colorado camping

would anyone like to recommend a cool camp ground in central to southwestern co. my wife and i would like to camp somewhere after RG. someplace i can drive my mini van to and has facilities. we’re going to end up in durango at the end of the week.

There is a KOA campground just north of a town called Ouray which is on the northern boarder of the San Juan mountains. That would be nice and a straight shot to Durango. Also try the town of Silverton for a real mountain experience. There are a couple camp grounds there but don’t know their names offhand. And, just north of Silverton there are plenty of old mining roads you can pull off onto and camp.

check out Great Sand Dunes National Park

A lot of camping that fits your needs. http://www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisit/lodging.htm

:wave

Don’t know exactly what you mean by facilities but…

South Mineral Creek is a NFS campground 6 mi. WNW of Silverton. Camp host, shared water, no electricity, vault toilets, 9800 ft elev, streams right by camp. Great area, you feel out in middle of nowhere, but only 6 mi outside of town on good roads (2mi paved, 4 good dirt/gravel). You can get hot showers (5 bucks) at RV parks in Silverton which has groceries and restaurants.

On 550 south of Silverton is Molas Lake campground. Used to be/may be still owned by town of Silverton. Check that out online and call ahead.

In addition to the KOA, Ouray has Amphitheater campground. If in Ouray, check out the public hot springs- very developed, but you can find about any water temp you might want there.

Of these, my favorite is easily South Mineral, more off the beaten path and we like to hike and fish.