Favorite sets

Ricky Skaggs
Steep Canyon Rangers
Uncle Earl
Emitt-Nurshi (spelling?)

definately sam bush, paulo, brett, duhks, mcoury bros w/ nershi and emmit late night. yeah! cadillac sky rocked too! can’t wait to see them again.

My first Telluride and I loved it all, especially

House Band
Solomon Burke
Steep Canyon Rangers… I really appreciated hearing some serious new bluegrass

Heh! Glad you enjoyed the music from the Tiki Bar. We sure had fun curating it, and I think the musicians all enjoyed themselves. The house band was a mix of Voluntary String Band (band contest finalists! yay!) and Gravy, both Flagstaff bands, plus Pete Kartsounes and his buddy Brendan, plus many other wonderful guests.

Pete took the lead on many of the jams, including the amazing Neil Young and Grateful Dead sets.

If you remember any of the songs you heard while drifting in and out of sleep, I might be able to be more specific - I’ve been sampling some of the dozens of hours of recordings I made at the Tiki Bar today.

Hoping to have pix up soon.

cheers, y’all! BFE! (best festival ever) :thumbsup

dwayne
:cheers :cheers

House Band
Hornsby & Skaggs
Emmit-Nershi
Jerry Douglass
Uncle Earl @ Fly me to the Moon

First I am little aghast nobody has mentioned Jerry’s set. I was in awe. I like him and have most of his music, but his live sets have always been good but not great to my ears. 2008 was the best I’ve heard from about 10-15 sets or concerts I’ve been at. He tackled various forms of acoustic music and did it all with near perfection.

Uncle Earl at Fly me to Moon was hard to beat though (thier main stage set was also pretty good). Almost died from heat but it was worth it. Don’t look past the KC/Kristen tour on the Front Range this week.

[quote author=apollo link=topic=3780.msg27131#msg27131 date=1214

First I am little aghast nobody has mentioned Jerry’s set. I was in awe. I like him and have most of his music, but his live sets have always been good but not great to my ears. 2008 was the best I’ve heard from about 10-15 sets or concerts I’ve been at. He tackled various forms of acoustic music and did it all with near perfection.
[/quote]
It takes a while of reflection for us to filter through the entire experience.
Yes Jerry is a superb performer and he feels like family to me I have seen him so many times. It feels good just to see his face once again and when I hear him play it takes my breath away, everytime :flower

Friday was just plain amazing from start to finish.

I would list my favorite sets from the weekend, but then I’d be listing just about every band that played.

Did anyone see Cadillac Sky?

Yes I did! They were :thumbsup!

“I think this is an old Flatt and Scruggs tune…”

Priceless

I have to agree, Tom … I was totally knocked out by the Frames - took me totally by surprise!

BTW, came home to see CSN on Tuesday night here in Albuquerque - a GREAT way to decompress … they were great - wonderful to hear Crosby with his voice completely back …

Hey Steve
check your Pms …
:cheers

It occurs to me, after having read everyone’s posts that came before and after mine, that picking a favorite set is virtually impossible for me. It’s kind of like picking a favorite child… there are days that my younger daughter and I are more in tune and days where it’s my older daughter that seems to be marching to my drummer.

I awoke this morning thinking that I needed to get some Paulo Nutini for my iPod and am also reminded that I too loved the Jerry Douglas set…

So my favorite “set” was the one that started Thursday AM and ended Sunday PM.

It’s funny how we all experience the same things differently…that’s part of the fun!

I’m a huge flux fan, yet I had a hard time enjoying his set this year. Couldn’t put my finger on it, expect I got a little jaded right at the start when it seemed there was too much electric guitar and not enough flux. One of my friends had the same experience. I still can’t wait to hear the recording though, to see if my opinion changes!

Yonder was as flat as I can remember. From our perspective on the side, we watched something interesting. The whole crowd was on their feet ready to dance. Almost every sing the crowd tried to dance, and generally stopped. It looked like everyone wanted to boogie, but the music didn’t get them there until they added Vince, Sam and Pete to the mix. Our crowd was pretty universal in the opinion Yonder was jamming too late and too hard at Nightgrass to keep the energy up mid afternoon.

You summed it up best Rhon-dawgy!

1/Sam Bush Band (John Oates was a pleasant surprise and I am not a Hall & Oates fan)
2/Skaggs/ Hornsby
3/Swell Season
4/Bela Duos
5/Punch Brothers
6/Yonder Mountain

Glen

LOL… thanks there bud. I’ve been called “Scrawny” in my life, “Brawny” and even Raw-Knee… but never Rhon-dawgy. I like it!

xoxo R

Just for fun, here’s the very unofficial top ten of a tally of two weeks of favorites logged on this thread:

Sam Bush Band (11)
Telluride House Band (11)

Ricky Skaggs and Bruce Hornsby with Kentucky Thunder (7)
Solomon Burke (7)
Hot Rize with Red Knuckles and the Trailblazers (7)

Spring Creek (5)

Uncle Earl (4, and 3 for their Moon set)
Leftover Salmon (4)
Steep Canyon Rangers (4)
The Duhks (4)

I know, I know, I need a post-festival life.

Can I hear them all again so I can remember them? I think I dreamed it all.
I like what Rhon-dawgy said, Thursday to Sunday was just mighty fine!

Been listening to the Brett Dennen set from 2008. Faaantastic. Anyone else notice the float away balloon during the set?

that was DEFINATELY a highlight for me :slight_smile: balloon? refresh my memory . . .