3. Grateful Dead - What a Long Strange Trip
  4. Grateful Dead - Aoxomoxoa
  5. Paul Simon - Negotiations and Love Songs
  6. Led Zepplin - II
  7. Allman Brothers - Greatest Hits
  8. Phish - Billy Breathes
  9. Phish - Hoist
  10. Keller Williams - Buzz

Those are pretty close, if they weren’t the first ones I actually bought, they were definitly the first ones I remember really digging…

When I first bought albums, they were very expensive, but inflation has taken its toll, and the value of money is certainly different. here goes:
1 Cream- Fresh Cream
2 The Doors
3 Moody Blues- On the Threshold of a Dream
4 Jethro Tull- Benefit
5 Buffalo Springfield- Best of
6 Beatles- Yesterday and Today
7 Its a Beautiful Day
8 Spirit- Fresh Garbage
9 James Taylor
10 The Byrds- Untitled

I could stack the records and play one side, then turn over the stack and play the other side.
This does not mean I didn’t hear a lot of other music, but $1.99 was a lot of money and $3.49 took too much lunch money.
Now, if you would come over and strictly listen to music, from A to Z, “It would burn off both of your ears”. :lol

Oh goody!

The Beatles- 8 days a Week-I think I was about 9 or 10 years old, we had a penny taped on the arm needle to keep this record from skippin we played it so much.

Hank Williams-Your Cheatin’ Heart- Fell in love with him after hearing him play in a movie at the age of 9. Had to have this song on 45 no less…

Switched On Bach- I babysat for some terrific folks that had one incredable sound system when I was 13. Bach, Jazz they’d let me go divin in and just jam out and so I did. 13 years old

Phebie Snow- This woman has incredibal range and depth. Love her jazzy sound and I knew all her songs front and back. Where is she?

New Grass Revival- Can not remember the Album just remember this city girl from Chgo wanted more but could not find it …

Gotta think…

OK, I’m gonna age myself and I had to really think on this but here goes in no particular order:

Aqualung - Jethro Tull
Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
Woodstock: Music from the Original soundtrack and More
Will The Circle Be Unbroken - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Grand Funk Railroad - E Pluribus Funk
Dance To The Music - Sly and the Family Stone
Share The Land - The Guess Who
4 Way Street - Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
Bob Dylan’s Greatest Hits Vol. II
Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream - Mason Proffit

I actually went to high school with the boys in Mason Proffit. They were a couple years ahead of me and were the first hippies in school. They had a major influence on my country/bluegrass leanings along with my Dad forcing me to listen to Marty Robbins and Johnny Cash after he had a couple beers.

One of the First Albums I bought was
Jesus Christ SuperStar
which I saw On Broadway in 1973
with Ben Vereen as Judas
ok I have Dated …myself :cheers

OK… I’m gonna date myself…

It was so long ago, I have no idea…
http://www.telluridetom.com/images/th_hehe.gif

I’m really going to embarrass myself…

Donny Osmond’s Puppy Love was my 1st record.

Otis Redding - Dock Of The Bay

Proud to say have never owned a Beatles Album.

I’m posting this in the basement with the lights out so no one see’s…

Barry Manilow’s Greatest Hits (Double Record!)
Airsupply’s Greatest Hits
Alvin & The Chipmunks (Covering Rock Songs)
Asia (1st album)
Styx - Paradise Theater

That’s all I remember

BARRY M!!! :hooch :lol :lol :lol Good thing our taste develop over time cowboy,geeesh :frowning:

Paul Raveer and the Raiders- Kicks

The Monkees

The Doors
Fleetwood Mac

Papa John Creech-wicked fiddle player…

some of the first I remember receiving/ digging

Led Zeppelin - IV

Jimmy Buffett - Hot Water

Jethro Tull - Aqualung

Blind Melon - Blind Melon

Garth Brooks - No Fences

Pantera - Cowboys From Hell

Metallica - …and Justice For All

:wave Now who is dating whom? You guys are making me dig deep.

Neil Young-Harvest - was the first.
Nat King Cole - Unforgetable
Beatles - Sgt Peppers
Dead - Aomaxocaca
something from John Hartford - I can’t remember -
(Aereoplane came into my life much later)
Cast Recording of Brigadoon
Bernstein ? - 1812 overture
Carmina Burana
Maynard Ferguson
Herb Albert - taste of honey

I was busy studying music in those days, I mostly made music and listened to AM radio.

:peace

There is a song that was huge when I was growing up, I can remember the words but not the name. It goes like this

Somthins happenin’ here, what it is ain’t exactly clear, theres a man with a gun over there,
You gotta stop hey whats that sound everybody look whats goin down…somethin, somethin :frowning: :rolleyes

It was popular in the 70’s. I would wash dishes every night after dinner (7th grade) and sing and play this song over and over…

Buffalo Sprinfield maybe??? Does anybody know what this song title is?

Jefferson Airplane I believe. The song tite is Stop children - or something like that.

Thanks!

That song is “For what It’s Worth” Buffalo Springfield Steven Stills (singing lead).

I remember a couple of Beachboy Albums.
Elton Johns album w/ Your Song
Rolling Stones
West Side Story
Ultimate Spinach (60s Boston band)
My sister was hooked on Johnny Mathis and Andy Williams so I may have heard them more than I wanted to.
James Brown
The Four Tops

My brains caving in!! Too hard to remember!!

Thanks for getting this started Dayton and congrats…you have very good taste in english woman!
Never did own neither a Beatles or a Dead album…not ashamed of that either.

When the hippie across the street decided that he was tired of hearing the standard AM shit that I was listening to in 1970 (Paul Revere and the Raiders, 1910 Fruitgum Co., the BillyJack sound track) he asked me to help him work on his '67 Triumph Spitfire and here some Cream…I never listened to music the same.
So Dayton, since you started it, here it goes;
The Easy Rider Soundtrack
The Monkees…around 1967…I was 7 and remember waking up on christams morning and being the first to see the tree. There it was like a shining beacon…Michael Nesmith, Peter Tork, Mickey Dolenz, and Davey Jones. I could see their red stretch GTO convertible in my future. Ha. Michael Nesmith was the only “true” musician of the bunch…
Led Zeppelin on a 45…Immigrant song on side “A” and Hey, hey, what can I do? on the “B” side.
Norman Greenbaum, Spirit in the sky…a 45 again and I have no idea what was on side “B”.
And of course, and this one is for you Miki…the 5th Dimension, The Age of Aquarius.
Ten Years After…Here They come.
There is sooo much more, and non of it even close to the Bluegrass I listen to now.
What a long (and incredible), strange trip it has been.
More to follow.

When the hippie across the street decided that he was tired of hearing the standard AM shit that I was listening to in 1969 or 70 he asked me to help him work on his Triumph Spitfire and listen to Cream…I never listened to music the same.

I’m afraid this is a difficult one for me, I never had much money for buying records when I was growing up, and I am ashamed to admit that I was a teenager in the 90’s, and everyone has blissfully forgotten about the pop music of that era…
Well, I might as well own up to it, after breaking free from my parents musical tastes (bluegrass, american folk, west coast hippie rock, jazz) around the age of 10, I was sucked into the Spice Girls mania that infected all the other girls of my age. Lucky my parents wouldn’t let us by the record! :lol :lol :lol
After that I had a Fugees stint, and the first album I ever bought was: The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
Didn’t bother buying anything else after that, just listened to the radio, Tracy Chapman, Red Hot Chili Peppers, folky rock kinda stuff.
After that I got back into Bluegrass and proceeded to buy in CD format all the albums my dad had on tape:
The entire Alison Krauss discography
Laurie Lewis
The Lynn Morris Band
Tim O’Brien
Tony Rice…

My earliest memories of music are my mum listening to Simon and Garfunkel’s greatest hits and Paul Simon’s Graceland.
My dad’s first try at bluegrass type music: Nitty Gritty Dirt Band: Will The Circle Be Unbroken Vol 2
Getting our first official bluegrass tapes through the post (around 1990): a double sided Alison Krauss tape, one album on each side, Too Late To Cry and Two Highways. I remember thinking her voice was the best thing I’d ever heard :love
Discovering James Taylor in my early teens was particularly memorable…

This topic takes me WAY back (to the early 60’s)!

First ten albums (to the best of my recollection):

1. The Chad Mitchell Trio (when John Denver was a member of the group)
  2. Joan Baez (first album)
  3. Judy Collins (first album)
  4. The Paul Butterfield Blues Band
  5. Beatles, Rubber Soul
  6. Beatles, Revolver
  7. The Mamas and the Papas
  8. Mothers of Invention, Freak Out
  9. Beatles, Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Heart’s Club Band
  10. Jefferson Airplane, Surrealistic Pillow (still one of my all-time favorites)

This was Buffalo Springfield , song = “For What It’s Worth”.