Good music clubs (blues) in Memphis

On my drive out to Telluride I’m planning on spending a night (midweek) in Memphis.

Can anyone recommend a good blue club in Memphis?

:cheers

Bill

Billy, I do not have a recommendation. However, I’m pretty sure any club in Moab is out, right? LOL

All-
I haven’t been active on this board very long and I know this is from a year ago, but there are lots of interesting music spots in Memphis depending on what time of the week you’re here!

On Beale Street, I like the Rum Boogie Cafe and Beale Street Tap Room for blues. Honestly, though, on any given night you can take a walk down Beale and listen for what sounds best to you – there’s usually something for everyone, be it Karaoke, covers, originals, hard blues, acoustic blues, etc.

For food downtown, I’d always send you to Blues City Cafe for some awesome ribs, shrimp, and/or tamales (though they’re southern tamales, not traditional ones) or to Gus’s World Famous Fried Chicken is the best chicken I’ve ever had … I take visitors here in a heartbeat and I don’t even like fried chicken very much. Always worth checking out the New Daisy Theater on Beale to see what’s going on … you never know: could get Decemberists or Old Crow, could get local heavy metal showcase :slight_smile:

Off of Beale/away from downtown, there’s the Hi-Tone Cafe for an eclectic mix of live music, Minglewood Hall for some bigger touring acts that roll through (think Gov’t Mule, Jimmy Herring Band, Of Montreal, Old Crow Medicine Show). Wild Bill’s is a fun romp – they have a soul/blues house band and only serve beer by the quart. To some this might be in a sketchy part of town but I’ve never had any trouble, and the music and dancing is intimate and exciting!

Shoot me a PM if anyone’s coming to Memphis for suggestions, though!