Non-Camping, Aging Newbies

Believe it or not, 4 months ago, we were planning a road trip thru CO, decided on a whim to stay in Telluride since we’d never been there, and, WTH, since all our fave artists were in town, we bought TBF passes. Now what? We’re a 60-plus couple who usually goes to one-night Dead/BG shows or that take place inside at bougie Arts Centers. So many ??'s If we get down there about 9-10 a.m. Thu a.m., what kind of car line is there to get into town? We can show we have paid lodging in town, but parking is FCFS, so I’m assuming once we get a spot in our building’s garage, we shouldn’t move it before Monday morning, right? I’ll also have a bike on a rack. Is it safe to lock it outside with a good lock all week or do I need to take it inside our apt? If we’re a 10-minute walk from Town Park each day, what do we need/can we bring in beside chairs, phones, water bottles, sunblock, and wristbands? I don’t see cooler restrictions. Alcohol, food all ok? Is it easy to traipse in and out to our apt throughout the day? Appreciate all tips, stories, friendly warnings, or full memoirs.

1 Like

You’ll face quite the car line, but assuming you have a town parking permit, shouldn’t face too much hassle as driving into town is restricted by Thursday. I would def not even think about moving your car all weekend, and shouldn’t need to as Telluride is super walkable, and more so bikeable. Speaking of, a good lock should suffice.

Going back and forth from fest to lodging is easy, especially if you’re not carrying a bag every time. Set up in the morning and you shouldn’t need to deal with bag check much afterwards. Coolers, food, and NA beverages are fine, but don’t try to BYOB. Depends on weather every year, but you could easily come in and set up in the morning all set for the day, and probably only head back to your lodgings once dark threatens in order to layer up and shuttle some day gear back before the night sets start to ramp up!

3 Likes

To get past the barricade and drive into town, you’ll need to show proof of accommodation. Hopefully someone else can chime in on the need for a barricade pass or if your reservation confirmation will suffice. If you can’t find space in your condo garage, you’ll be directed to park up in Mountain Village after you drop your belongings, and take the gondola back into town. There are lots of volunteers who will help you get to where you need to be.

Bikes are super safe in town. We still lock ours, but you’ll see a lot of unlocked and unattended bikes. As mentioned, no alcohol allowed through gates, but bring a reusable water bottle (free refill stations inside the fest) and all the snacks and NA beverages you want. Good beer and cocktail options inside. Wine, too, but can’t speak to kind or quality. Easy walk to and from the venue and town, and you can come and go as you please.

3 Likes

Great advice already. Come up for First Grass the night before Festival opening. First grass show starts at 5pm - it’s free. We are hosting newcomers on the hill. We will have an Australian themed flag on grass. Bring snacks, there are drinks for sale. It’s a terrific night and a lovely way to meet people. Welcome, you’re going to love it. Catch the free gondola up the mountain.

2 Likes

As a recently sober festivarian, can I bring my own NA Beer? It looks very much like Beer, but it specifically indicates non-alcoholic. I’m not a big fan of soda. TIA!

1 Like

I believe NA beer is allowed in

2 Likes

It definitely is. No alcohol, no glass!

2 Likes

We can’t get there before Thursday. Have a 20 hour drive as it is, but looking forward to the 4 days we have. But much thanks for the invite, @Australian_fan and all the friendly info!