The Pilgrimage to Telluride: Worth the drive?

The first three times I went to Telluride, I lived in northwest Colorado, so I always drove. It was only about 6 hours, plus a couple of stops for booze and groceries. This summer, I live back in South Texas, so I’m doing the long-haul drive for the first time. I’m borrowing my dad’s big SUV, since mine is ancient, and driving it long distances is starting to make me nervous. I’m thinking of spending the first night in Santa Fe, or maybe leaving a day early so I can spend a couple of nights there and explore. I work remotely now with no set hours, so I can really do what I want (hallelujah!). I absolutely can’t wait to make that drive into the box canyon!

Awesome! Where ya from in South Texas? I was born & raised in Victoria.

Oh nice! I’m originally from Beeville. I live in San Antonio now, though. I have lots of family and friends in your neck of the woods!

We make the drive from the far eastern side of the DFW area. Generally, we leave in the afternoon and drive all night, stopping for an hour here or there to rest. Then generally we will make it to the Albuquerque area/Santa Fe area/Raton area around dawn. We vary the route… a lot of different ways to go that aren’t significantly different in time/distance. Can’t say I don’t wish the drive was a bit shorter. The first 8-9 hours of the drive are always the same and fairly boring after you have done it so many times.

After festival we will usually head out to somewhere else for a week or three. Last year we spent 3 weeks and made it all the way to Whistler and Tofino on the west coast of Vancouver Island. Now THAT was a hell of a drive home. :lol

oh wow! now that is awesome! take me with yall!!

definitely and its a beautiful drive! :thumbsup

Might be a bit difficult drive from Cortez for the time being

Rockslide with house sized boulder

Heard about this yesterday, Bummer!

What are the odds this can be fixed in less than 2.5 weeks?

Its massive! Highly unlikely to be open anytime soon.
damn that was my chosen route…

Yep, usually how I come in. Although, I don’t think I’ll mind taking 550 to 62!

Thats the new one now…
However we are heading to Rico first to visit some friends so it’s a bit of a reroute :drive

“One of the boulders is currently on the highway, and is estimated to be 48’ by 18’ by 18’ and weigh about 2.3 million pounds, according to Schwantes. The other crossed the highway, “blew out an eight-foot trench,” and is estimated to be 50’ by 50’ by 26’ and weigh 8.5 million pounds.” – CDOT

holy shiiiiiiit!

Awesome! Where ya from in South Texas? I was born & raised in Victoria.
[/quote]
Actually, Alex, we’ve met! Billy Strings at Antone’s in Austin last November - I was standing in front of you. I’ll see you in Telluride in a few weeks!

I’ve only gone over Red Mountain Pass as a passenger in the winter with my Dad (not a winter driver) behind the wheel. It was terrifying. I keep telling myself it isn’t so bad in the summer…

Actually, Alex, we’ve met! Billy Strings at Antone’s in Austin last November - I was standing in front of you. I’ll see you in Telluride in a few weeks!
[/quote]
OoOo I remember! We had a good time at that show! Hell yeah, see ya in Town Park!

Pictures on the BBC

There’s been a flagger posted 24x7 just to the south of the TMV entrance (actually just past ski ranches entrance). They’re stopping all southbound traffic to warn motorists about road closure.

While it might be a while before all of the debris is cleared and road repaired, I believe they’ll likely have a one lane temporary makeshift road operational sooner than later … although haven’t heard a timeline on this either.

Assuming this is the case, it’d likely only be a 15 minute delay vs. 2 hours going the “long way”.

I agree, i think theyll have a 1 lane “shoulder” around it until the road is back up.

Just saw this: