Tarp Line at TBF

Hi, This will be my first time at the TBF and haven’t a clue what the Tarp Line is all about. Can someone please explain what it is?

Same! It’s been 20 years since I attended and I know a lot has changed. Hoping someone will answer this question – thanks for posting!

Every morning, just before the doors open, we assemble with our tarps to make the festive run to lay your tarp for that day. There are two lines, one from the town (usually stretches a LOOONG way) and one for Town park and Warner Field by the softball scoreboard (always seem to read either “867-5309” of “420”). The TP/WF line is formed using Tarp Line Numbers that you will have to grab at the Box Office the afternoon before. The town line is formed by people sleeping out for the night.

I can’t speak for the people in the town line (except that they all smell like soap compared with those in the other line who smell like campfires, alcohol and like they NEED soap) but the TP/WF line up is a VERY social event, as campers encourage their runners to somehow run fast without tripping over the guy in a chicken outfit. Just before the scheduled run, we non-runners grab a space to watch it along the fence or on the bleachers. At the sound of the 1812 Overture, the runners leave the gate in a single file, racing towards the very front, or to a spot to put their shade structure up. Once the runners have thrown their tarps, their friends join them with chairs and a hearty “way to go - this is a perfect spot!” (even if it isn’t).

If you don’t get a good tarp location, it really doesn’t matter all that much. That’s because you are ENCOURAGED to come up close to the stage any time you want and use any open tarp space until the owners return. At that point you either leave or make friends that you’ll have for the rest of your life!

Your tarp stays in your spot for the entire day. At night, people tend to remove their chairs and tarps, or pile them up to create YouTube moments of people falling on their butts cuz they can’t see the piles until too late. Then you do the whole thing all over again the next day.

To get a better idea of the run itself, there are lots of videos on YouTube. It’s fun, it’s silly and it’s a wonderful tradition.

So remember, get a tarp line ticket the afternoon before, get in line at least 20 minutes before the doors open and run like hell. Then you’ll know why we scream FESTIVAAAAAAAAAALLLLLL!!!

6 Likes

Thursday is going to be interesting as the Billy Strings Rail Riders in the town line will be in line all night and run just to get a standing spot on the rail. I love sitting on the tarp for the Chris Thile opening but with Billy there, I will want to join on the rail .

Hello Good People. This Tarp line sounds like its going to be fun. So if we are camping way out in Lawson Hill would that put us in the town line or the other one? Cant wait to see everyone. Thanks.

MikeDink, camping in Lawson would put you in the town line. The other line is only for Warner Field and Town Park campers. Going to be a blast! Just a few more days!

1 Like

Staying up all night for the festival opener does not sound like a good strategy for an enjoyable 4 day experience. Note we are 50ish :blush: I want to get our tarp as close as possible for Chris&Billy, but thought showing up a couple hours before gates to get a random number in the town line would still have us in the low-back area. Am I thinking clearly or underestimating the line size?

1 Like

Appreciate the info Halfeatenbass! See you all on the other side!!

there will be no rail riding during Chris and Billy, rail doesn’t open up until around 7pm. It will be enforced by staff through the day.

1 Like

They say no rail riding but I remember the string coming down and everyone dancing up front to Sierra F last year so I think the Billy fans will be standing at the string line and not sitting .

String line usually drops around 6-7pm. I’m betting most people will be on their tarps for Thursday opening. So won’t be a bunch of space for folks to stand there, unless they got in during the tarp run.