Sunshade policy?

As y’all know, it’s been a few years since I’ve made Telluride, and we’re bringing another little one in tow (20 months old). We’ll also be camping with another clan with little ones, so here’s the question:

The back of the festival was becoming home of the sunshade. Especially for families and kids. We were setting up ours off to the side, out of the way. Is this still going on? If so, what are the rules for the shades? I know “none in front of this line”, but what are the size limits? We got a new one that’s a little larger than the 10x10 we used to use, so I want to be sure it’s kosher.

Thanks,
~Jeff

Brother Jeff
all is as it was “Back in The day”
although the Kelty sunshade seems to be the most used
:thumbsup

Got it…so anything under 20x20 is okay, as long as you call it a 10x10, share, and play nice with others :lol

The back of the festival was becoming home of the sunshade.

If this is how you remember it, it’s probably safe to say that there will be many more than you expect. You may end up using some of that “shared space” if you’re not on the ball. :wink:

:cheers

:lol I appreciate the warning Duston. No worries, I used to spend the night in line just to get a good number to be able to be in the first wave, and then take a sharp turn to the left to get my shade space :slight_smile:

:horsey :horsey :horsey

They’ve been making the sun shades / stuff that isn’t just a tarp start at 50 and above the last few years. Which works out well if you have a number lower than 50 as the look on someone’s face when you trade them 5 for 50 is great.

Last year they actually had a line painted down that all the sunshades had to be behind. Course it was almost gone by Sat, but you could still see the outline of where it was.

Kelty’s are certainly in the majority, I have the medium myself. People have had the large and extra large out there as well as some small ones here and there. There are ez-ups that are 12x12 that I’ve seen and no one has complained about those sfaik.

If you go to the left and are in the front row of sunshades, a path ‘forms’ right in front of the shades to about the middle of the section that people will then go out into the middle of that sitting area and so you’ll have a pretty steady stream of people walking back and forth. Farther on the left side towards the hoop area it doesn’t seem to be as bad with traffic right in front of the shades/ez-ups. The right side wasn’t like that so much with people walking in front of you, but after Thursday/Friday was quite a bit dustier from the area in front of the food booths.

Last year there seemed to be a rise in people that were using the #'s below 50 and running in with just a tarp to reserve their sunshade space and not heading all the way up front. Funny to see those guys almost get run over by the people on the hunt for a spot in front.

not much longer now
-Holden

Although Kelty’s are in the majority still, we prefer an Ez-up and I wish more did since it doesnt block the view like the Kelty’s do…

I totally agree with Debbie. And as for EZ-Ups, the “straight leg” versions are far superior. The old “slant leg” 10x10’s actually only have 8x8 of shade and the slanty legs make them hard to butt up against another shade structure. Slanty legs will trip you up.

Best ez-up for the money is the “First Up” brand from Wally World.

Yeah that’s definitely true, however size and weight are definitely prohibitive. I don’t mind using the ez-up in Lyon’s where you don’t have so far to go with it, but they are quite a bit heavier and bigger to lug around when you’re just one person and it’s hard enough to be able to get in and setup without trying to lug that around. Altho James sure does seem to do a good job bringing up the rear with his!

And besides, if everybody didn’t have nearly an identical Kelty, I’m afraid all the “So are these free for anyone to use?”,“Did Kelty set these up for people?”,“Do you get to set this up and leave it all festival?”,“How come everybody has the same one?”,“Do you guys all know each other and that’s why you have the same sunshade?”,etc questions would go away!

-Holden

And besides, if everybody didn’t have nearly an identical Kelty, I’m afraid all the “So are these free for anyone to use?”,“Did Kelty set these up for people?”,“Do you get to set this up and leave it all festival?”,“How come everybody has the same one?”,“Do you guys all know each other and that’s why you have the same sunshade?”,etc questions would go away!
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

however size and weight are definitely prohibitive. I don’t mind using the ez-up in Lyon’s where you don’t have so far to go with it, but they are quite a bit heavier and bigger to lug around when you’re just one person and it’s hard enough to be able to get in and setup without trying to lug that around

That’s why you bring the wagon… :lol :lol :evil

:slight_smile: And that’d be yet another thing on the list that doesn’t fit in the van. Could always try tyeing it up behind the van and pulling it I suppose. heh…who’d need bumper skiing then!!!

I was there once when that happened! My friends Shawn and Jessica, a few years ago, left with us for lunch in town. Mind you, they had left their chairs, a blanket, and a cooler of water, under their Kelty as well. When we got back, 4 or 5 people had taken up residence! We all had a good laugh when they explained that they thought it was a “first come, first serve - jump to your feet, lose your seat” thing that The Planet had done; complete with a cooler of water.

Such service!!

xoxo Rhonny