Billy Strings & Chris T - line up position?

I did a quick search and couldnt find the answer…

When do BS & CT play?
This has been a point of contention with our tarp crew and I figured we’d get a quicker reply here than pinging Planet Bluegrass. Folks are planning their Thursdays.

Some think they would be playing later in the evening, but others think they open the festival since Chris T seems to do this frequently.

Based on how the line ups for the other days are listed, it appears that they are indeed playing first.

Anyone have any confirmation?

Thanks!

Oh, yes. Billy and Chris are the opening act of the 51st Telluride Bluegrass Festival! Get your tarp down!

3 Likes

Thanks! :+1:

Going to be one hell of a start to the Festival! It’ll be interesting to see how PB deals with the Billy fans who will no doubt be trying to stand at the pit fence, and I’m certain there will be quite a few folks trying to sneak in for that set.

2 Likes

Yeah Im wondering what the vibe will be like. Ive never been to TBF on a Thursday but Im seriously considering adding Thursday tix this year. Ive been lucky enough to see BS at his Renewal Fest and Im curious about how opening for the TBF will compare.

The vibe is quite different. We were at the first two Renewal tests, and had a great time. One of the biggest differences I’ve found is the people who go to TBF are much more outgoing and friendly, you’d have to be a complete loner to not meet and become friends with your neighbors at TBF, where at Renewal I found most people stuck with their groups and didn’t mingle and meet their neighbors. Another big difference is there’s much more music, and activities happening at TBF. Obviously there’s way more bands playing with 4 full days of music starting in the morning and running until 2am with Nightgrass, also most the attendees also play music and especially in Town Park there will be campground picking until the sun comes up every night! There’s also a workshop stage in town where you can catch some intimate performances, and get to hear some great stories. And, if you count Firstgrass there’s really 5 days of official music! Buena Vista is beautiful, but there’s really no place that compares to the amazing sites of just being in Telluride, and that Gondola ride will blow your mind!

3 Likes

I dig the vibe of both, just never been to a Thursday morning opening at TBF.

But with BS and CT both playing I may need to amend this year’s plans. =-)

Do you need tickets for Thursday?

Not just yet as we’re still deliberating, but I’ll ping you if we do!

I should have worded that better to say "does one need tickets for Thursday? I wonder if I need to purchase one?

It’s included with the regular festival ticket so as long as you have a 4 day or associated camping whivh includes a festival entry pass, you’re good to go!

3 Likes

Haha got ya.
Yeah you need a ticket whether it’s a single day ticket for Thursday or part of your 4 day weekend pass. We only have Fri and Sat so would need to buy Thursday if we decide we would want to see BS & CT.

1 Like

Whew! Thank you for easing my newbie mind. I thought I had missed something.

2 Likes

:smiley: :+1:

Planet Bluegrass released the schedule today. Thile and Billy Strings will be the 1st act of the weekend, Thursday at noon. Kinda strange this year. Normally the gates open at 9, and Thile would start at 10. But gates at 9 on Thursday, and looks to be a 3 hour break before Thile and Billy hit the stage. I’m guessing they are expecting a huge line that morning, and want to make sure the Billy Goats are able to get into the venue before he starts.

2 Likes

Thanks for the additional details.
Yeah, the Goats got to get their merch! =-)
Last Renewal I was at, Im pretty sure there were more people worried about getting a T than actually watching the show. It was odd.

Thanks again!

For what it’s worth, Chris Thile’s opening set is ALWAYS my favorite set of the festival. He has been the opener for over a decade now. It’s just magic—his virtuoso mandolin rippling through the valley. I can’t even imagine how incredible the set with BMFS is going to be! I imagine it will be similar to the jams they did this winter in New York—aka, EPIC. It’s going to be a lot more about experimentation and artistry and camaraderie, than individual star power. I

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: ISO 2 Thursdays

Never been to the opening on Thursday so we pulled the trigger and got tix. =-)

3 Likes

Has it really been a decade already?? Doesn’t seem like he’s been opening for that long…