The Dead

only about one more week till denver right?

heres the setlist from last night
yet another one i cant wait to see on the lma!

4/28/09 e.Rutherford, NJ
(Set 1)
U.S. Blues
Scarlet Begonias
Fire On The Mountain (w/ Branford Marsalis)
Birdsong
Feel Like A Stranger
High Time
Turn On Your Love Light

(Set 2)
New Potato Caboose
Estimated Prophet
Milestones
Dear Mr. Fantasy
Dark Star
Eyes Of The World

(Encore)
Franklin’s Tower

thats so sweet branford marsalis came out! and seems like they were all over the dead repitoire with everything from potato caboose to dear mr. fanatasy, and an encore with franklin’s tower. that had to have some powerful energy behind it… i think branford is playing with them again tonight…

hey, just in case you all need any extra info on Dead tix for Denver & Chicago

Chicago CraigsList search yields 250 hits for Dead, or ads for tix. Most of them are Dead tix for All State Arena, May 5.

Denver CraigsList search yields 270 hits for Dead, or ads for tix. Most of them are Dead tix for The Pepsi Center, May 7.

Maybe this will help. Beware of scams and phishing.

and hey flyfishingdave here’s a good link for the dead from the garden
the sugaree is niiiiiiiiccccccccccccccceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :hombre (i just like the mexican cigar fellow)

http://www.archive.org/details/thedead2009-04-25.krall.flac16

I’m off to see some music over the mountains :cheers Don’t know what it will be, but I think it will feel just fine. The adventure is off to a fine start, fed the birds, dog, cats and myself, got to water plants , think about LOST and time travel, check the oracle, listen to Dylan’s latest, clean the kitchen and pack a toothbrush and a few other items, play a tune or two before my ride arrives and be off.
I remember going to see GD many years ago at McNichols, after the concert, we drove to Salida, slept on the ground, got up at dawn, drove to Montrose, picked up a river raft, drove to Grand Junction, packed the rest of the river gear, drove to Brown’s Park, unloaded everything, drove to Utah and parked the vehicles, drove back to Brown’s Park, slept, got up at dawn, and floated through the Gates of Ladore. Sadly, I can’t remember which year that was, because I wonder what we heard at the concert. I felt great at the end of the trip, not too tired at all, just row row row Jimmy row.
The birds are singing, lilacs blooming, feels pretty right with the world, …Eyes of the world…Ears of the world, eating the sun is one way of looking at it.

:wave

Thanks for the link, i already had the MSG show downloaded, and you’re right, that’s a great Sugaree.

So the Dead in Denver have come and gone and i for one had a great afternoon (fantastic weather) at Brooklyn’s listening to the Dead while cocktailing…inside the can there was great energy where we were stationed. Lots of slower tempo, beautiful sing a long songs. I got my Crazy Fingers which just does it for me every time; enjoy a Stranger to open a show, Loser, always a treat; love Lost Sailor, thought they delivered a great rendition; so good to get a Deep Elem Blues & Whiskey in the Jar…King Solomon’s Marbles (sewn up tight!)…China Doll, another one of my favorites, and Cumberland to prep me for Tride…oh yeah, Ripple to send us out. Not shabby…i’ve read the full spectrum of opinions re:this show and appreciate each person’s perspective…all i noticed were happy, smiling faces…

We drove through the mountains, climbed back into early spring, and snowy mountains lining the road. I walked through the parking lot, but I had a mission, for the recorded sound, in advance. I thought of all the different things I have read and written about music and sound, not to mention all I have heard and read about the political and social nature of the culture and the society we just watched slip on an economic banana.
Lost sailor is flowing through Saint and I am enjoying it as much as I recall Thursday. Remembering and nostalgia are a part of our experience. Without memory, you are whisked along in the present, but there is nothing to anchor you, and hearing something new; sounds that are interesting, exciting, different,leaves you with no anchor, either, so we like the familiar. To be in the present, not caught up in that state of mind of where you would like to be, or want to be,(Somewhere else?), the hardest place to live is in the present, and that is the only place we live. That is one reason I like music, as art, the more you pay attention, the neater it gets, if it is “good” art.
Loud and soft, fast and slow,simple, complex, logical emotional magical. I mostly fall short of experiencing music to the extreme, that is why I go to TBF, to get a good dose of reality of art as music is the soundtrack of my life. Actually sound is the soundtrack of my life, and just as we choose to see Art when Art is present, as opposed to taking in every view as art, from the daily to the monthly, yearly experience of the present as Art, science, Soulful, and Spiritual.
So where do we spend time?.., being happy, listening to music, enjoying ourselves, Doing things in the daily world, and carry some of the art with me. I like it when music makes my day go better, and days go better with music. I think I am primed to see the solstice in music, listen to songs old and new and letting me feel it, even if it stretches the way I regard music in the moment. “It’s All Good” Says Bob Dylan. I’ll listen to a wide range of music for the next month, drinking it in. Working on the experience of being present.
Apparently, a Mr. Hunter and the aforesaid Bob, collaborated. I’ll listen to the second cd of the Dead later today, as I do the things I have to do, chores. Is work just another chore? I had a wonderful time listening to the Dead, but I knew in some way at least, all of the songs, the sounds of space, drums and Ripple allowed to be new, and odd.

Here are a few videos I took at the Pepsi Center:

Feels Like Stranger
Me and My Uncle
Ripple

NOTE: Picture isn’t top-quality, but the sound is pretty good for a point-n-shoot!
Enjoy! :wave

So Jen, what did ya think about your first Dead show? I had a GREAT time, knew I would, and it was fun seeing you outside before the show. Loved the 2nd set acoustic opening, and singing Happy Birthday to Billy was pretty cool. A lot of folks didn’t know it was his birthday and didn’t pick up on the melody at first, but I could hear it on the first notes. I was listening to Steppin out with the Dead on the drive up, a show from their ‘72 tour, and at one point in the show they stop to wish their drummer, Billy, and happy birthday and sing, and then it was his birthday again! How fun is that? 37 years later and goin’ strong.

Less then a week away from The Gorge!!!

Cindy Lou! It was great seeing you in Denver!! I am so glad you and Terri Ann made it up. Loved the parking lot scene. Too cool. And the show was incredible, wasn’t it? At least this Dead newbie thought so!! That is so funny about the birthday-song… you heard it twice!

Let’s hook up at Get Enough and blather all about it over a few ice-chilled Tecates, shall we? Only a few weeks to wait, now!! Oh, the anticipation!! :clap

Time for another cup o’joe and a bit of Dead this early a.m. :coffee

Leaving for The Gorge tonight!!! Can’t wait!!!

I think they are good for a bunch of old guys.

Right Dan, :lol :lol :lol :lol you old fart

That show was brilliant!!! I couldn’t have asked for a better first show at The Gorge. Drove 20 hours all together, go excellent seats and sat eating cookies with my brother and his girlfriend till the show started. That was amazing, especially for a 17 year old kid who has never had the chance to see and fully appreciate one of the greatest and most legendary bands of all time.

wonderful. My friend and I took two old guys to their first show, and they liked it. i looked at the set list and immediately wanted a copy of the cd.

I will be downloading The Dead’s sets as soon as I can, I’d also love to get a hold of The Allman Brothers’ set and The Doobie Brothers’ set, it was an excellent show all together :cheers

a total of 150 songs played on this tour
just heard the update on dead radio
and chimenti was added to the rhythm devils officially
that’ll be sweet, fittin between ratdog and the devils… gonna be a busy time for jeff

In Denver, they had a feedback problem at the start of the second set, It is close to what I now hear all the time in my left ear, tinnitus. Be careful, if you are around loud noise, it changes your life, the ring becomes a constant. But that isn’t what is what I want to write about. I feel that I gave the Dead, and the Grateful Dead a huge amount of psychic
energy over the years, probably as much as I received, just as I have given to Telluride over the years, and again it has come back to me. I could be pagan or heathen, or something else, but I love the energy of music. these guys gave me a real boost, even with the feedback, it must be a Karma thing, so if it happens in telluride, I’m sure it isn’t me this time. I think I should go to the odd sound for the rest of this.

Those shots at the top of the thread got me digging around in my old files. Here is a scan of a snapshot from my first show…

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2817/picturebel.jpg

Looks like the 1974 Wall of Sound. Phil’s beard sells it. Thanks. I’m curious. I’d be interested to know, are you sitting on any “uncirculated” pics from that period which you may wish to share with everyone on the internet? I can help you make that happen or point you in the right direction, making sure to give credit to those providing the new sources.

Here is the torrent file for a huge GD photo collection in circulation, posted over at Lossless Legs. 968 files. Your pic wasn’t in there. Many others circulate.

[center]
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/5218/1968051802671mf1.jpg