Lodging Questions

My wife and I attended our first TBF in 2008. (Needless to say it was the time of our lives.) We camped for that one. This year we will be initiating 3 couples to the joys of the fest. Unfortunately they are not the camping type so the only way to talk them into coming was the promise of a condo. I am noticing a huge price discrepency between the properties in Mt. Village and the properties in Downtown Telluride. I can only assume that this price difference is a reflection of the convenience lost by staying in Mt. Village. I am hoping that some of my fellow festivarians can do their best to educate me on the best solution for our trip.

Thanks!

I think it would be helpful for you to throw out some details such as:

of bedrooms

Address/Location in town ( I can’t speak to Mt. Village)
Amenities (i.e. deck, hot tub, etc)
Price per night

With this info we can help you out. Here’s some perspective. I’ve rented a 3 bedroom condo with deck/gas grill on Pine St (right near the Last $ Saloon and a five minute walk). That went for $550 a night approx for 5 night stay. That was definitely on the higher end of things.

of bedrooms - 2-3

Address/Location in town - In town, Easy access to bars
Amenities (i.e. deck, hot tub, etc) - Full kitchen and would like to have a grill
Price per night - Obviously as cheap as possible, hoping not to exceed $500/night, but not sure if that is realistic

Perhaps a better question to ask is, does anyone have any suggestions in regards to whom we should be trying to work with on this?

These folks are on the higher end but definitely a pleasure to work with and can’t hurt to call:

http://www.vacationtelluride.com/

Just a heads up - I imagine a lot of the in town locations (near bars, etc) maybe booked. Probably some out there but could be more expensive (so negotiate them down).

Thanks for the help! I figure going in that things are pretty well booked at this point. Just hoping to get lucky right now!

We booked the 2nd story of the Cornerhouse Grille house this year on http://www.vrbo.com. $325/nt for a 2 bed/2 bath plus a couple sofa sleepers (& a grill). So, I think it’s still possilbe to get something under $500 in town.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed on a Cornmeal addition too! Best of luck!! :fish

Check out the lodging page on our website: Planet Bluegrass Telluride Lodging page

the first two links particularly are good options. Give them a call and let them know what you’re looking for. They really have their fingers on the pulse in T-ride, and could help you find somewhere that works within your parameters.

:cheers

I’ve stayed in Mountain Village for the past few years (The Lodge at Mountain Village) and have to chime in that there is little ‘convenience’ lost by staying in Mtn Village. Its a gorgeous 20 minute or so Gondola Ride from the parking garage in Mtn Village to Telluride, and then a 10 minute or so walk to the festival grounds. The gondola runs until about an hour after the Nightgrass events, in my experience, so there’s no chance of getting ‘stranded’.
If you’re looking for accommodations that are stumbling distance to bars, late night venues and near ‘the action’, then lodging in downtown T-ride is definitely worth pursuing. However, if you don’t mind having to be a gondola ride away from town and lodging in a much quieter, yet still amenity-laden locale, Mountain Village lodging is definitely worth considering. Not to mention, the money saved on lodging can be spent on goods from the plethora of awesome vendors at the festival … and … more flank-steak and sweet-potato fries!!!

Best of luck in whichever approach you undertake.

/r

kevin

“My wife and I attended our first TBF in 2008. (Needless to say it was the time of our lives.) We camped for that one. This year we will be initiating 3 couples to the joys of the fest. Unfortunately they are not the camping type so the only way to talk them into coming was the promise of a condo. I am noticing a huge price discrepency between the properties in Mt. Village and the properties in Downtown Telluride. I can only assume that this price difference is a reflection of the convenience lost by staying in Mt. Village. I am hoping that some of my fellow festivarians can do their best to educate me on the best solution for our trip”

Actually, vrbo.com is still showing plenty of lodgings for the fest in both Telluride and Mtn Village. Check it out.

/r

Kevin

My family has always stayed in Telluride near the base of the gondola. We have had friends who stayed in Mt. Village their first year, but have since stayed in Telluride for the festival. Telluride is without a doubt more expensive, but the ladies appreciate being able to quickly walk to the room and back to Town Park in between sets. That alone is worth the money to them.

We’ve stayed in Mountain Village for the past few years (though somewhat sheepishly seeing as how many years we camped). The gondola ride is magnificent, seeing the Festival from a bird’s eye view all the colors, and people and flags, etc. Far from being an inconvenience, a few Gondola rides a day are an absolute bonus that puts the whole experience in perspective.