I’ve seen many bands miss a show getting to Telluride because of weather or other unexpected travel issues. It happens and I’ve never begrudged anyone on this front; likewise, I’m not begrudging the ISD’s, but do question their decision to pre-emptively abandon Telluride; ostensibly to insure their stop at the Belly Up in Aspen tonight will go on as planned.
The possibility of heavy snow in the Colorado high country in the middle of Feb ought not be a surprise to anyone when booking a tour. To balk at traveling because of forecast is questionable, IMO. As it turns out: ski area is reporting 2" of snow in past 24 hours.
Hey FOM! Yeah the weather is a huge factor at times as you know in Colorado. 2" now but call me in 15 minutes for an update. Timing is everything. It may be just may be a question of profits and loss. Sell more tickets next time to insure they try harder to hit the mark. Music is not a rich mans game. Gotta’ keep pusin’. Music is not a business, but oh, yes it is. :lol :lol
Hey LS, hope you’re doing well! Yeah, timing is everything … and in reality there are a lot of considerations with a tour. My brother actually flew into Montrose at noon on the same day as the show and I didn’t think twice about possibly driving through a blizzard to pick him up … but to be fair, my Outback isn’t a tour bus or pulling a trailer. Still, there was nothin doing re: weather.
Salmon regularly books tours in Colorado during the heart of winter with similar routes; and if memory serves me correctly, even in the midst of big storm cycles, they’ve always put one foot in front of the other to try and connect the dots in the order they set out to do so.
Still, I harbor no bad vibes & it’s hardly the end of the earth … especially if one considers the possibility of “button” might be under the control of a compromised leader(s).
Sometimes weather does get in the way like today with another foot of snow and high winds making blizzard conditions. Luckily I can watch tonight’s Leftover show in Milwaukee on Jamgrass TV as I’m snowed in. They did a great tribute to Mac Wiseman who passed away today with Wabash Cannonball. I had the pleasure of seeing him at the first couple of Mole Lakes. It amazes me that some of these bands like Leftover and Yonder tour here this time of year but I guess that the warm full crowds are what brings them back every year.
I listened to LOS tonight too and it was great!
We had an unexpected extra jam night tacked on to the Big Turn Music Fest in Red Wing, MN this weekend, since a half dozen + bands couldn’t leave town due to blizzard/road closures. Good for us, bad for them - the perils of winter touring.
Definitely not going to argue that weather doesn’t get in the way, but in the case of the ISD it seemed to be far more of a case of worrying about the forecast “getting in the way” vs. reality itself. I’ve been going back and forth with SOH re: refund … since I had received a new credit card in the interim and they couldn’t just charge it back. With a capacity of 300 or so, I’m sure the list of “loose ends” wasn’t exactly minor for the amount of resources they have available.
Maybe it’s questionable to book tours in regions that regularly receive severe weather … then again, SCI used to regularly schedule “Winter Carnival” throughout mountain towns & I suspect some of the band members would even route for snow being skiers.
But yeah, couch tour can definitely be convenient! Although wouldn’t want to see things drift too far in this direction, otherwise …
STOP FOM! First your beautiful posts read like for days now you talk in code. Spill the beans ! What is going down? Again I am not fully grasping this post. I know there is some hidden meaning here. If you start talking into your shoe I am done here. Top secret Elvis stuff maybe?
I guess canceling shows for possible weather is a ‘thing’ now.
From the Caribou Room in Ned:
We are disappointed to have to announce that tonight’s Roosevelt Collier show at The Caribou Room is being cancelled due to a winter weather warning. Meteorologists are projecting upwards of 12 inches of snow possible in Nederland with windchills plummeting down to -20 below zero. Though we were looking forward to tonight’s show we think it’s in everyone’s best interest to heed on the side of caution and safety. That said, refunds will be issued and stay tuned for an announcement regarding Roosevelt’s return to one of his favorite Colorado venues!
It’s likely RC had to have been booked a room for the night in Ned, why not just hunker down & plays some tunes in a warm space inside and let people figure it out for themselves? So you’ll lose some folks driving up from Boulder who opt out, would it be any less special if the room were filled only with people from Ned?
Who knows, maybe there’s more to the story, but it’s kind of amazing to think about … I’m definitely not alone in my even greater willingness to drive through a blizzard to get to the ski area on a powder day!
Having said that, I’ve witnessed many a band not make it to Telluride due to weather or travel snafus … but 95% of them at least make the effort to stick to the plan.