odd sound

Piano Music can make very ODD sounds… I just discovered a couple of days ago.

The oddest Piano Music - that I ever heard - is mixed underneath the voice sound track of Christine O’Donnell’s extremely ODD “new” political ad. She is the controversial Delaware Republican Senate nominee. Sarah Palin gave her a very ODD endorsement.

Does the Piano Music sell “the spin”? Is this for Halloween? Or is this for voters in our November elections?

Christine O’Donnell says, “I’m not a witch. I’m nothing you’ve heard. I’m you. None of us are perfect. I’m Christine O’Donnell. I’m you.”

"But it’s the latter 28 seconds that give me the willies. “I’m nothing you’ve heard,” she tells the camera as day spa piano music plays in the background. “I’m you.” says Robert Schlesinger, in his ODD comment.

On Bill Maher’s show in 1997, Christine O’Donnell says:

“I dabbled into witchcraft. I did. I did. I hung around people who were doing these things. I’m not making this stuff up. One of my first dates was a witch upon a Satanic alter. There was a little blood there, and stuff like that.”

Christine O’Donnell - “I Dabbled Into Witchcraft” - YouTube clip

420sugaree, the piano work reminds me of the guitar in the background of one or two of the BP ads of how they are going to stay until every last drop of oil is sucked from the gulf, or is it that they will clean up as much of the mess as they want, I confuse the message with the soothing music in the background. For years I have heard good songs placed in ads to sell me something. I’m not sure that works on me. The sad [art is when my association with a song and a product diminishes my enjoyment of the music.
Lately, I have read about the effects of loud noise on health.
Having heard horrible sound environments, I know how bad it is to hear loud, irritating sound for long periods of time. I think that we should all pay attention to the sound environment that surrounds us.
I think that is one major reason we continue to come to musical events, to surround ourselves in a healing sound environment.
Is this true?

My world is filled with the beautiful sounds of nature all day everyday …while it does fill me up in a spiritual way and I feel connected to the planet…
Music makes me feel connected to others. Like I love everyone on the planet. :flower

Subblimminal music in the background of commercials is a cheap form of brain wash. What would happen if we played that backwards, would it be Satin talkin … :evil

In an annual rite of passage, I am off to get some firewood. Every fall since the early 1970’s, I have gone in search of a pile of wood for my wood stove. I have a potbelly stove from a Used everything store in Golden that I bought for living in the mountains. It would heat up in a flash and grow cold as soon as the fire dimmed. I now use a stove with a glass so I can see the fire.
I listen to music on my drive, and today it might be the Grateful Dead, Dick’s Picks 36, with three songs from the Boulder show, the first time I heard them live. I think I’ll take New Grass Revival, Too Late to Turn Back Now, as well. When I gather Pinyon wood, I take an axe and a maul, chopping the wood as I go, filling the truck and wondering if I will do this When I’m 64. There are days in the fall, when sunshine and blue sky seem to last forever, with the odd sound of a bird breaking the silence. Here’s to you, old Southern skies, I’m on my way.

Gathering wood today as well Dan. :medal Beautiful day, Fall smells so rich :flower I will be here, up here, gathering wood when I’m 64.

And I will smell the Fall, like yesterday. :cheers

If you are talking about the Dead’s 15th Anniversary shows in Boulder, I was there. Warren Zevon opened up for them; it was great! I was also in Telluride when NGR recorded Too Late to Turn Back Now, in 1977. That was my second time to go to TBF, and my second time to see NGR! That is still one of my all-time favorite recordings. :medal :thumbsup

I could see the San Juans and Lone Cone mountain from where I gathered firewood today. A blue sky and the scrub oak was multi-colored. I listened to the Dead and NGR and I enjoyed the drive. I listened to Lonesome and a Long Way from Home, from NGR and last week from Eric Clapton. With Care From Someone is from Dillard and Clark. I love to follow the life of a song as it infects singers and moves forward to infect thousands of listeners. There are songs that you may never hear the writer sing. There are songs that are rewritten time after time. And sometimes a singer might deliver an old song in a new way, like Robert Plant’s Band of Joy would be fun to see at planet bluegrass. But “This too shall Pass Away”.

The way that words fit to music is a lot like the way that wood fits to wood, like the finish work in a window sill, or making a frame for a picture without using mitre saws, or expensive tools. if the fit is right, we see it or hear it and we accept it as the way it is. If the frame is not true, or the lyrics and music sound cliched or the emotional tones don’t fit, it is like trying to level a house when the foundation isn’t level, it doesn’t seem right, no matter how you look at it.
Trying to find a tune that fits some slightly eerie lyrics and trying to fit a window sill in a window frame that is not square requires more than one attempt in each case. I know neither are right, so I try again. I get closer, but I need to make another cut, I need to change the chord structure and pattern.
Is it “Out of true?”

re: landshark, Cindy Lou, bouzouki… Wood cutting, heating, etc.

Can I dispell this myth: Heating with wood is so much ‘cheaper’?

That’s bull. Like you all, I lived in Colo Mtns (WonderVu) for years, gathered wood, hauled wood, bucked up wood, split wood, stacked wood, and heated with wood. When ALL the costs are added up, including your time, it’s more expensive. In my case, yes, heating with wood “was a better way to go.”

re: great odd sounds

1. Ken Buck’s concession yesterday!
  2. Billy for President - by Bob Weir, Anchorage, AK, 21-June-1980 (mp3 track - 00:23) “A vote for Billy Kreutzmann is a vote for Nature in the Streets.”

http://www.archive.org/serve/uploaded/dead-head_Monte-19761009_0994.jpg

1. composite GD banter track - mp3, 08:27

2. re: NGR / With Care From Someone tune - here’s the pull
    NGR - With Care From Someone - mp3, 09:49

Thanks that was really nice M. and wood is not a matter of money, sometimes up here, we get big storms that cut out the power. No power no well, no nuttin. Wood for heat and cooking a must in the Winter and Spring months. :flower Plus I just like a fire, it’s sexy :lol

re: Spring Months / odd sounds

Mocking Bird - Vassar & Doug, mp3, 3:03

http://www.isellswfl.com/images/mockingbird.jpg

Vassar’s bowing licks are timeless

http://www.archive.org/download/vc75-04-04.AUD.fob/vassar.gif

OK Dan then how do you explain Bob Dylan? Way in the day Bob sounded sort of off to me. But now he sounds , well perfectly off. :flower :medal

OK Dan then how do you explain Bob Dylan? Way in the day Bob sounded sort of off to me. But now he sounds , well perfectly off. :flower :medal
[/quote]
I know lots of people that can’t pound a nail or play any more music than a radio. They can tell me they like a house in a subdivision because it fits so nicely with every other house on the block. They don’t like Bob Dylan because of his voice. I think of all the songs I have heard and how they are put together. When it is seamless, vibrant, alive, and all the pieces fit like the smell of bacon early in the morning of one of the magical days of TBF, I don’t have to bite it to tell if its gold. I think of the Beatles and the Grateful Dead as two sides of a thin coin, tight and perfectly crafted, and loose so that anything can happen. When those two sides flow, I can feel it. Today I have been working on a song with ghosts in it. Today I have been fitting a window sill as well. As these two projects move closer to being finished, I can see my lack of skill as a wood butcher, and I don’t hear the eerie sound of the ghosts that I want. Tomorrow, they might be just right, or you may not hear or see the imperfections, but like the outtakes of Bob Dylan, the Beatles, or The Grateful Dead, there was something that kept them from keeping that sound. That reminds me of Michelle Shocked asking that her show not be recorded so that she could give us something to remember. It is something I remember from Vassar. John Hartford, Jerry Garcia, and lots of others that a recording will never hold, the way it is played out of the “Odd Sound” :wave

You’re the only one who said anything about heating with wood being cheaper, and I didn’t mention using it at all, so not sure where you’re coming from. The post was mostly about music he listens to when he drives to get wood, and very good music too!

I don’t gather or cut wood any more for my own use, but my old man does, and in the winter I cook on and in that stove WAY more than using his propane stove/oven. It is much more efficient than the old heater in his trailer ever was. And, he actually only has to go a short distance to a wood yard where they strip logs for boards and fencing materials, and the pieces are perfect for stacking and for the size of the stove, so no cutting involved and it’s not as expensive as natural gas or propane, down here anyway. The wood guy is a friend of his, so that helps get a nice discount. He went today (finally) to get wood, and got almost 2 cords for $50. Most folks would have to pay $100, but that is still a good deal.

Plus the cats and dogs sure like to cozy up to it, so for us, and many others, it is a better option, or at least preferred. Like Miki said, when the power goes off, I’ve got a warm home and a hot meal, a way to heat water that has been stored, and no worries about how long before the power will be back on. We have ice chests to put food in, in case the electric is off for more than a few days, and have never lost anything due to power outages. In fact, last winter when we had epic storms, we turned off one old energy hog refrigerator, put the food into coolers and set them in a shaded area buried in a big ol’ snowbank, and didn’t turn that sucker back on for 5 months! I did the same at my house too, and my electric bill sure did go down. I just wish I could afford one of those new energy efficient ones, but until then, coolers in the snowbank will have to do. Reminds me of my college days! :cheers

I like the sound of an axe over the sound of a chainsaw, but sometimes the chainsaw will do.
I like the crackle of a wood fire, but the natural gas flue doesn’t need a chimney sweep.
I like my chickens eating my kitchen waste, and I give them light in the winter.
I heard a truck go over the rumble strip on the interstate, it reminded me of a foghorn.
I watched clouds roll up the canyon in Telluride looking a lot like the rising tide on the ocean.
I’ll never chop wood with the speed that Sam Bush chops his mandolin, we all move to our own rhythm.
I can feel the rhythm of the solstice coming, each day being squeezed a bit more by the night.
In six months, if my house was this temperature, I wouldn’t think it was warm, I would be glad it is cool.
In six months, I will be looking for someone to water the garden while we are setting up our tents, I’ll be walking around the community, saying hello to old friends, listening to the odd sound of the sound system bouncing off the cliffs, wandering in wonder, waiting to be filled with sound.
I like the sound of “How many of you have been here all four days?” over a loudspeaker and a roar of thousands of voices, the tickle of a bell at the beer booth, and two people meeting and greeting each other as if they hadn’t seen each other for a year.

Thanks bouzouki…gave me my smile for the day!
:thumbsup :flower :thumbsup :flower

:thumbsup Thanks for this writing today, quite refreshing. :cheers

wandering in wonder, waiting to be filled with sound.

I especially like this line…another TBF song lyric started, maybe? :medal

“J.Cow Christmas. (hope he’s in for 2011)”

He IS? :medal

Ferg, Dustin, Brian… ANYBODY!!!

Can we get a confirmation???

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Auntie Hope :festivarian2 :green

There are times when it is all an odd sound, every song held in check by instruments that dance with vocals, daring the universe to let this sound go free. I remember hearing NGR playing rock and roll songs that I loved, on the Telluride stage, and there is proof of that with J. Cowan singing a Beatles song on a Buegrass album…, Telluride Bluegrass of course. To think of all the voices I have heard over the years, another new voice is all i can ask. I wonder if Robert Plant will be wowed by Telluride?
I was reminded tonight by a PBS show about folk music, part of my musical roots, and how much music means to me, every kind of music, and I love hearing bits and pieces of the wide variety of TBF performers over the years.
I’ll put another log on the fire, coming one day closer to the solstice.

:thumbsup AMEN! :thumbsup
:cheers