Looking for festivarians or RV parks between Albuquerque and New Orleans

I need to drive between LA and New Orleans this summer. Still planning which way I’ll go. We’re thinking of renting an RV, (I know, gas is going up). It might not happen, but we’ll be a caravan. Flagstaff is in, Albuquerque is in, then I need one more stop. Any suggestions?

Where have you been?

Any suggestions for RV camp sites (small small rv) between here and there?

Thanks all.

Courtness

When are you getting off I-40 and heading south?

I don’t know. :flower

I can’t offer any advice on RV parks but when I drive in the summer- the boys and I take 380 through TX… Nice road- you go through many small towns. This comes out near Denton , Tx and then you can keep going until 30 and totally avoid the hold DFW mess… ( this may not be fastest but is less stress and much prettier). The area around Greenville is nice and may have some RV parks. They have one of the best La Quinta hotels in the country…LOL.

Hi,

I can only add a couple of pieces to the puzzle.

First of all, unless you REALLY hoof it, you’ll need a couple of stops between ABQ and NO, no matter which way you go.

If you head south on I-25 at ABQ to I-10 near Las Cruces, NM, you can basically stay I-10 all the way…but, there is nothing (and I mean nothing) between El Paso and Kerrville except Fort Stockton, TX. There’s got to be RV parks there in Ft. Stockton, but we’ve always motel’d it. Generally, Fort Stockton is 8 hours out of Albuquerque. Kerrville is another 3 & 1/2 hours past that.

From Kerrville on (still another 600+ miles to NO), you are more or less in civilization (except it’s TX and LA, of course) from there to New Orleans.

If you have anytime to stop and smell the roses along this route, I recommend the Texas hill country in the area roughly formed by I-10, I-35 and Hwy 290. Lots of unique places, but being in a hurry isn’t allowed in that part of the world.

Have fun,
Other Ron in Albuquerque

[quote author=AnythingAtAll link=topic=2433.msg19695#msg19695 date=1206074243]
Hi,

First of all, unless you REALLY hoof it, you’ll need a couple of stops between ABQ and NO, no matter which way you go.

If you head south on I-25 at ABQ to I-10 near Las Cruces, NM, you can basically stay I-10 all the way

I have done Hattiesburg to Greenville in one day ALONE w/ kiddies so not impossible to do with just one stop…

1-10 will be the HOTTEST route that time of year… That’s why we go north in NM/TX even though we start on 1-10… The difference between 105 plus to around 80’s-95’s is a big difference.

I-10 between Kerrville and El Paso sucks. :evil

Auntie Hope :pickin

One other thing I always do when planning a major road trip is to check each state’s hiway/road websites for construction zones. Sometimes this will eliminate a route altogether, or at least you’ll know to expect it.

If it’s summer in Tx, chances are it’s going to be hot- everywhere. I’m originally from North Dallas/Denton area. July and August can cook, throw in humidity and you’re cookin’ w/steam.

If you go the northern route, I-40 to Amarillo to Hwy 287 (which can take you to Denton via 380) or to Fort Worth is the usual route to DFW. Ulimately, you want I-20E. Years ago, looping around (counter-clockwise) and south of Dallas-FW on 820/I-20 had far less traffic than other routes, but it’s been about 10 years since I’ve been that way (and it depends on time of day). I-20 to I-49 at Shreveport should be best bet from there.

As you know by now, basically- you can’t get there from here.

Ron (other Ron)(in ABQ)

This is all very helpful. I appreciate your suggestions. Keep’em comin’ if you think of something. I love this forum. :flower