Have you heard of Blackle?

Heyo,

Just giving a heads up on this new website, www.blackle.com. It runs a google search but uses a black screen to save energy. Think of how often we use google! anyway, I guess it’s really been making a difference . . . ch-ch-check it out!

Ill chime in here with some techie stuff.

Blackle will only save power if you are using a CRT monitor. This is because a cathode-ray tube requires energy to illuminate each white pixel. LCD monitors (any flat screen, or laptop) actually tend to use MORE power to display black due to how they work. LCD screens have a backlight that is always on. to display white, no electrical charge is applied to the LCD pixels, and the backlight shines through. To display black, however, requires power to block the backlight as best it can.

So to sum it up, if you are using a CRT monitor, this can help. However, if you are using an LCD, its probably not going to.

Source:
http://techlogg.com/content/view/360/1/

And for more powersaving Ideas:
http://techlogg.com/content/view/367/

you would . . . :abduct (me spacing out in while reading that, since I have no idea what you’re talking about)

hey, every little bit counts, right? :flower

Excellent point, Adam!!

:bash

:medal We hereby award Adam the St James Fumtu99 geek award of the week for his incredible density.

:cheers

Adam… take your bow before your 15 minutes of fame have vanished! :rock

Auntie Hope :pickin

Looks like I’m sticking with the goog version.

There are around 17 different versions of “black google” online. The best one I’ve found is www.cleanblack.com. Cleanblack is the only version that allows you to change the text colors of the google search results. Try it yourself by going to www.cleanblack.com/theme/

Oh I thought Blackle was a black strap molasses blended with Treacle… :huh
Well anyway sounds interesting, but i work on a laptop… silly me…

I thought it was the crusty black edges of bacon…

:lol :lol :lol :lol
Yeah, me too!

Come to find out Black Strap Molasses is the same thing as Treacle
oh well…