Coming from Australia

Hello everyone,
My partner and I are coming to Rockygrass from Australia.
I have some questions about the festival and camping.
We are just bringing a small tent each and camping chair and Jetboil for coffee. We won’t have much camping gear as the luggage that we can carry is limited…
So I am wondering if there are food and drinks available at the festival or not.
And would there be lots of jamming?? I play flatpicking guitar and I wanna jam, but I don’t think I can bring my guitar this time…
We plan to use public transport from Denver to get to the festival site. It looks easy enough according to Google.
Any advice will be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance and we look forward to meeting you all. :blush::+1:

Welcome! You’re going to have an amazing time! There is plenty of food and bev at the festival as well as in town in Lyons. A jetboil is a great idea as it does make coffee fast, but they also have coffee available at the beer/drinks stand in the morning for a few dollars. In town, the Stone Cup is great.

Regarding camp chairs, if you want to sit up close, ensure they’re low camp chairs that can’t fit a basketball under them.

You’ll want to ensure you have warm clothes and sleeping gear with you in addition to lightweight hot weather clothing as it gets chilly once the sun goes down being the high desert. Layers and rain gear are helpful to have.

There is tons of picking/jamming, especially in the onsite camping closest to the entrance (away from the stage area). That part of the festival is a highlight! I personally don’t know how people are with lending instruments, etc., but someone here would know. Perhaps a rental place could be an option - Rental FAQs. That just came up with a quick search, but others would know better than I would.

Public transport is pretty good here. There have been challenges with the buses filling up to/from the airport, so plan accordingly in that you might not get on the first available bus.

Are you all staying in onsite camping or elsewhere?

Happy to answer any other questions!

1 Like

Hi Christina, Thanks for your reply.

Yes, we will be camping on site.
It’s great to know that there will be lots of food/drinks there.
Do they take credit card/Apple Pay for the transactions? Or cash is better? One other question too, about power. We will have a small power bank to charge our phones, but do you know of there are any charging spots?

I definitely look into instrument rental. Thank you.

Most vendors take cards but welcome cash.

For charging, there’s a spot right by the box office where you can charge your devices!

3 Likes

Hi,

The Wiz got back faster to you than I did - thanks Wiz! Please do ask any other questions. Safe travels!

1 Like

Thank you Christina and TheWiz.
I really appreciate it. We should be able to arrive at the festival on Friday late afternoon, hopefully not too late. If you see us there , you know how we look like, please come say hi. :wave:
We would love to meet you :blush:
Thanks again!

2 Likes

Keep posting questions here, we’re all very helpfull! I don’t think instrument rental will be practical, the town adjacent to the festival has no music store AFAIK. I bet there will be people willing to let you play their guitar on occasion, especially if it’s not an expensive one.

Good luck with making the public transit connections from the airport, it may be challenging, hopefully someone with more experience can chime in. It seems easy to get to central Denver, and if you post your arrival time and ask on here if anyone could give you a lift to Lyons from there.

2 Likes

Hi rfloyd99, Thanks for the reply.
I am a keen trout fisherman and ,because of that, my brain automatically read your name as “Fly Rod”.
Do you do fly fishing for trout? Actually I have another question. I noticed that there’s a river flowing by the festival site. Do you happen to know if you can catch trout there or not? :laughing::fishing_pole_and_fish:

Haha, yes, I’m a fly fisherman, since early 80’s (I’m old…). The stream running by the fest grounds does hold trout. It’s a pretty small stream where it touches the festival, but bigger than what we usually call a creek, although its official name is St. Vrain Creek. People at the fest occasionaly fish it, usually early in the day before most are up and about. I don’t know how successfully though. There’s an interesting shop on main street in Lyons, a very short walk. Google South Creek Ltd as well as St Vrain Creek for more info. The shop owner builds Bamboo rods, and the shop is very interesting IMO. It’s a couple of doors down from my favorite breakfast place, The Barking Dog Cafe. Try the cinnamon roll (a very good version of this American standard), or a breakfast burrito. Feel free to call or text me when you get to the festival. We usually have a good jam going on at our camp (some professional musicians). You can even play my guitar. I’m Riley, 3oh3 92one, nine three 56.

1 Like

Hello Riley,
I just tried to send you a text message from Australia.

My partner Cindy and I are now at the airport as we are attending a 7 day meditation retreat in Denver starting on Friday.

Thank you very much for all the advice.
Our tents are quite small. We have two of “Rhinowolf” tent and another 2p tent for our luggage.
So the footprint would be about 2.5m x 4m

Would it be possible for you to save a spot for us? Not sure that’s possible, but I thought I’d ask anyway.

The on-site picking is top-notch! Definitely would be worth trying to figure out if you could borrow a guitar from someone because the picking is the best part of the festival in my opinion. Perhaps see you around the festival grounds. Im a mando player.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.
I bought a cheap guitar for the festival. So I am all set!! I am looking forward to jamming, though I may not know many songs… if you see us there, please come say hi.

1 Like