Lawson questions

Howdy.

1. Do people camping at Lawson bring everything they need for the weekend and cook, etc. at their tent?
  2. Related to #1, are the cars reasonably accessible, so you can resupply, cook at the car, etc?
  3. Are there any spots nearby with decent Verizon cell reception?

Thank you kindly.

Lawson is soccer fields just outside of town. The parking area is not right next to the tent area. People will be cooking in camp. Seems most cell services work well in the whole valley area.

1 Like

Resupply from the car is definitely doable, but most people wouldn’t want to make the trek back and forth multiple times per day. Your car will also likely be parked in a space without shade, so it will be HOT in there, even if you block out the windows - something to keep in mind based on what you plan to store in there.

You’re also very close to a gas station, brewery, deli, coffee shop, and bakery which can help supplement supplies.

2 Likes

Depending on when you arrive at Lawson, your car may be parked off-site so it is best not to plan on having access to your car or food.

1 Like

Hey there McMike!

This will be my third year camping at Lawson and second working the gate there (volunteering). Here’s how it works.
What day will you be arriving? (The earlier the better.) You will drive your vehicle down into a small parking area, quickly unload everything you need for the weekend into a pile, move your car to the parking area up the hill, then return to move your pile to your chosen camping spot (in a baseball field).
If you are there by Thursday you should get to park in the lot near the field (relatively short hike up a hill), by Friday you will have to park at overflow parking and have to take a shuttle to your vehicle (they run pretty regularly). There are showers nearby (but get super busy at typical times), and like someone said a gas station, laundromat, deli and Telluride Brewery within walking distance.
I have Verizon, and in my experience, reception in the ball field (in a low depression), has been spotty at best. But messages will eventually go through.

Oh! Also forgot to add…if you have a wagon, bring it to haul gear in to your tent site. There are some wheelbarrows, but can be difficult to snag one. I have a wagon you could borrow also.

3 Likes

Thanks!

Thanks for the photo also. I see a lot of EZups, do some folks set up both a tent and also hang-out area, or are those EZUps on top of their tents?

They are for a hang out area. It gets surprisingly hot in the mountain sun in the afternoons. Because space is limited, it’s always great to share your shade if you have some.

Great. We are happy to share. But it’s okay to set up both a tent and an ezup, even though there’s limited space.

Yep! It’s usually the most crowded Friday night. I think some ppl come for just the first couple days or the last couple, and Friday seems to be the overlap. I’ve been surprised at how many ppl leave on Saturday!