? :evil :evil :evil

I must chime in here and say that, to my knowledge, the Kaptain has never offended the olfactory… and I’ve camped with the man! It must be that good brew he drinks… :cheers … cleans him from the inside out.

oops… there’s a visual :rolleyes… sorry!

xoxo MG :sunshine