Not really enough room for 12,000 people

It has been a few years since our last TBF, but I don’t remember seeing the second row of sponsor tents that were there this year. This loss of real estate forced the shade structures into what used to be tarp space. In my opinion, there wasn’t enough room for everyone. We still enjoyed the show this year but… I know money must drive everything, but it is not a good feeling trying in vain to find space for a tiny tarp and two chairs when entering in the original line. Nonetheless, congrats to the Festival for 50 great years.

3 Likes

I wondered why the shade tents were taking over the tarp spaces. I thought it was because the festival caters to large groups (which it does), instead it was to expand the area for sponsored tents. Either way, like everything, it’s about money. Also, I am not a fan of the tarp run, why do you get an advantage because you are young and can run fast. One tarp run, I got knocked to the ground by a young athletic man who made no attempt to see if I was ok. Planet Bluegrass likes to brag about the sacred tarp run, so I know it’s not going change. Also, after dark, those in the low chair area get trampled. I’ll just have to learn to live with it. I love the music and plan on attending future festivals if my health allows (not getting any younger!).

2 Likes

I agree, but I think the issue is that the amount of real estate for tents has exploded in the last 5 years. The tents I sat in, the folks also had empty tarps closer to the stage most of the day. This is the first year the tents have been allowed on the back of the ‘vendor’ side of the field. On the ‘potty’ side, the tarp area behind the low chair area has shrunk markedly over the last few years as well. More area for tarps please. With 12K people, there just isn’t room on the tarp areas.

3 Likes

I was very surprised that shade structures were allowed on the right side of the field this year. First time I’ve seen that in 8 years, and I don’t really think it was a positive change.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info. I knew there was something different.

1 Like

Definitely one of my big disappointments. If you weren’t in line or didn’t have someone in line by 700am Sunday, you were pretty much out of luck.

Seems like a system for those that run and have been regulars for years. A bluegrass nepotism.

Anyways sucks that there seemed to be so little space. That and the fact that I am just getting over COVID which realistically was from the weekend….my wife having shown symtoms 2
Days after getting back.

Not all complaints. We had fun, but things need to be improved somehow for the tarp real estate

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more with the above replies. We may be on the verge of losing something special, y’all. Money is one thing, but the reason we are all such TBF die-hards is because we have all experienced the MAGIC of the music and the community feeling.

2 Likes

Speaking of the tarp run, I think it is a time honored tradition that should continue, but the days of sleeping in line are over for this boy. I’m still not sure how the whole process works, but there does not seem to be any adherence to any “rules” like the size of tarp, or not lining up before 5:00pm. Those are impossible to police anyway, so it seems clear to me that we need a different system. All that said, even if you get a number in the 400’s, there is no more room left when you get in to throw a tarp anyway, so what’s the point? Shall we appoint a committee to study the problem and make recommendations?

1 Like