Bringing the kids - What do I need to know/bring?

Traveling cross-country by air and bringing two kids (6 and 9 years old) - what tips do you for us? We will not be camping.

• will bring in our own food/water
  • we will have hats, sunscreen, etc
  • tarp to stake out some space and hopefully hit up walmart for a cooler and some chairs
  • plan to tube! Can we bring our own tubes?

First of all, welcome to the Folks Fest! You and your kiddos will love it!
Here’s a few things that come to mind:

1. You can bring your own tubes. Just pick some up at Walmart. You can get them in town, but it’s just as much to rent them (the big rubber kind) as it is to buy them (any kind you want).
  2. Chairs - You’ll want low back chairs if you want to be closer to the stage. There are sections on the side and back for high back chairs.
  3. Read the tarp run section: https://bluegrass.com/folks/festival-info/general-info. The shady spots will be snatched up quickly, for good reason. Many of us bring our own shade, a canopy or at least umbrella. Those are also only allowed on the side or in the back.
  4. You can bring in unopened drinks, but no booze. I’m pretty sure we’ve brought food in for our littles, but I can’t remember the rules on that one.
  5. What else… water shoes. The river runs throughout the festival. it’s a fabulous place to cool off, but it’s you know, a river. Foot protection is nice.
  6. There is plenty of food, drinks, ice cream, shopping,… in the festival. You’ll need cash for those, but here are ATMs in the festival.
    That’s all I can think of for now. I’ll check back and see if you have any questions.
    Andi

Thanks!!
Will plan to buy tubes to bring in.
How about life jackets - should we bring them for the kids? They aren’t strong swimmers but if the current isn’t rough and they can stand then they would probably be ok without.

Better to have them and not need them than to have your child washed downstream unexpectedly. :flower

Normally I’d say they might not need them. However, this has been a crazy year for runoff so you might as well grab a few cheap ones.

Thanks!

Just in case anyone reads this before going to the 2020 festival, bring hearing protection! Extremely good hearing protection for both you and the kids. People were going to the first aid tent to get earplugs, but they ran out. The volume is OK most of the day, but gets dangerous later.