Favorite Classes SS 2017

Everybody’s favorite classes will be different, because, of course, it’s going to depend on your needs. These were mine:

1. Christopher Smith, “Door Number Three: Fostering A Life In Song.” This was geared to those of us who lie somewhere between the two extremes of the touring professional and the casual hobbyist. Those of us for whom music is the #1 thing in our lives, but unable to make a living at it. I hope it’s offered next year.

2. Vance Gilbert, “Covers, Jazz, Jokes, Stories: Round Out Your Live Set.” I had written a song that was way too long be a song, and this class gave me the idea of using it as a spoken word piece. And it was great hearing Vance perform his spoken word piece in the class. I also vote for this to be offered next year.

3. Rachel Sermanni, “Practicing Fearlessness.” It could have been titled, “Writing Nonsense Lyrics.” This was a great help in my lyric writing.

4. Mary Gauthier’s songwriting groups. I make it a point to attend a Mary group every year. I attended her group on Monday in order to get my attitude correct for the rest of the week. I then attended another session later in the week. I like her philosophy that we write songs to heal ourselves, and we perform them to heal others.

5. Rebecca Folsom’s “Zen Mind, Beginner Mind - Painting, Music, and Poetry.” I attended last year as well. Definitely the most fun class at Song School. I hope it’s offered next year as well.

:wave Wow well said now I want to go! :flower