First Time RockyGrass Camper at Lavern Johnson -- Have ??'s

Hi all! :wave

Never camped at Lavern Johnson before – I live fairly close to Lyons so I’ve been to the park and area many times, just never been there during a Planet Bluegrass weekend. Do they allow tent camping throughout the grassy area in the middle or is camping only allowed in the regular camping area? If I remember correctly that middle grassy area stays pretty damn sunny in the middle of the day!! Yikes.

Welcome any and all pro tips/feedback for camping at Lavern Johnson. Bringing my 75-year old mom this year – who is a very vibrant, young 75 - but looking to make it all as comfortable as possible. Thanks!!

Yes, the grassy area is open to tent camping and it gets pretty filled up.
If you get there early enough you may be lucky enough to score a spot closer to the trees for shade.

we have always brought a canopy for sun and always been a bit of rain and wind

It does get sunny in the day for sure. If you have one, bring a shade structure or pop up! If you can get a spot towards the back there is some nice shade and close access to the far bathrooms where you can also charge your phone under the picnic shelter, but its a longer jaunt from the back of the park to the festival that can get tiring. We enjoy camping back there but coming back at night can be a bit of a trick if you forget your headlamp haha! Some good camp lights are handy.
See you soon :wave