Beware: issues driving to Telluride (US Highway 50 Closed)

Some of you might not be aware the route via Gunnison to Montrose on US highway 50 has been effectively closed due to an issue with a bridge that crosses the Blue Mesa reservioir. It’s going to be a long time before it’s fixed

There appears to be a “local access route”, but apparently it is only for Gunnison, Hindsdale, and Montrose county residents. Personally, I wouldn’t try this unless you’re from one of these counties.

So, depending upon where you’re coming from, it’s either I70 or southern route through Pagosa → Durango → Rico.

Far less impactful, but still a bit of a nuisance, there are ongoing projects:

1.) one a few miles south of Colona

2.) another near the Ophir turn-off; both of which will be ongoing througout the summer.

4 Likes

It does look like if you fly into Montrose there will be no issue, you can get to Telluride easily without this being any problem.

True, but a lot of folks drive in from the front range and further out … and this could easily fly under the radar.

1 Like

How long is the I-70 route from Denver to Telluride? I’m coming from Castle Rock and just wondering if it is going to be a big hassle.

It’s 362 miles from Denver to Telluride via I-70.

All things being equal, it would have roughly been the same amount of time on hwys 285 / 50 vs I70 … even from Castle Rock.

Having said that, it never hurts to check cotrip.org and/or google maps; especially if you’re coming in from or going to even further south such as the Colorado Springs area, and traveling west on a Friday or east on a Sunday (when I70 sees huge traffic). In which case, the southern route through Pagosa might make more sense.

You can also take highway 24 through Buena Vista to highway 70 instead of going all the way to Denver.

1 Like

Thanks guys! I have to be in Leadville that Monday before so I’ll just go a day early and extend my vacation!

Hwy 50 from Gunnison to Montrose has consistently had huge delays due to road construction for a few summers running. Strongly advise against going that route.

You’re not wrong (and have no idea about the status of construction), but just to be clear: the closure of the bridge / highway is unrelated to the construction project. These are two separate issues.

It’s not simply a matter of a delay, it’s a complete closure at the bridge. Unless you have a local county sticker (or some other proof), you’ll be turned and will likely spend far more time having to backtrack to the alternate routes.

Oh no! I was hoping to get to Crested Butte after the festival. This would have been the fastest route. Am I wrong to think there is not another way to get to CB, without driving all the way around the mountains?

This was a really helpful tip, thanks for the heads up! :frowning:

Well, a potential way to get to Crested Butte could be to go north of Montrose to Delta, take highway 92 through Hotchkiss and Paonia to highway 12, Kebler Pass road which brings you right into Crested Butte. Kebler Pass is dirt for a stretch, but hard-packed and easily passable. I’ve taken my street bike over it and it was fine. It’s a very pretty route. Best of luck!

1 Like

Yeah I am coming from Colorado Springs and I will be doing the Cottonwood Pass and Kebler Pass instead of 50.

Thanks! I am glad there is a way!