Lawson hill campground

Anyone know anything about Lawson hill or the national park? Which would y’all prefer? Plus and minuses please. No one likes to respond to threads but please give me some info

Don’t know about the National Park. Lawson Hill is 7 miles out of town, is an official campground of TBF, and there is a shuttle to and from the fest all through the day.

Auntie Hope :festivarian2 :green

I thought it was Mary E that was seven miles. Not important, though.
The family camped at the nat. park four years ago and loved it. Good vibe, cool river to pass the time by, and the shuttle wasn’t that bad. We’d do it again if we didn’t have a place lined up in town. No experience with Lawson, though.

Lawson is a nice place to stay. Shuttles were frequent and only crowded at the end of the day when the shows were over. If you forget to bring something and have to go back out, its irritating because of the time it takes. The only time you really spend there is to sleep. I had a friend who stayed at the high school and we found that to be a little more convenient. Overall not a bad campground though.

Just a reminder that the High School campground is “Family Friendly/Kid Friendly” and all normal rules for no alcohol still apply during the festival. It is still public property and federal laws do apply all the time. There is also a “Quiet Time” in place during the fest. Not your average party campground.

Sorry if I had the Illium & Lawson campgrounds confused. :slight_smile:

Auntie Hope :festivarian2 :green

The wife and I honeymooned T-ride last year. Stayed in Lawson ball park and loved it. Shuttles are only a hassle if you are not organized. When you get to the top of the hill make sure you have EVERYTHING you want or need to take to the fest. There was also 2 stops so you had some warning to get up and head for 2nd stop. We got to T-ride on Tuesday and had prime choice for tent spots. Ballfield filled up quickly by Thursday but was never crowded. We brought bikes which was nice since the shuttles don’t run til Wednesday.
Thanks to all festivarians for the great time and to all on this forum for the advice. We WILL be back.

when you say “national park” are we talking about Mary E. :huh It’s definitely a noticeable distance further than Lawson, but the payoff is more of a camping experience, including fires (some communal). Shuttles are the same; just a longer ride to Mary E. If you plan on spending most of your time in town, Lawson is great - open ball field refugee style. We use our bikes a lot there, even in place of the shuttle. Just park a few up the hill and a few in town and everything’s a 5-10 minute ride away! Can also use the gondola to mountain bike trails that can lead you back to Lawson. You might be able to find a more private spot at Mary E., but there’s plenty of partying happening at both. High School is definitely the best location (right in town), but ONLY if you want a quiet place to sleep, eat, change, etc… and that’s all.

Been staying in the Lawson valley for a number of yrs now… Wonderful music “sharing” neighbors hard ground so pack strong tent stakes but all in all. Good place… I’ll be there again :thumbsup

Just for the record I’d love to be enjoying the great and wonderful :woohoo happening in TP but Lawson has some of it’s own :woohoo and it will sell out pretty quick. Busses aren’t that bad, fun place to get to know your fellow campers. Rides home are usual packed and some of the :drive drivers figured out if you don’t turn on the heat the drunken festi’s don’t :hooch But it’s always great to get a good sing-a-long going :drunk

This is a funny post…but one thing about the drivers.

Going to Mary E, we had the same guy a couple of times. Real cool dude, wish I could remember his name, but he was a big fan of Sinatra…on the Thursday night it was a big singalong…then by Saturday when we realized he had the same disc on repeat the whole weekend, by the time Luck Be a Lady came on we were ready to :hooch

BE SURE TO CONFIRM DRIVERS MUSICAL TASTES BEFORE RIDING! :lol

Found this info while browsing through the old post.

Hi all,
I see that that there isnt much discussion surrounding Lawson Hill, not since 2012. This will be my first year and guessing if I dont score lotto camping tix I plan to park myself at Lawson for the week. What’s it like here? Whats the vibe? Things to consider… So So SO looking forward to 2016!

I have not been at lawson for a few years but we nicknamed it awesome Hill because it is and it’s where I will end up tp is full… Just consider yourself blessed being able to be part of such a great show but I personally have some really great memories and it’s great being next door to Cindy bread that place has the best breakfast and there’s never a long line good luck my fellow festivarian