WARNER FIELD LOTTERY!!

Don’t take that so literal J man. How about this folks, " the traditional camps add to the Fest" . :flower

GEEEESH :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

RELAX! :flower This is not a call for war we are on a forum, so serious, that’s exactly what I mean by needing a vet to show the way.
Don’t take me so seriously. This is just my opinion like it or not . :flower

And just for the record I have never camped at W or TP but I have purchased a ticket to get inside to play. And just for the record I have been pulled into the camps for all the fun that ensues and that is why you are missin the whole enchilada my friend. It is about kinship, our history and connection to the Fest, common ground, R & R and music. Not only the great lineup on the stage but also feeding off of eachothers talent in the campgrounds…which I hope to do this June.

Please do not take me sooooo literal.
And I have to add, what defines the mean is the repeats and we are strong in numbers, not just the campers but all the folks that come year after year. :medal

OK I’m done here I have to go move heavy furniture now. :lol :lol :lol

Have a great day :flower :cheers :flower

I am immensely grateful for the Historical Camps and find myself to be still somewhat of a Newbie since my first TBF was only in 2009. So with that being said, I respond to this debate with the following:

Danicing Fingers & Billy Beru… Both good points… Newbies deserve an opportunity for prime land AND Historical Camps deserve to continue Festivating in their traditional ways for the sake of TP, WF, and the TBF in general.

As much as I will eat my own words saying this… a TP and WF lottery seems like a good move to keep the tickets a fair prize for us all come November.

:cheers

Just brainstorming here…

Run a lottery as follows:

• Allocate one portion the tickets using a lottery in which only repeat customers can be drawn (size it relative to what percentage of customers are repeat).
  • Allocate the rest of the tickets using a lottery in which anybody who did not get a ticket in the first lottery can be drawn.

That way, anybody can get in, but the odds are weighted in favor of repeat customers. Furthermore, if the proportion of new customers to repeat customers increases, that advantage decreases. If the amount of available tickets decreases relative to the total number of people who want them, the repeat customers’ advantage increases (though their overall odds decrease).

I just had a really funny idea…does anyone remember S & H Green Stamps. For every dollar you spend you get a stamp and when your book is full of stamps you get to redeem them for merchandise . So why not for each fest you attend you get a stamp collected in a book and when your syber book is full you can redeem this book for choice real estate, TP or Warner :flower

SSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee thats what I’m talkin bout! I like that S :medal

While I believe that everyone deserves a fair shot at TP tickets (which I will certainly disagree with upon getting shut out next year), the reason that the traditional camps and associated campers are preferable is that they “get it”.

I’ve been attending for the last 12 years or so, and have always been SO enamored by the community feeling you get in TP. One year on the Wednesday night before fest, I had my tent all set up and was suddenly told to move cuz it was too close to the river (there was no signage nor yellow tape so I was NOT happy). But I had to move so I walked around and just asked people if this tarp was REALLY taken, how about that one, etc. Finally, one of the Fishboners (probably need a better name for them) told me to stand by. He went around to everyone he knew, and came back to me with a space AND people to help me move.

The next year, I again had to arrive late, and had no untarped area anywhere in sight. Ron & Deb to the rescue - “here ya go - you can set up right here. Now let me help you with that tent.”

TP veterans helping out. And then there was THIS year…

We arrive at TP on the Friday before the fest. I had never seen TP so crowded with tarps. But knowing that there was plenty of untarped spaces between the huge tarps, we started to set up camp. “Hey, this is OURS!”, sid the irate man. Huh? Yours? “Yes OURS! We paid to be here in this campground, and so it’s totally OURS.” Well, sure, but tomorrow morning at 8am, it’s open, so would you mind me setting up here where there is NOT a tarp? “Yes! This is ours and we’re going to add even more tarps.” I’m not looking for much space here… “It doesn’t matter - this is ours. Do you want us to call the authorities?” Whoa, all these spots are going to be filled - have you ever camped here in TP? “No, but we are within our rights!” Jeez, you apparently don’t understand what TP is all about. We’ll look elsewhere (dickhead).

Next area, next newbie, same outcome. As they said in the Holy Grail, they had “HUUUUGE Tracts of land” but they OWNED them. Uh, ok.

We eventually found a place, and were not at all surprised to see empty tarps and large camp-able areas still there in “their” land throughout the entire festival. One of the groups used a huge tent-able area to park their bikes.

The newbies, so worried that their camp just wasn’t big or exclusive enough, just didn’t understand the festivarian spirit. Their thoughts were to keep people away, instead of helping the person who could soon be your next new friend.

So yeah, everyone should get a chance at TP tickets. But the newbies need to listen to the vets on what an honor it is to have t TP ticket, and that they have to do their best to be true festivarians.

(Sorry for this rant. Last year’s un-fest-like interactions really got me upset, and seeing perfect camping spots go to waste is just stupid. I just hope this “everyone for themselves” attitude was an aberation!)

Myself and a large group of friends attended TBF for the first time this year, and we all had an incredible time while camping at the Lawson Hill campground. Obviously I have no dog in the Warner Field fight.

With that said, can someone explain to me what is Festivarian about trying to exclude newbs from attending the festival, or to be more specific, staying in certain campgrounds? I understand that many of you have been attending this festival for years, but I don’t want to live in a society that “THAT’S THE WAY IT’S ALWAYS BEEN” is an acceptable argument. Enlighten me, folks.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot. I didn’t want to post and stir the pot more, but here goes. I’ve been coming to Telluride for five years now. I spent my first two years in Illium and loved it.

My third year, my brother and I were able to score Town Park tickets for our group and ended up camping by the river. The year after that, my brother was unable to make it, so I went by myself. I arrived in Town Park without a real idea of where I was going to camp, but was quickly approached by a few different “Historical Camps.” I ended up camping with Run a Muck, even though I didn’t know any of them and had an amazing time. Festivarians from all camps (WanderIn, Tikki, Cascadia, Pink Elephant, Duk Tape etc. etc.) welcomed me into the fold and family.

The Historical Camps are an incredibly welcoming group of people and are by no means trying to exclude newcomers and festivirgins. Every year, virgins from all across the country find home with the Historical Camps and many of them return and become festi-vets themselves.

The Veterans aren’t trying to exclude anyone from Town Park, either. Most of these camps put on a myriad of events for the Town Park community that anyone and everyone is welcome to attend. The veterans are some of the greatest people I’ve ever met. If you wander into their campground in the middle of the night, they’re not going to kick you out or give you the cold shoulder. They’ll give you a seat where you can watch the picking, or a home-made drink that you’ll probably regret in the morning. The Historical Camps may not make the festival, but they definitely make Town Park. Without these events and people, TP wouldn’t be anywhere near as in demand as it is. We all come together, newcomers and veterans alike, every summer because we love music and we love community and we love to help one another. That’s what this festival represents to me.

With all due respect, and I’m not suggesting you don’t have a right to do this, but it does add to the “exclusion” some folks are discussing here. If you’re going to stay in a condo, taking up a TP wristband means one less newbie (or someone else) can stay in TP and experience all the TP culture. I’ve been able to camp in TP once in the last 5 years. It was fun. But I wouldn’t take a ticket I didn’t plan on using. I can have enough fun with my festifamily inside the grounds and at nightgrass, etc., without keeping someone else out of a campsite.

Hot Sugar -

Well said. I’ve been coming to TBF for 16 years and I’ve never camped in TP or WF, so I don’t really have any skin in this game. I think some of the comments from the TP vets that “get it” came off sounding pretty bad, although that probably wasn’t the intention. Your comments are really much more in line with what I believe the true spirit of TP to be. I hope all you vets and traditional camps get the campsites you need and that you meet and befriend some newbies too.

Have a great day.

WF thats the xtra ticket never TP because it is so difficult to aquire. My camp spot is a quiet space for some much needed time out for me and my neighbor campers at times. I pay for the ticket like everyone else and do not purchase every year. So shoot me, this is not an infraction kind sir. I just wanted to get to know my Forum friends better at their camps and play after the last set. Period. I got the ticket with the same chances eveyone else has. No infraction sir just maxing out my joy potential :flower

NOT bashing anyone, especially my girlfriend Landshark.

Town Park is OPEN TO EVERYONE from Landrush Saturday (6/15/2013) to Wednesday night (6/19/2013) before the official FESTIVVVAAALLL!!! starts. Everybody is WELCOME to pick, play and party with the Town Park Vets for those 5 days.

We do however ask, if you are going to pick, play and party in Town Park, that you contribute to the best of your ability. Bring your instrument, bring something for the event taking place and stay to help clean up afterward. It’s the Festivarian way!

Auntie Hope :festivarian2 :green

:wave OK so I did not mean to stir this pot, this pot of conflict
I just express myself and so I am sorry for creating some sort of contraversey :rolleyes geshhhh.

So this Lottery, We Want It!!!We Need It!!! And Can We Have It, soonnnnnnnnnnn. How about early this year, lets just get the suspense over already>>>> :lol :cheers

The lottery is Nov 5-14. Last year, ticket prices for Warner and TP were $275. Any word on whether they’ll stay the same or go up?

My mistake, landshark, I either misunderstood or it wasn’t clear you were referring to WF. :(Apologies aplenty!

No worries friend as you can see it is hard for me not to express myself…love all feedback.

I never meant to sound like I hate newbies. I, too, have never felt so welcomed as by the traditional camps, and ALWAYS do my best to help out any newbies that come around. It just rubbed me the wrong way when 2 groups of newbies came off so rudely last year. I hope that, by the end of the fest, they figured out that there was no reason to have that attitude, and that smiling and working together is what makes TP such a great place to camp.

Sorry if I sounded offensive - it was sincerely not my intent.

Oh what the heck…I’ll throw in my 2¢ here…I should probably get at least 1¢ change though :lol

First off, what “makes the fest”? Nobody can define that for anyone else. Sure, for some people it’s strictly the music. For some (especially out-of-staters), it’s the scenery, the mountain biking, the hiking, the weather. For some, it’s seeing our family. For others, it’s just stopping the world for a few days/weeks and recharging. The “It’s the music!” people don’t understand the rest of us, and that’s okay, as long as we respect each other. For me, the music is part of an awesome soundtrack to the most perfect week of my year. The soundtrack changes every year, and the week wouldn’t be as perfect without it…sort of like “Star Wars” wouldn’t be the same without John William’s soundtrack.

What do the Historical camps offer? Why should we care about them being in Town park? It’s a little thing called “tradition”. See, Planet Bluegrass provided the blank slate, and over the years the attendees made it into what they wanted. So now it’s like an established tribal existence. We have our traditions, our feasts, we raise each other’s kids, we share in each others’ weddings. We even have some established tribal elders, who we all talk to when we’re experiencing problems we need to resolve. The Historical camps don’t “make the fest”, but they do provide an self-sustaining and self-regulating infrastructure and framework for campers to exist in.

That being said, we need newbies! Without a regular influx of new people to bring in new ideas, new talents, new smiles and new love, we risk stagnating and becoming stale and boring. So we welcome newbies, we want you there. We want you to have fun, we want to make you part of the family. We want to love you. But we also expect a certain respect for the traditions we’ve developed over time. This doesn’t mean we expect you to defer to us and treat us like your superiors at all, we just don’t expect you to come into our living room and crap on our coffee table, if we crap in the kitchen sink.

And that’s all part of the gig now. Our traditions are part of the Town park experience. If you want “in” to town park, and you don’t care if any of the old-timers/veterans/historical camps get in, then you don’t get it. That’s like wanting to go to a concert hall when it’s empty, ordering a steak without the meat, or drinking non-alcoholic beer.

When I started wandering into Town park 23 years ago, I learned from anyone I met who had been there before me. It helped me feel like I was “home”. Now, when i return “home” every June, I know the family members will be different, and I’ll meet some new ones. That’s awesome, and I can’t wait to do it again with you all in a few short months!

[quote author=HuckinFappy link=topic=16774.msg88472#msg88472 date=1350343203]
Oh what the heck…I’ll throw in my 2¢ here…I should probably get at least 1¢ change though :lol

The Historical camps don’t “make the fest”, but they do provide an self-sustaining and self-regulating infrastructure and framework for campers to exist in.

Our traditions are part of the Town park experience. If you want “in” to town park, and you don’t care if any of the old-timers/veterans/historical camps get in, then you don’t get it. That’s like wanting to go to a concert hall when it’s empty, ordering a steak without the meat, or drinking non-alcoholic beer.
(quote]

:lol :medal :lol :medal :cheers

I’ll give you 5 cents change on that one Jeff. :flower

The people in Town Park that “get it” all know and follow one sentiment; Sharing.
We share our space. We share our food. We share our happiness. We share our love.

The one thing we don’t want to be is elitists. We want to share the joy that is being part of a community, a family, a gathering of friends.

If you want to come into Town Park and put up barricades so nobody trespasses on your scene then we would rather you find some other place to “enjoy” yourselves.

It’s still the summer of love for us old hippies and that’s the way we plan to stay.

Let’s just hope that as we age we can still be young enough to carry on some of those traditions. :cheers