Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Make sure you also show your thanks for PB by filling out their after fest survey!

there is a magic communication in the art of live music between the audience and the performer. maybe in the world of cars, trains, planes, freeways, cellphones, and ipods, stereos and TV, we don’t need that magic, as long as we don’t hear the note… die. In Telluride, you can hear the note fade into the wind.

I think you longer time TBFers see things through rose tinted spectacles.
Bouzoucki - put some more tobacco in there… :lol :lol

In my experience most of the TBF audience didnt either turn up until half way though the day despite having paid a tarp out or then left around 8.30pm. There were great rafts of people who never listened to a note of the music and talked, laughed or arsed about throughout the whole of some sets.

My impression was that TBF is only 40% attended by those who come for the music, 40% more who see it as a day out/picnic or (worse) place to be seen and 20% (mainly younger element) who come just to get wasted.

Sorry, its not as idyllic as you make out, but it is much better than most festivals.

People generally cannot stay silent and appreciate the music because they just dont have the attention span they used to in a world of text, blogging, facebook, “reality” tv and CNN 30 seconds is about the most people can manage.
Classical music would not exist if society had been like it is now.

Landshark, is the sun up when you start writing? I saw the article, and liked it.
Mark2010, if I put tobacco in my pipe and smoke it, my insurance goes up, something you Brits can dodge, I guess.
It is a new day and the clouds made a beautiful colored sunrise. I need a new mix of music to take me to the river, with Panama Red, that is still crooked, on railroad earth, on the peaks of Sam’s Telluride.

I was going to start a topic entitled this myself, but it now seems a bit redundant :wink:

In any case, I just wanted to tell you, all of you wonderful festivarians and forumvarians how AMAZING you made this first Telluride for me.
Words fail to express how I feel about the whole experience. From the moment I landed in the US, I was treated with such kindness, and from the ride down to Telluride with Landshark (Miki you are AMAZING!), to being welcomed into Town Park by Jailhouse Rob, I never knew it was the beginning to something so wonderful.
People back home were anxious to know if the experience lived up to the expectation. Well, you guys know how much I was looking forward to this, and you made it happen for me, but saying it exceeded expectation doesn’t do justice to the insane joy, love and happiness I felt all around at TBF. Really, I had no idea, and I had the best time of my life. it felt like home from home, and within a few days I felt like I’d found my bluegrass family.
I know I’ve been out of touch for the last few weeks, but I was on the road, and kept away from computers, to try and just live in the moment for a while, and it was truly great.
But now I’m back in London, back at work, and I can’t believe how much I miss you guys!!!
Anyone who was around when I left telluride know how I felt about it, it simply broke my heart to have to leave a place and a family that made me soooo happy for that crazy week of bluegrass.
I honestly think there’s nothing like it in the world, and Planet Bluegrass should be proud to host such an awesome event, so full of love and great music, and as for you festivarians, you guys are incredible, I can’t say it enough!

All I have to say is: see you next year! Can we leave yet?!?

I love you guys!

Second that emotion - many thanks to Planet Bluegrass and you Town Park Festivarians for hosting my visit to Nirvana. I’m going to bring a bigger pot of gumbo next year!

“and 20% (mainly younger element)”

ive got to disagree on this one. the “younger element” (and i can vouch for this being in my mid-20s) that comes to telluride i would argue is often more dedicated to being there for the music than many of their older counterparts.

young folks who want a party festival go to places like rothbury or wakarusa-- there is an understanding of TBFs legacy and the musicianship to be found there and the atmosphere within the grounds, and the young crowd who is willing to make the trek from college towns like denver, the fort, colorado college, boulder, and beyond-- they are not making a 7+ hour committment just for a party that they can find much closer. we may drink a lot of beer, but not recklessly so-- think of it as economic stimulus for the planet bluegrass economy.

i think a lot of folks look at (us) younger festivarians with preconceived notions, and thats why you assume that the excessive partying is because of us. i think if you really watch, you will see a lot of young musicians and music lovers standing with awed eyes, amazed year after year at the level of talent that TBF provides. and i think it is unfair to generalize the younger festivarian community as being responsible for the excessive partying that goes on.

i can say ive been going to TBF since 1996, when my parents took me at the ripe age of 11, and i havent looked back since-- and its because of the MUSIC, and all of my friends who go are committed for teh same reason. you should encourage the younger crowd at TBF specifically because they ARENT the types of people who go for a raging party atmosphere, theyre there for the music. if you want to condemn the raging youth festival crowd, youve picked the wrong festival i think.

sorry, end rant. :cheers – just a bit sensitive on this particular subject, you understand

What a great fest!

Regarding the “walkways”, the one I REALLY liked disappeared during the weekend. Lucky enough to have tarps up in front of the soundboard, it was GREAT to have a “no tarps here” lane on the east side of the shack on Thursday. It got slimmer the next day, and by Saturday, it was gone - filled with tarps. That’s too bad - it really helped get in and out of the front when it was there.

And regarding the security, I saw a festivator get pinched. It was right down the main aisle, just past the Kelty’s. This younger guy was having a HUGE bottle of whiskey removed. He was dressed in only a pair of shorts - no t-shirt even. So where, I was wondering, was he “hiding” this bottle?!?! Did he think that nobody would notice as he walked down the middle aisle? Made me laugh. 'Next time a little discretion, dude!"

But I’ll always wonder how, about 4 years ago, somebody actually got a pony keg into the fest. In a baby carriage? “Oh, please, Mr. Security, don’t bother her - she’s sleeping!”

right on! i’m late 20’s so i guess you could consider me one of the younger ones too. i came down with two of my younger brothers and we drank plenty of beer to go around. but we went to TBF rather than wakarusa or bonnaroo or the mile high fest because TBG has the best music in the country, and puts on the best festival, and because despite our youth, we also appreciate a more laid back party scene. did we drink? hell yea! we also sat at our tarp all day, were inside for probably 90% of the sets, participated in the tarp run, played music all weekend, met tons of other great people of all ages, and had a blast.

I just want to say thanks to PBG as I reflect on this summer and all of it’s highlights… our first snowfall last night about 5 inches and getting some more tonight.

Summer came and went much to fast. But there is one thing for sure, I have made new friends, young and old, I have heard new music , danced more than any sane woman should and laughed alot. I adore fest and all of it’s players. I am so glad that I have carved out June every year at the very least to spend with all of you.

So I reflect, stare out my snowy window at the valley below and just think,can we leave yet? :flower Thanks PBG

no, no , thank you!
of the many festivals i’ve been to, TBF is unique!
i travel two days for TBF, i will make that journey every year to dip my self in the wonderfulness of what the festival has to offer. i’m already plannig my next trip… see you next year… :cheers