One thing I didn't love - on-site camping 2015

First and foremost, we had a great time at Folks 2015. We camped on-site and we got a great spot. One thing, though . . . this is my second time on-site camping (once at Folks and once at RG) and the entry process is so stressful! We got in line at around 3pm on Thursday. Lucky, I had a plan of exactly where I wanted to go (and thought would be available) from previous festivals . .we got a great spot with only minimal blood-pressure issues from another group who was semi-competing for the same space. Luckily it all worked out and there was 6 inches for them to move back.

Soon after we got set-up, we started to see the “stragglers” coming in. My issue is really more for them than for us . .we knew the deal and had a good spot . .but I was approached by 3 different groups who came in late and couldn’t find anywhere to camp. I felt so bad for them but there was nothing I could do except tell them to seek out a festival rep and see if they could help. We were on the “road” and had like 3 feet of “living space” in front of our tent and I honestly felt like giving it away if somebody in a solo tent or something had come along. There were tents super close to the porta-potties . . not really fair considering they paid the same $$ and showed up before the music even started.

I think they should mark out spots and reserve them by size . .ie - rope off the campground into 5x10, 10x20, 20x20, etc “plots” and reserve them that way. The plots are still first-come, first-serve, but everybody is guaranteed a spot. Having to show up even 6 hours in advance for camping that you paid for is, in my opinion, kind of lame.

I agree. It was stressful. Unfortunately, I did not get a good spot. This year, I am going to play the game and park at Bohn Park several days in advance. I have “car camping” but want to bring in a pop-up and park elsewhere. Can I leave the pop up in line and drive my car home until opening day? Or, can I have someone bring the pop up later and hitch it to my car shortly before we are allowed in the festival camp site? This is only my second time and I’m still confused… :slight_smile:

I am so glad I read this. Was planning on camping but I can’t believe they don’t have designated spaces. That’s not gonna fly.

I kinda enjoy the land rush. It’s part of the fun of the festival. The hardcore festivarians who get in line early get their favorite spots. The rest of us grab the best spot available. The idea of having marked spots seems hideous to me.

Is it a mad rush for the riverbend camping too? Or is it more relaxed?