Babies at TBF

my wife & i will be celebrating our 11th TBF this year. we are keenly debating whether to bring our new son or have him wait a year. he will be 12 months old when the bagpipes start playing (born 6/20/11). we think we can imagine all the pro’s & cons, but would appreciate any advice from those who’ve “been there done that”…

Just saw three Furthur shows over NYE and noticed actually quite a few mothers carrying their babies or small children. This was in a smokey crowded indoor arena with spun out wooks and people who are generally very loaded. Which is probably end of the spectrum vs. the TBF which offers the space and safety he needs.

There’s also a much more orderly way of partioning out out family sections in the back at TBF vs. most concerts.

Bringing kids to shows is ALWAYS a big thread topic on any of the music message boards for bands which have “followings”.

I’m sure there are those here with first hand experience who can relay their experiences or tips with babies at the TBF.

:wave Babies and Dogs at loud, smokey and crowded music events … Now that’s what I call quality time. Your just not doing them any favors . I always get concerned when I see a new mom show her baby off , front and center, in front of the blarring speakers.

I have a friend who was an accomplished climer. When he had his son he was determined to not let it change his life. He straped his baby on him when he was just a few months old. Yes he reached the summit alright and his new baby boy had 3rd degree burns on his face from the sun.

Life does change and you must adjust. They grow so fast, such a small sacrafice for such a worth while cause.
PBG continues to be family friendly and always acommadating.

So all is not lost :medal Yep I agree!

Sorry to disagree with Landshark but we brought our (then) 8 month old daughter and had a wonderful festival. She has been back every year since (now 5). We pitched a sunshade in the sunshade area and sat on a blanket out of the sun most of the day playing and napping and grooving to the music and vibe that is Telluride. One of us would go up front to see what we wanted to see. Put ear plugs in (our little one) and squatted on someone elses tarp up front for a few of the quieter and less crowded acts and everyone had a fabulous time. Of course having a little one means forgoing the bigger night acts and (at least for us) it seemed like a good idea to get a condo/hotel rather than camp (better baths, naps, night sleeping etc) but it is still Bluegrass for all.

There is a ton of info regarding Bluegrass with kids on older posts throughout the Forum.

Oh I’m sorry you must of misunderstood me. Fest is great family fun! However some fests are just not ment for little ones. PBG is Family friendly for sure. But like an Alice In Chains concert is totally out. :lol

I’m probably the voice of authority on this one, since all 3 of our kids have been coming their whole lives (unless we don’t get tickets this year, hint, hint), the youngest at 12 weeks. And we’re really odd, since we even camp in Town park with them.

Ear protection is a must. Don’t bother with the ear plugs, start getting them used to the over-the-ear shooter protection now (use them when you vacuum).

Remember who runs the show. You may miss the act you most want to see.

Set up some shade way in the back. Yes, you can’t see the stage as well, but it’s quieter and you can protect your precious snowflake from the sun.

Bring a few of their favorite toys and books

Be ready for a hurricane, a blizzard, and scorching desert heat.

Be prepared to point smokers to the signs Planet Bluegrass posts asking them to smoke in the back of the festival.

Be prepared for them to decline, forcing you to leave.

Family tent. Even for a 12-month old, there’s fun to be had.

It’s not only doable, it’s a blast. Prepare, roll with the punches, expect the worse and enjoy the best.

~Jeff

No worries Landshark, sorry to misread. Agree with everything HuckinFappy said. Ear protection (you can easily trim a foam plug with a tiny flange and secure with a piece of medical tape) and sunscreen are important and there is a huge community of those with little ones to be found under the sunshades and in the family area (fine and fun even at 12 months). Rolling with the punches is good advice for everyone but essential for those with kids. Our little one has been asking “when is Telluride” since Thanksgiving. I guess she is officially a Festivarian…

Sweetness! I love to watch the fest kids. Fresh air and sunshine and at TBF lots of room to move . Feels like one big happy and kids are a huge reason why.
Kids are fun, I had a killer watergun fight with a sweet boy whom I will remember and target next fest :evil Lil Devil, got me good. :medal

Hey, Jeff we have you beat…Well, we only have 2 kids but Alex did his 1st at 5 weeks…LOL Yes, it works at Telluride… Follow all the advice that Jeff just gave… Our kids are now 14 and 16. They have done it every summer so far. As stated, we did one with a newborn and a 1 yr old…LOL

I’ve watched Jeff & Tessa with their 3, and Deb & Steve with their 2, since 2007. Trust me when I tell you that you have been given EXPERT ADVISE! :thumbsup

As Jeff said, if you remember who’s in charge (meaning cater to THEIR needs at altitude) & consider the adventure your child’s intro to the music, you’ll do no wrong!

Bring the family. You won’t regret a minute at FESTIVVVAAALLL!!!

Auntie Hope :festivarian2 :green

Hmmmm, only one person comes to mind when I hear the name “Cowboy Coffee”.
If the individuals behind this post are a certain Craig and Amber… then it’s a must that you make your return and induct that child into the great hall of Bluegrass!

Our three have attended since before they could walk. We liked to set up a small tent, as people don’t walk through as w/ a shade hs. We would set up in a back corner, there are plenty of out of the way places. Swimmer’s Wax works quite well w/ a small band-aid from back of ear to little triangle thing that probably has a name; cut foam OK, but I like the SW a bit better. It is so fun to follow where they lead in a safe, though diverse, and very entertaining environment. You may spend more time in the Childrens’ Area, though at that age everything seemed more attractive than one thing, for mine. Certainly, the fest seems to have changed character, as I’ve had to respond more, of course I’ve changed more than the fest. Although indoor space fine, camping at Town Park is TITS. You can hear the music just fine and the kids sleep through it. Not to mention you can find a top quality break w/ company at almost anytime of your festival experience.

I’ll let my nine year-old give her advice: “Daddy, it wouldn’t be summer without Telluride.” After several TBF (including little sister, who is now 5), she can’t imagine not making the trip. The little guy will thank you.