Song School 2014

Not many posts, and just a week away.
I’m looking forward to seeing some old friends, and making some new songwriter friends.
And, of course, learning a couple of new things about this weird and mysterious art called songwriting.
This will be the 10th Anniversary of my first Song School, in 2004. That really kick-started my songwriting.

:wave :medal 10 times!! Why you are a very lucky man! Tell me what is the single most valuable or important lesson you have learned while attending Song School? I would love to go some day soon :flower

Hi Landshark,

I haven’t been to Song School 10 times, more like 6 or 7, but this is the 10th anniversary of my first time.

As for the most important lesson, that’s too hard a question to answer. I learned a lot of things, and have learned a lot more on my own in the process of songwriting. I think the most important thing I learned is that songwriting is like learning an instrument or any art or craft or sport. It takes a commitment, and practice. You have to sacrifice; you have to give up things in your life that you enjoy, such as TV, Facebook, sports, socializing with friends, or however you spend your free time, in order to make time for songwriting. You have to be bad before you can be good. You learn by doing. But if you make the sacrifices and put in the time, you can become a good songwriter, violinist, pianist, guitar player, singer, photographer, painter, poet, or whatever else you want to be.

Song School 2014 was a great time. As I hoped, I saw many old friends, and also made some new ones. I heard a lot of good songs, and I think some folks liked mine. Mary Gauthier, Annie Wenz, Antje Duvekot, Michael Bower, Kai Welch: thank you for sharing your songwriting tips with me, they are already being put to work. Justin Roth: thanks for the tips on composing instrumentals. Mike Beck: thanks for embarrassing Ellis. :evil And Ellis, thanks for being you. :thumbsup

Congrats to Craig Ferguson and everybody involved in the restoration of Planet Bluegrass after the flood. It was amazing; if I hadn’t known about the flood, I never would have guessed that anything happened. Well, except for all the missing trees and the woodchips in the backstage campground. But although I miss the trees, it did open up more camping spots by the river. And the wood chips, while annoying when they got in my sandals, sure were handy at soaking up rain (and melted ice in the ice chest).

Happy songwriting, everybody.