Festival "Virgin"

Thanks for the suggestions. We were wondering if we should just stay put, but there are so many other incredible things to see out there and we are from Philadelphia, so the lure of Mesa Verde and Moab is there. Ouray does sound pretty cool, although we are just as happy getting into natural hot springs that are not developed into tourist spas. Anything like that in the vicinity of Telluride?
Any suggestions of what to do on Wednesday before the concert when we arrive in town? My husband was thinking about walking around Town Park before it is closed to noncampers to check out the scene.

:pickin :band

Yes. That. :slight_smile:

Okay, Sweet. I’ll bite.
Driving, walking or flying? I suggest you do a little digging. Mesa Verde and the 4 Corners area is great, as is, the Colrado National Monument, Moab and all of Western Colorado. Just depends on what you are in to. If it is mountain biking, the Kokapeli trails are some of the best in the world. Hiking, the Monument in Grand Junction or the hikes in the Verde are also the best anywhere. How much time do you have, what does the all like to do together. 10 and 14? What are they into?
You also have the Grand Mesa out of Grand Junction, largest Mesa in the world at over 10K. Camping, cabins and fishing. You can fill your plate up in western Colorado very quickly. You all need to figure out your priorities. Yes, there is a natural hot springs. Very nice and very laid back. Just a little worried about the ages of your boys and the suits optional thing with them.
I live in Grand Junction, so can help guide you, but you need to let me know interests and time lines. Phili? HuH? Well, I’ll stick my neck out. Give me some more info!
Jailhouse Rob

Thanks for offering to help with advice Jailhouse. Our specifics are that we are flying from Philly to Albuquerque Sunday week of festival (99 dollar fare, cant beat that!) We will rent a car and drive probably through Santa Fe and maybe Taos. Very likely a stop at Bandolier so the kids can climb ladders into cliff dwellings. Then we will make our way to Telluride. We have a condo from Wed to Mon am. After that we have no reservations and a flight back out of Albuquerque Saturday.
The kids do like to hike and to bike but not serious mountain biking (no technical stuff). The best hikes and bikes for them are ones that give you a reward when you get to your destination and that are 3-4 hours max time for the whole thing.
My husband is an avid fly fisherman and he is trying to set up a day of fishing in Telluride with a guide for all of us. We would like to sightsee as well. Anything amazing to see like the Grand Mesa would be in that category.
My kids probably wouldnt freak out about nude bathers. They have seen topless European women sunbathing in the Carribean, but I would have to check in with them about it. I am assuming the nude hot spring bathers are just bathing and not jumping each other.
All in all we dont want to run around like lunatics but we do like to be active and do a range of activities.
We have never explored Colorado. Hubby and I were in Durango once and saw Mesa Verde.

Some of the best flyfishing waters are the “quality waters” :medal on the San Juan River just below the dam at Navajo Lake in NW New Mexico. Have your hubby check it out.
http://www.sanjuanworm.com/

click on the San Juan River Information tab; that’ll get him excited!

Wow! Never been a tour guide, Okay… you’ve been to Verde. Think with the time you all have, a north loop might be the ticket. Orvis Hot Springs is on the way to Grand Junction. orvishotsprings.com and yes it is a very well run operation. They do have rooms, kinda a hostel. Great place and the people are great. THis is if you should want to go that way. The other way to Grand Jct. is Hwy 145/141, which is a great drive and there is a great car museum in Gateway. Montrose has the Black Canyon National Park. That’s if you do the hot springs and come up Hwy 50. But, maybe base in GJ for acouple of days. 2 hours form Aspen and some gold metal waters on the Roaring Fork River. Glenwoon Springs is the turn off to Aspen and has alot of great history and some great old hotels. Doc Holiday, etc. Grand Junction has the Colorado National Monument for hiking and lots of other stuff. GJ is also Colorado’s wine country and there are a number of wineries in the area. The Monument has some great trails (Balanced Rock, Hell’s Kitchen) and has a 17 mile drive along the cliffs, which is breath taking. Oh…and lots of dinasaurs in the area. From GJ, jump on I-70 to Hwy 128, the Cisco exit. This will start taking you back south and through the canyon going into Moab. Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park. Great area and alot of indian lore and hideout for Buch and Sundance back in the day. South of Moab cut off on Hwy 491 at Monticello, which will run you right back into Cortez. Pretty good loop to get to see the west slope of the Rockies. Jump on the VCB’s for all these towns to get more info. This area has a ton of history and is well worth exploring!
Are you all in a condo in town or in Mountain Village? If in Mtn. Village, you aaare going to love the gondola ride back after the music! If you can, make the kids take one car and you and Hubby take the 2nd car!
Hope all this helps…I could go on and on about the area, but the west slope of the Rockies is quite a hidden gem. You will love the drives! Views you will never forget.
Jailhouse Rob
P.S. If you are in on Wed., you are still able to get into Town Park. After that the camp is closed to only those that have the correct wrist band. So… Wed…come down to TP and say howdy! Just ask anybody where the Jaihouse is. It is said that Butch and Sundance spent a night in this jail. We are their ghosts, I think.