TBF virgins -- Are we screwed?

First-timer couple with day passes for Thursday and Friday. We are staying an hour outside of Telluride and driving in on both Thursday and Friday mornings. From what I’ve read here and on the TBF website, it seems that we will have to park at Mountain Village and take the gondola into Telluride, which doesn’t start until 6:30am.

I have two questions about how screwed we are.

(1) Does not arriving until maybe 7am Thurs/Fri morning mean that we are unlikely to be able to get a number for the tarp run? (Is there even any point arriving that late? One post here suggested that numbers are handed out as early as 5am.)
(2) If we don’t get a number for the tarp run does that mean that we probably aren’t going to be close enough to the stage to see anything? Spending $520 for these Thurs/Fri passes, I was hoping to see the stage.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom!

First off you paid over face value for passes and that’s a Festivarian Nono! You can see the stage from every where. And you can move around and get different views. No one is allowed to stand at the rail, so there’s no rail riding, just chairs and tarps. If you get to the town side tarp line by 8am you’ll be fine, especially if your group is small!

3 Likes

Thanks for your insight brother!

You think if we’re on the first gondola into Telluride @ 6:30 in the morning we have a shot at getting tarp space? We’re hoping to set down two small folding chairs and a small cooler.

(The $520 was for 2 Thurs and 2 Fri passes, so $130 each, which I think is standard.)

2 Likes

From town side we’ve showed up at 9am and been in the front with two people. If you are anywhere in front of the sound board you’ll be good!

2 Likes

Yes, you are fine, it’s all good. Despite the tarp run being famous it’s much more relaxed and there is always room to squeeze in a chair and or share a tarp. People are friendly and believe me, you will be able to get up close for anyone you’re crazy about. I know there will be lots of hustle for Billy Strings but even then you will be able to get up close, promise

2 Likes

Thank you for the wisdom and reassurance, fellow fan!

Take a deep breath.
You are coming to Festivaria, unlike any transformed town you’ve ever seen, or heard.
Festivarians have a positive vibe (we are all here for the same reason)!

There are limited number of tickets sold.

The TBF staff are super friendly and helpful. The closer you get to the venue the more volunteers are there to assist.
It’s great to get there early, but better without stress. You’ll be amazed at the sound and clarity in most parts of the stadium.

The gondola :mountain_cableway: is a must do! It’s the coolest transportation! Nothing compares to the first time you see your new forever town, while floating silently in the air. Indelible emotion and sights will permeate your senses. And then you go to the concert and get your mind blown away again and again, all day long till you can’t take any more. And it starts all over again the next day and the next and next.

:sunny:Beware of crowd swells at the gondola lines. Be contrarian choosing optimum times to cross over the mountain. However, the gondola staff is super efficient and processes lines quickly.
There is often a single rider line as well. It’s a 6 minute walk to the box office/ venue.

Know what to do when you go through bag check. Hide nothing, pass through fast. Open your zips and bags so they don’t have to. They can pat down, squeeze, question and open anything you bring in. They are firm but fair. No glass! Bring snacks but there are many great food vendors inside the show (dumplings anyone)?

Actually it’s a pop up food court and shopping strip mall.

There’s also workshops in town open to anyone.

I’d give this fest a number one rating over all the others. It’s a well oiled machine.

Your tickets are priceless, you’ll see.

Not everyone gets there on Wednesday. Or Thursday or Friday, some only sat and sun.

Get rest, be organized and hydrate. Bring less and more cash lol.

There is a med tent staffed with paramedics for basic needs. Usually a massage booth :+1:t2:
Oh, there are huge spigots of fresh filtered mountain chilled water to refill endlessly inside. It’s usually in the mall corner. Great way to cool down when temps feel above 80°
The temp swing can be 30-40°. Plan accordingly. Inevitably it may rain. It could snow but let’s not go there.
Helps to read the actual rules and regs on TBF website. Good to know your rights.

Last note, if you get the chance to visit ilium campground, it’s the last festival campground in the boondocks with bus shuttle (40-50 min ride) travel to from. You mentioned staying “out of town”. This to me was out of town! It’s primitive and the lowest cost, but if you have to commute it’s one more option. This was a once, for us.

There is last minute buying and selling of tickets by private owners. Check the message boards near will call.
Hope that helps.

Just show up. The fest does the rest.

3 Likes

Just two of you? No problem! I come alone and never bother with a tarp and have always had a great view of the stage. Make friends with someone that isn’t using their tarp (or all of it). There is great advice is the other replies. I like the Illium idea (the shuttles are great). Welcome and have fun!